PDA

View Full Version : Screws?!

Palmiros
06-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Removing screws, pretty basic right? Wrong.
Was doing some work on the car today (wanted to replace the deck) so I had to remove the panel, which is held in by about 5 screws. i removed 4 of them, and the last one, would NOT come out, so i tried over and over again, and yes, the cap on it got busted. Now, the pain is its in the middle of the panel, so i can't just YANK it out, as the panel would prob snap in half.
My question to you guys is, how do i remove a screw that has the cap busted, without spending $134074032817, I`m thinking WD40 wouldn't do the trick since it would prob melt the plastic, and not do anything to the screw, since it's not even been moved from its original position. Any ideas? Thanks :(

(What i didnt mention above, is that the reason it was so hard to get to was because its situated right above the wheel.. not too much manouvering space there..) :drama:

Weapon_R
06-16-2006, 12:53 AM
By cap, do you mean the head? If thats the case, get yourself a small drill bit and drill right through the screw and try to pull it out piece by piece, or you can get an 'easy out' tool that will pull the broken screw out.

Palmiros
06-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
By cap, do you mean the head? If thats the case, get yourself a small drill bit and drill right through the screw and try to pull it out piece by piece, or you can get an 'easy out' tool that will pull the broken screw out.

Yes, by cap i mean head.
Alright.. so just drill through the screw with a thin drill.
Last but not least, what would be considered an "easy out" tool, how much are they, and where can i get one?:dunno:

RotaryDrifter
06-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Palmiros

Yes, by cap i mean head.
Alright.. so just drill through the screw with a thin drill.
Last but not least, what would be considered an "easy out" tool, how much are they, and where can i get one?:dunno:

you got room for a wise grip?:dunno:

you could probably find one a princess auto:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
06-16-2006, 12:58 AM
I think they have some form of an easy out at Sears. As for the drillbit idea, yea you just drill into the screw and usually it will spin itself out if the drillbit catches onto it, otherwise keep at it and the screw will crumble into pieces as you break it up.

Palmiros
06-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Sounds good. I`ll take a whack at it first thing in the morning. I would right now, but its toooo loud :P.
THANK YOU!

The Cosworth
06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah either get some really strong plyers with some good leverage, or drill it out (MAKE SURE ITS SMALLER THAN THE INNER THREADS) and go and get a tap (its like a screw but what it does is reset the threads and cleans it out. but you will have to take one of the other dash screws in with you