PDA

View Full Version : brakes...whats better than stock?

Gravy_83
06-14-2006, 11:08 PM
i have a civic with currently 13 inch steelies on it because my rims got destroyed on my cross canada trek. now I am going to be going with 14's or 15's in the next little while here and am doing my breaks within a couple weeks. now I am a bit hard on my civic in the twisties and would like to know what would best replace stock breaks and would fit under the steelies for now. just rotors and pads for now. i am planning on 5 lug for my ek during winter season. but would like something with better stopping power right now. any suggestions would be great and as well where to get parts too

GTS Jeff
06-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Hawk HP+ from Mopac.

gpomp
06-14-2006, 11:12 PM
or pbr ultimates. with brembo blanks.

Gravy_83
06-15-2006, 12:26 AM
and these would be what pads and rotors?? and would these fit under 13's?

RiceCake
06-15-2006, 12:27 AM
EBC Greenstuff pads :)

gpomp
06-15-2006, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
and these would be what pads and rotors?? and would these fit under 13's?
i would assume a 96 civic

rc2002
06-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
or pbr ultimates. with brembo blanks.

:werd: I would go with the brembo slotted rotors though. I think the pbr pads also go by axxis ultimates. That's the setup I have on all my cars, and I love it. Do some stainless lines and fluid, and you'll be set. They're just stock replacement so they'll even fit your 13's.

Gravy_83
06-15-2006, 04:33 PM
now the question where do i get these lovely sounding breaks haha

gpomp
06-15-2006, 04:53 PM
most local shops should be able to get these. or you could get them from the states.

Weapon_R
06-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I'd stay away from Axxis ultimates unless you want to clean your wheels every second day from the brake dust.

rc2002
06-15-2006, 05:16 PM
It worked out well for me with bronze wheels - the dust blends right in. Haha. I didn't even clean the wheels once the whole time I had them on the car.

Gravy_83
06-15-2006, 05:33 PM
also keep in mind it's going on a civic with a mildly tuned d series mostly stock with a few mods....it's quicker than stock but it's no screamer. i just still want something to stop me short in the twisties

clem24
06-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I have Axxis Ultimates (AKA PBR) on my GC. I've only had them for about a month or so (actual kms driven maybe 500 kms max).

Anyway, I can confirm that they DUST LIKE CRAZY. The good news is that the dust comes off fairly easily. The bad news is that I have stickers on my wheels, so I can't just stick a pressure washer up to it and hose it off. Once a week, I have to go out with a brush and scrub my wheels and hose them off. Takes about 15 minutes. At least I get really clean wheels.

From user reports, I've heard they dust quite a bit in the first little bit, but should get better. However, I am really doubting that because it's the same material, no matter how much you use...

I will tell you that these are very high performance break pads. It's a trade off. However, can't figure out why they still squeal. :dunno: Anyone?

Weapon_R
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Axxis ultimates are incredible brake pads. You will feel a difference immediately guaranteed. The only problem is that they dust so much that I won't use them again. I'll have to find alternatives. Also, the dust doesn't stop as they wear down.

H4LFY2nR
06-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

:werd: I would go with the brembo slotted rotors though. I think the pbr pads also go by axxis ultimates. That's the setup I have on all my cars, and I love it. Do some stainless lines and fluid, and you'll be set. They're just stock replacement so they'll even fit your 13's.

+1 to get the Earl's stainless braided lines. I haven't installed mine yet but the box claims an 11% decrease in stopping distance on a mk4 Supra from 80mph. Mopac has them for $120. I just picked mine up and can't wait to get them on. And they will still work with the 5 lug.

Gravy_83
06-15-2006, 06:36 PM
thanks for the info guys but where are you guys getting your performance break products???

95EagleAWD
06-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Powerslots!

They're slotted Brembo blanks.

I had 'em on the Talon and they were great. Carbon/ceramic pads help a lot too!!

I'll probably go the Powerslot route on the NSX as well. (since I can't afford a BBK)

clem24
06-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Guys, stainless lines DO NOT decrease brake distance. DO NOT believe it when they claim that. Their purpose is to allow you to reach full braking force sooner than with a stock rubber line because they basically flex less.

Weapon_R
06-16-2006, 12:45 AM
If you reach full braking force quicker, wouldn't that translate to decreased braking distance?

95EagleAWD
06-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Big brakes do dick all to decrease braking distance as well.

If you want better brakes.... buy better tires!

clem24
06-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
If you reach full braking force quicker, wouldn't that translate to decreased braking distance?

Nope. Same can be achieved by hitting the pedal harder. Again, all stainless lines do is enhance pedal feel. They do nothing for braking distances. If your brakes are mushy, then SS lines are an excellent upgrade. Just don't expect miracles to happen.

racin_jayson
06-16-2006, 12:50 PM
www.fastbrakes.com

H4LFY2nR
06-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Nope. Same can be achieved by hitting the pedal harder. Again, all stainless lines do is enhance pedal feel. They do nothing for braking distances. If your brakes are mushy, then SS lines are an excellent upgrade. Just don't expect miracles to happen.

I only posted what the box claimed. I know they are more of a supplumentay upgrade, I'm just very anxious to get my 5 lug swap done (which will definetly decrease my braking distances).:)

gpomp
06-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by H4LFY2nR

I only posted what the box claimed. I know they are more of a supplumentay upgrade, I'm just very anxious to get my 5 lug swap done (which will definetly decrease my braking distances).:)
what master cylinder, brake booster, and prop valve are you using?

SilverBoost
06-17-2006, 12:27 PM
I use Goodridge Stainless Braided Brake lines, PowerSlot Slotted cadmium coated rotors and Axxis Ultimate Pads.

As was said, the Ultimate Pads dust like crazy, and they make a lot of noise as well. - squeeking... comes and goes. Worst problem with that is people keep saying, "Geeze sounds liek you need a brake job" So that gets annoying. :)

But yeah, they are dusty as fuck. Every time I go to thecar wash I spray the wheels down with simple green and it comes right off though. But your car can stay clean for a good week and the wheels can look dirty as hell if you did a lot of driving that week.

As for performance though, well over stock I have to be careful because I can lock these up super quick compared to stock set up... but they work excellent when you get used to it, the stopping power is greatly improved.

Plus with the cadmium coating on the rotors they don't get that surface rust on them and look like crap.

As for availability though, sorry to say that I bought everything south of the border and saved myself a ton of cash. Mostly though because getting stuff for a Sentra is tougher than getting stuff for a honda anyhow....

Milk2%
06-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Actually ss brake lines do increase the stoping distance, stock brake lines expand when under alot of pressure, with ss lines it keeps a more constant pressure, and a more of a quicker response in the pedal. They defiantlly help with braking distance, but if your consernd about braking quick, you best get a bbk.

H4LFY2nR
06-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

what master cylinder, brake booster, and prop valve are you using?

I'm still looking for those.

gpomp
06-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by H4LFY2nR

I'm still looking for those.
do you have abs??