PDA

View Full Version : my experience at Speedtech....

kope
06-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Hey all this isnt a flame or anything just kind of a little dissapointment on my behalf id like to know if anyone has experience similar issues with Speedtech because i have heard some peoples comments.(kinda longer..)

I bought some Tein SS coilovers from speedtech recently i got a good price on them i feel to! :thumbsup: however the problem came when the install happend. I dont know much about cars so i thought i better let some pros handle it so i did. The install was pre agreed to work out to 180 bux..

okay i thought fine, i got the car back the install went up to 280 bux without even telling me! I asked why they said that some nuts didnt have lube on them so it took an extra 2 hours of labour to get them off.. my car has only been serviced at acura (04 rsx) so i thought okay acura messed up no problem..

about a week later my front coilovers are making a weird clunking noise when i hit bumps i didnt think this was normal so i called a buddy he came to look at the coils and lone behold none of the bolts were tight!! i could have tightened them harder with my hand!! but i called speedtech and they said that must have happend because itook to many bumps?:dunno: but they blamed me on the install.. im just very shocked at the response/cost increase without warning from them im a little weiry to go back and buy/have installed product from them now any thoughts on this guys?

Sky
06-14-2006, 06:12 PM
wow.....my buddy(RSX) has the same clunking experience..but he got used coilovers. It is taking them FOREVER to even look at my buddies car. Now I think it might be the install and not the coilover itself:eek:

M_K_3
06-14-2006, 06:15 PM
wow sorry to hear man speedtech is really good i hear.... as for speedtech guys this isnt good thats kinda un safe? but im sure they would help u out... lots of ppl told me they are reallly good guys

Orbie
06-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I actually had my Tein Coilovers installed by them on my last car a couple of years back and they were great. Service was good and they stayed true to the price we settled on. The installation was pretty solid I can't remember any experiences like yours and I drove on them for about 2 years. I did have a minor problem with something jingling like coins from my rear left suspension. You would obviously only hear it when going over very bumpy roads so it could have been a loose bolt.:dunno: was very minor though.

I'm very surprised to hear about what they said to you after you told them though. When I had mine installed they seemed adamant that they would guarantee the installation if they did it. You'd think if it's just tightening a couple of bolts it wouldn't be a big deal...it's not like you're asking for a full refund.

SC2
06-14-2006, 06:42 PM
How can you have an issue with removing a nut with air-tools? lmao

brettg
06-14-2006, 06:44 PM
i had a similar problem with install. i bought a full cat back exaust from them. when i asked the guy how much for install via pm on beyond i got one price and when i went in they told me a totally different one after it was all done. I asked why there was a difference and they didnt no. I was totaly shocked and pissed off.
they said i was told an incorrect price initially, how could that be???

LUCKYSTRIKE
06-14-2006, 06:48 PM
lol, they quoted me 600 bucks to install my brakes.

Darkane
06-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by SC2
How can you have an issue with removing a nut with air-tools? lmao

You haven't worked on alot of cars have you? Plenty of things can go wrong. Even with mighty "airtools"

go remove the LCA bolts on your car tell me what happens.

SC2
06-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

You haven't worked on alot of cars have you? Plenty of things can go wrong. Even with mighty "airtools"

Dont tell me what I do and do not do.

But yes, I do not work on cars as much.

Cut off the nut, replace the threaded section, done. Those parts I gaurantee are cheaper than 3 hours of labour.

canadian_hustla
06-14-2006, 07:13 PM
not to hate but I didn't have a very good experience either, I ordered a rear valence for my car mid april, and it JUST arrived last week

they said it would be two weeks from April 15 (when i ordered it), so basically it missed the truck/order twice (I called 4 times in total) and came a month and a half late. It came bent up and scratched..

the customer service is also mediocre, you guys should really try to build a customer relationship with your clients - there is a good chance they will come back that way. When I was in there a few times, you guys were either too busy or didn't care to be all that helpful..

initiative for establishing customer service/client relationship = nil

I won't be coming back

canadian_hustla
06-14-2006, 07:24 PM
oh on another note, offering a REFUND after the part missed the first delivery order is not a good resolution. I would think a small discount, or express shipped order would have been a much better solution that you guys could have offered..

Darkane
06-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by SC2

Cut off the nut, replace the threaded section, done. Those parts I gaurantee are cheaper than 3 hours of labour.

I wish it was that easy. But anyway no worries..:whocares:

frostyda9
06-14-2006, 07:49 PM
My coilover install came out to over $700 :rofl:
In all fairness though, they did a bushing kit as well and had to torch a lot of the old ones out.

arian_ma
06-14-2006, 07:54 PM
I have had good experiences at SpeedTech.
Will has always gone out of his way to help me out.
I find that once you get one person to help you out, sticking with them will be the best solution because they will know you and try and keep the customer relation.
I also ordered a part coming from the States and it was there in 1 week.
Will is a great guy!

Lo)2enz0
06-14-2006, 08:05 PM
i have nothing against speedtech and think its a good company, but i personally install all my own stuff unless i get to pissed off about it. Now it does take a while to get seized bolts off. and i can do a set of coilovers myself in about an hour an a half with no air tools.

my guess is the mounting points on your strut tower were lose cause i always tighten those once the car is down and the wheels are on. he may have forgotten, i don't know.

Seanith
06-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

:werd: . I have had my fair share of problems even with air tools. And just shearing off a nut is easier said than done...

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
i have nothing against speedtech and think its a good company, but i personally install all my own stuff unless i get to pissed off about it.

Installing your own shit is the way to go. Suspension isn't hard.

h22aseller
06-14-2006, 10:33 PM
i gotta say, i have dealt with them a few times now and they seem to be a fairly solid company to deal with. sometimes they can be a little slower than they promise, but I just kinda accept that every aftermarket shop i have dealt with has been a little slower than they said they would be.

However, as a suggestion, I wouldn't charge by the hour if my shop was as messy as theirs is, I don't really wanna be paying for their time to search out a fucking tool lol.

that being said, i got nothing but good experiences with them, and they seem always to be the first and only shop that is able to get the part i want. (i drive an accord, and most of the shops in calgary have yet to realize that people with accords want to mod too)

WWJAI
06-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Speedtech guys seem like great guys..just a couple of them seem like they don't belong there as they seem they don't have a clue about parts sometimes. I asked one of the guys there if they had NGK spark plug wires and he didn't even seem to have heard of NGK before, instead he offers me a Spoon one which is the only one he can think of at the moment. Same guy also quotes me 180 dollars for a type r abs plastic lip which normally costs 130 and even with his knowledge of working there, I would assume he would know his quote was overpriced.:thumbsdow to that guy.

Gravy_83
06-14-2006, 10:45 PM
i went there today and got a really good quote on an exhaust that i had been quoted more by phone. which was weird but allright. I will be going there for more parts for my civic in the near future for sure they really went out of their way to get me my price quick and answered alot of questions for me. :thumbsup:

danlowteg
06-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by SC2

Having done 1st year automotive and working as a tech right now. I like to see you cut a nut on a flat surface without scoring the surface eg: shock. And take a look at all the bolts on lower suspension components they are not normal bolts usually around grade 10 and weird sizes. Had to order some almost took a whole day to get them. Also a big no no is using a cutting torch around suspension components not to mention it can also be illegal. A hack saw yes but you would be better trying to break the head of the bolt off. Thats my 2 cents

As for the Speedtech issue did they write down that quote? Personally I always try to get them to write down the quote before they do work. That’s when I couldn’t do it myself

glennc
06-14-2006, 11:00 PM
I dont see suspension being THAT rusted on that you need air tools to get it off.

250,000 KM civic, I replaced my axle and tore out all of the suspension with a 1/4 inch drive 5 inch long rachet. LOL.

danlowteg
06-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by glennc
I dont see suspension being THAT rusted on that you need air tools to get it off.

250,000 KM civic, I replaced my axle and tore out all of the suspension with a 1/4 inch drive 5 inch long rachet. LOL.

lucky but was all that untouched for 250,000km?

88CRX
06-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I dont think some of you realize that Speedtech cant stock everything... vendors fuck them over with BS dates all the time and there is nothing they can do about it.

All shops have that same problem its not just speedtech.

Nix87
06-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
I dont think some of you realize that Speedtech cant stock everything... vendors fuck them over with BS dates all the time and there is nothing they can do about it.

All shops have that same problem its not just speedtech.

Word,
vendors always shaft the stores... from my expierence speedtech is always honest on the location of your purchase and everyone ive met their has gone outa there way to answer any questions :thumbsup:

Lo)2enz0
06-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Nix87

Word,
vendors always shaft the stores... from my expierence speedtech is always honest on the location of your purchase and everyone ive met their has gone outa there way to answer any questions :thumbsup:

so true, speedtech has been awsome for parts. probably the best shop for saying it will be there in 2 weeks and it actually will be. rpm racing told me my old sparco seat was going to be in and i waited for it cause they told me to, after waiting it still didn't come. but i won't list off shops and there good and bads.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for speedtech the only shop i go to besides jdmsource. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for jdm for sure

jcrules99
06-15-2006, 12:20 AM
speedtech is awesome!!! on time for the parts that i ordered, good prices imo, install was awesome and wicked price, and will is an awesome guy for advice:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
06-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Its the vendors, not speedtech who cause the delay. I wish we had a larger market so more could be stocked locally but thats just too expensive. As for the vendors/importers in North America, some of them are great and some of them like Mackin industries should be burned to the ground. Props to STRD for helping me find impossible shit.

jdmakkord
06-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by glennc

Wait till you run into the dreaded rear lower shock mount bolt...Amazing honda design that rusts the bolt into the collar of the bushing...Not to mention the nut for it is welded to the strut in most cases. Sawzall worked for me:D

thesmackdown
06-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Why the hell would anybody buy parts from the shops in calgary in all honesty. You'd have to be on crack to pay their prices as they are so over inflated it is not even funny. I have usually found that I can buy the same parts for 40-50% less from companies in the states and that is when you include the shipping. I'm simply surprised nobody has questioned that before especially now that the canadian dollar is almost equal to the american...

I recall back in the day one company I know of buying parts from mopac on a business account for 5% above cost and then selling them in their own store 25% above the shelf price at mopac. These companies seriously are all about the money.

heavyD
06-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by thesmackdown
Why the hell would anybody buy parts from the shops in calgary in all honesty. You'd have to be on crack to pay their prices as they are so over inflated it is not even funny. I have usually found that I can buy the same parts for 40-50% less from companies in the states and that is when you include the shipping. I'm simply surprised nobody has questioned that before especially now that the canadian dollar is almost equal to the american...

I recall back in the day one company I know of buying parts from mopac on a business account for 5% above cost and then selling them in their own store 25% above the shelf price at mopac. These companies seriously are all about the money.

Isn't every company in business to make money? Will @ STRD gave me a smoking deal on my Injen turbo-back exhaust, in fact it was almost the same price CDN as US vendors were charging in $US. It is true that some stuff is cheaper from the US but some of the bigger stuff when you account for shipping and brokerage raping comes out a wash. It's a tough business to be in as most of the clientele are teens to early 20's. Most of them have no money yet want the best product for cheap product pricing and if the product takes some time to come in are phoning every day being pain in the asses. It's pretty thankless as even if you please 95% of your customers you have to put up with threads like this.

shadowz
06-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by kope
Hey all this isnt a flame or anything just kind of a little dissapointment on my behalf id like to know if anyone has experience similar issues with Speedtech because i have heard some peoples comments.(kinda longer..)

I bought some Tein SS coilovers from speedtech recently i got a good price on them i feel to! :thumbsup: however the problem came when the install happend. I dont know much about cars so i thought i better let some pros handle it so i did. The install was pre agreed to work out to 180 bux..

okay i thought fine, i got the car back the install went up to 280 bux without even telling me! I asked why they said that some nuts didnt have lube on them so it took an extra 2 hours of labour to get them off.. my car has only been serviced at acura (04 rsx) so i thought okay acura messed up no problem..

about a week later my front coilovers are making a weird clunking noise when i hit bumps i didnt think this was normal so i called a buddy he came to look at the coils and lone behold none of the bolts were tight!! i could have tightened them harder with my hand!! but i called speedtech and they said that must have happend because itook to many bumps?:dunno: but they blamed me on the install.. im just very shocked at the response/cost increase without warning from them im a little weiry to go back and buy/have installed product from them now any thoughts on this guys?

Hi there I would like to clarify the reasoning for your price increase was due to seized bolts which in turn took our mechanic longer than expected with a typical suspension install, if you have any questions or concerns please give me a pm or a call at the shop.

Nick

Mr_ET
06-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by shadowz

Hi there I would like to clarify the reasoning for your price increase was due to seized bolts which in turn took our mechanic longer than expected with a typical suspension install, if you have any questions or concerns please give me a pm or a call at the shop.

Nick

i understood that from his comment very well but as a business you should have contacted him to inform him of this and to get his go ahead before continuing as it is not right to say it will cost a certain amount and charge more once the customer picks his car up.

88CRX
06-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

i understood that from his comment very well but as a business you should have contacted him to inform him of this and to get his go ahead before continuing as it is not right to say it will cost a certain amount and charge more once the customer picks his car up.

The customer would have no choice. If the bolt snaps then they have to drill it out etc etc etc. They cant just stop the install and give it back.

Usually they let you know that before the install that if bolts snap it's gonna cost more.

khojaman
06-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Speed tech could you clarify.

kaput
06-15-2006, 12:35 PM

Clever
06-15-2006, 01:02 PM
I currently have some struts and springs waiting for me at Speedtech it's been there for about 2 months!:rofl:. Will has been more than accomodating of my busy schedule, but before i decided to go with STRD I shopped around with the other beyond sponsors and did some research on my own. Speedtech was the only shop that took my inquiries seriously, gave me a good deal on parts and install, and was willing to go out of their way to hook me up with someone that can do my alignment for me. Needless to say my experience has been great so far.:thumbsup:

glennc
06-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Wait till you run into the dreaded rear lower shock mount bolt...Amazing honda design that rusts the bolt into the collar of the bushing...Not to mention the nut for it is welded to the strut in most cases. Sawzall worked for me:D

I had to take it out to get the axle out and in. It took a little force but it came right off, popped out smooth. Original suspension peices minus coil overs installed 100K ago and new tie rod ends.

Maybe I just got lucky, considering my axle came out in 7 peices:)

kope
06-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Well in my case i got lucky they actually had the Coilovers stocked on there shelves for my rsx, my reason for not bitching or calling to complain is simply i dont like to do it. I have no problem paying more for an install then told if it took longer it just kind of shocked me, as well if the install would have seemed to be done correctly with all the parts put back woulda been good. Im sure if i speak to Nick there wont be a problem resolving this and i will continue to use Speedtech for my rice needs hehe :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-16-2006, 01:56 AM
I've had good experiences....
Ordered a set of hood pins... Said they'd come in on friday, possibly monday, said they'd call when they got in... Went in on monday cuz i got bored... Arrived 5 mins after my pins got there too... Walked out 5 mins later with my pins as a happy customer... Few years ago got one of those huge mirrors... They gave me a discount cuz it was the last one :thumbsup:

Also gave me some good advice on bumpers and such, even talked me out of a sale! True car enthusiasts!

:thumbsup: for speedtech.

topher91
06-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

The customer would have no choice. If the bolt snaps then they have to drill it out etc etc etc. They cant just stop the install and give it back.

Usually they let you know that before the install that if bolts snap it's gonna cost more.

:werd:

Would you not have been more mad that they didn't complete in the install and now your car is stuck in the shop?

Although they could have told you, it would still needed to be done unless you were willing to have your car towed to another shop to complete the install.

Nothing but :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

for Speedtech from me.

Chris :D

thesmackdown
06-16-2006, 07:33 AM
I dont think that is the point. Did they even show you what had went wrong and why you were paying for it? If they didn't do that or even ask you before telling you of the increase then you shouldn't be paying for anything.

xin
06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Nothing but good experiences at Speedtech. They install just about everything on my car. Will and Allen are great guys, very informative and helpful.

air_mikey
06-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Speedtech is an awesome company to deal with. I've only had good experienes from them and I'm usually very satisfied. :thumbsup:

A2VR6
06-16-2006, 07:08 PM
My experience there has been so-so, they are helpful and everything and one of the only places so far that actually get back to me about price quotes, but so far they havent gotten back to me about parts that I want to order... and i've been waiting a good month on a reply back from Will about an air filter element and I waited about 3 months about a suspension setup before I gave up and went through a place in the states.

theken
06-16-2006, 07:22 PM
i sent over a pm to will at strd about some parts for my car, took a couple days to get back to me and he has been AWESOME, got some parts from jdm land and probably not that easy to fnd. much appreciated, I have delt with them a couple times before and have never had a problem.