PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with insurance companies these days?

TimG
06-15-2006, 08:21 AM
2 weeks ago i had a break in and sent my car to the dealer to be repaired.

I hadn't heard from either the insurance co or the dealership so i called the dealer yesterday.

From what the service rep told me, the insurance co is refusing the pay the dealer's labour rate. wtf is up with that? I'm so pissed at insurance companies right now that I'm frothing at the mouth.

Is this common in alberta???

If it isn't, I'll be dumping AMA for both home and auto insurance as soon as I get my car back.

spike98
06-15-2006, 08:27 AM
I am pretty sure you have to get 3 or so quotes and they pick the cheapest or you must get the repairs done at an approved facility

LittleAngel
06-15-2006, 08:36 AM
well your insurance company should have agreed to the quote you had gave them.

Did your go to your insurance company first or did u just take your car straight to the bodyshop? cuz from the sounds of it, you just took it to a bodyshop...

also, the insurance company will pick a labour rate, and if a bodyshop is more labour then they wont pay it.

eb0i
06-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Yeah you should have gotten a few quotes then usually the insurance company sends an appraiser to your place to appraise the damage THEN you go to get it fixed (as long as its approved).

eb0i
06-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by TimG

Well if you don't follow the proper process then this happens everywhere, not just Alberta.

TimG
06-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I did go to the AMA inspection facility first. I told the guy that i wanted to go to the dealer because the damage was more than just replacing a window. The adjuster said nothing about having to get multiple quotes.

LittleAngel
06-15-2006, 08:51 AM
it just doesnt make sence how they would give you the ok to go to the dealer to get the job fixed but not pay it

insurance companies have their refered bodyshops. when you use them they dont need a quote. If you use one of your own that is not on there prefered bodyshop list then the appraiser will come and give YOU a quote then the bodyshop has to go by that quote or stay very close to it... unless they find hidden damage, then the bodyshop and adjuster will talk....

so something along the line of your submitting your claim, to you taking your car to the bodyshop, went wrong, and a step may have been skiped

DeeK
06-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Something doesnt add up.... do you have a written approval that they are paying for it?

TimG
06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
yah, they gave me the sheet with the items that would be repaired and the cost for repairing. I don't know where they get their prices from, because I know a glove box door does NOT cost $50.

The car didn't require any body work except some paintless dent repair for the A pillar on the passenger door. the labour rate that seems to be in dispute is for replacing the passenger door window + guides and the glove box door.

It's not like this is time consuming.. 2-3 hours at most? I don't see why they're being so anal.

what's the average shop rate anyway?

Mitsu3000gt
06-15-2006, 10:54 AM
yah, they gave me the sheet with the items that would be repaired and the cost for repairing. I don't know where they get their prices from, because I know a glove box door does NOT cost $50.

The car didn't require any body work except some paintless dent repair for the A pillar on the passenger door. the labour rate that seems to be in dispute is for replacing the passenger door window + guides and the glove box door.

It's not like this is time consuming.. 2-3 hours at most? I don't see why they're being so anal.

what's the average shop rate anyway?

Audi for example is $100/hr, and I think most dealers are close to that. Most 3rd party shops are $80-$95/hr but there are some places as low as $55/hr but I would question their work.

Mark

rage2
06-15-2006, 11:33 AM
2 weeks ago i had a break in and sent my car to the dealer to be repaired.

I hadn't heard from either the insurance co or the dealership so i called the dealer yesterday.

From what the service rep told me, the insurance co is refusing the pay the dealer's labour rate. wtf is up with that? I'm so pissed at insurance companies right now that I'm frothing at the mouth.

If it isn't, I'll be dumping AMA for both home and auto insurance as soon as I get my car back.
Welcome to the fucked up world of AMA. I dumped them long ago after my 2nd not at fault accident where I got rear ended.

Basically, I got rear ended twice where I wasn't at fault (sitting at a light). Both times I go to AMA because my insurance company deals with repairs, and they get $ back from the guy that's at fault. The 2nd accident, they tried to deny the claim completely. Why? Because I have racing suspension and it's a race car (at the time all I had were Koni yellow adjustable shocks). They claim that the AMG is a race vehicle, and the Eibach springs in the car (bone stock AMG springs made by Eibach) classified it as an offroad car and I shouldn't even be driving it. What the mother fuck??? Took 2 weeks of arguing and eventually they repaired the car, and refused to renew insurance. I took everything off AMA since then.

I fucking hate AMA. Anyone that works for them can go fuck themselves.

rc2002
06-15-2006, 11:46 AM

If it's a brand new dealer item, I would believe that it costs $50. I'd recommend you to move insurance companies. Our insurance company was really good about it - they asked for a list of everything that was stolen/broken and they wrote a cheque. Only problem is, it counts as a claim. So for low value damage, I would almost decide to pay it out of my pocket. Save the claim for something that's big money.

Originally posted by rage2

I fucking hate AMA. Anyone that works for them can go fuck themselves.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: