PDA

View Full Version : 20" monitor options?

cosmok
06-15-2006, 11:58 PM
I've been looking at this Benq model, here, (http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=7671&SID=) for $344.95 before tax. Are they any other options or places to go in Calgary to check LCD's out (places like MemEx etc)? Any input is appriciated :thumbsup:

cosmok
06-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Found this one for $329.99 (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10072506&logon=&langid=EN), opinions?

FivE.SeveN
06-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Hey man, depends what you wanna use it for. Even modern LCD's arent immune to 'shadowing', unless they're nice and high-quality.

I have a 19" Samsung Syncmaster 940B and I love it. Easy on the eyes, no shadows even if I'm playing a game, and it takes up almost no desk space. ;)

Look for specs like refresh time (in ms), contrast, brightness, etc.

Refresh: faster is better, but they never tell you if the refresh is from Black to White, or gray to gray. (G2G is faster).

Contrast: You'll notice colours sometimes aren't as vibrant as on CRTs, and "black" is more like "really dark purple". CRTs still destroy LCDs for colour quality, which is why graphics people still prefer to use them even though they're obsolete.

Brightness: How bright it is.... duh. ;) Mine is 300 candelas/m2, and it's quite bright.

So knowing all this... find yourself a good one. ;)

cosmok
06-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Helpful tips, thanks. I have 2 already, just looking for a place to pick up a 20" widescreen model for my laptop.

FivE.SeveN
06-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Oh well SCREW YOU THEN I thought I was talking to a noob!

:D :D :D :D

Charon
06-16-2006, 01:39 AM
IMO: Benq is cheap. I go with Samsung, Viewsonic, or higher end Dell.
And that second one you posted. I have never heard of that brand name "Metro". I would not trust it unless you can find some reviews that put it on a pedistal.

Personally, I look for 1000:1 contrast ratio or higher. Or I wont even concider it.

hoamic11
06-16-2006, 01:53 AM
what do you guys think about using like an LCD TV as both a tv and desktop monitor?

i'm thinking about a 23-26" LCD panasonic or samsung

Ashkente
06-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Charon
..."Metro".

Sweet jesus. DO NOT buy a Metro or Fuse monitor. Trust me.
I've seen someone exchange a Metro 4(!!!!!) times. They ended up running out of monitors to exchange. Fuse is the same as Metro.

Edit: misquoted...and f'd up the post

Charon
06-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Sweet jesus. DO NOT buy a Metro or Fuse monitor. Trust me.

Quote is missing alot of information. IMO: Metro ????? perhaps you should re-read that.

I am uncertain of a tv/lcd monitor combination. When you mix functions often one of the functions or both are a little crappier then if you focus on one (most of the time).

cosmok
06-16-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote is missing alot of information. IMO: Metro ????? perhaps you should re-read that.

I am uncertain of a tv/lcd monitor combination. When you mix functions often one of the functions or both are a little crappier then if you focus on one (most of the time).
It's the one from FutureShop for $330

Ashkente
06-16-2006, 04:19 PM

Depends if it's a monitor or TV. LCD TV's you can use as monitors are really really shitty monitors (usually 1024 tops). Monitors with TV/Component/whatever connections are quite good, although you'll realize how shitty TV looks on a high res display (and you need and external tuner most of the time)

hoamic11
06-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Depends if it's a monitor or TV. LCD TV's you can use as monitors are really really shitty monitors (usually 1024 tops). Monitors with TV/Component/whatever connections are quite good, although you'll realize how shitty TV looks on a high res display (and you need and external tuner most of the time)

Well it's an HDTV LCD TV, A samsung LNS-2652D

Ashkente
06-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by hoamic11

Well it's an HDTV LCD TV, A samsung LNS-2652D

It'll still be super low res for a gigantic display as a monitor