PDA

View Full Version : what is the best/cheapest hi-speed internet

nonlinear
06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
i am finally going to break down and get internet at home.

what is the best/cheapest option available in calgary?

i have shaw cable but no phone land-line

cheers:thumbsup:

Xaroxantu Zero
06-16-2006, 02:25 PM
3Web (http://www.3web.com/). It uses Shaw lines.

beecue
06-16-2006, 03:09 PM
yea 3web .. same as shaw .. $10 cheaper .. there support sucks but i like never have problems ... except yesterday but everyone else did also lol

nonlinear
06-16-2006, 03:13 PM
hrm, there isn't much info on their website.

which is better, DSL or cable? is there a price difference?

How much do they charge you for modems?

how long does it take them to come and install?

beecue
06-17-2006, 01:52 AM
cable and dsl are same price i think .. and cable = shaw and dsl i guess is telus or primus ... u can buy the modem as i did .. or rent it for $5 .. and i think you have to book a installation 5 days ahead

Weapon_R
06-17-2006, 02:05 AM
cable is far superior to dsl in terms of speed...about 4 - 7 times faster, depending on how good your connection is. Go with 3web, they are essentially shaw.

szw
06-17-2006, 03:28 AM
Get a wireless card and first see if you can steal from your neighbors.

If you are a student, Shaw has a cheap student deal. You have to pay in advance, but its only like 20 bucks a month for cable internet.

beecue
06-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by szw
Get a wireless card and first see if you can steal from your neighbors.

rofl i got wireless router ... and for some reason people have been trying to connect to my router for months now :dunno: .. idiots

R!zz0
06-17-2006, 09:54 PM
I saw a commercial today that telus has it for $15 bucks for highspeed. I don't know what the catch is tho.

beecue
06-17-2006, 10:26 PM
^^ 3 years contract prolly

R!zz0
06-17-2006, 10:51 PM
I would never go back to telus. I had nothing but problems with them and to top it off...Their customer service sucked and they were very unprofessional. I have no problems with shaw and their customer service is friendly and very professional.

dino_martini
06-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Dude, why dont you just bundle your stuff with shaw? you can get high-speed internet and Cable for like $60.

bball2
06-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Telus is terrible, can't wait for my contract to end next Februrary so I can switch back to shaw. What Weapon_R said is absolutely true...

3web is prolly the cheapest hi-speed internet if the service isn't a problem, if you really want the best and are willing to put in the extra dough shaw high speed extreme :bigpimp:

GoChris
06-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by bball2

3web is prolly the cheapest hi-speed internet if the service isn't a problem, if you really want the best and are willing to put in the extra dough shaw high speed extreme :bigpimp:

you can get shaw extreme via 3web

googe
06-18-2006, 04:25 PM
3web and shaw are indeed the exact same service, i was a 3web customer for quite a while but trying to get a hold of 3web can be extremely frustrating, and if you do have a problem theyre so clueless, so i decided the $10 a month for having no hassle with shaw was worth it and switched back. ymmv.

dennisaur
06-18-2006, 04:46 PM
i switched from shaw to telus because shaw kept complaining that i was using too much bandwidth. didnt think i was using that much considering i was only downloading mp3s at the time.
ever since then i've been with telus and i only pay about 25 bucks a month. it's not as fast as shaw, but i find their service to be a lot more consistent as i never have to worry about shaw's nazi bandwidth watchers cutting off my internet connection from time to time.

b_t
06-18-2006, 04:52 PM
my telus connection usually gets the job done, but lately its been a giant piece of shit. the faster the website is the less likely it is to work, it won't connect to World of Warcraft today at all. their support blows they always blame the lines between calgary and cochrane.

we've got HD Shaw cable, we will probably be moving to shaw internet soon as well, this telus shit is nonsense. their e-mail server goes down on a very regular basis too.

BrknFngrs
06-18-2006, 05:03 PM
ya whats with telus lately? everything was good now im getting lock ups and lost connections aloooot

LUCKYSTRIKE
06-18-2006, 06:38 PM
my telus adsl is going mega slow right now and i cant connect to wow =(

anyone else having probs with telus right now?

bball2
06-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Well my dling seems alright with telus, on a well seeded torrent I can usually get dl speeds of 80-120kBp/s.

But surfing the net blows, google, and especially google images take ages to load (like 2-3 mins!!!!). It's stupid.

@GoChris
You can really get shaw extreme with telus? How much does it cost?

Hakkola
06-18-2006, 11:01 PM

@GoChris

You can get telus "extreme" it's still slower than shaw's regular hi speed internet. :rofl:

Lo)2enz0
06-18-2006, 11:02 PM
there is a reason why telus if getting pissed off with shaw, they can't offer services like shaw

googe
06-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Well my dling seems alright with telus, on a well seeded torrent I can usually get dl speeds of 80-120kBp/s.

But surfing the net blows, google, and especially google images take ages to load (like 2-3 mins!!!!). It's stupid.

@GoChris

he said extreme with 3web, not telus.

beecue
06-19-2006, 12:39 AM
$42.75 ... 3web .. shaw extreme .. and you dont need to worry about customer service ... i hardly ever have problems and if there is one .. shaw will fix it .. no need to call

:rofl: i can get 1.2 megs sometimes .. usually 800-900 though .. telus must suck

nonlinear
06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
should I buy or rent a modem?

they charge $100 to buy, or $5/mo to rent, which means that if I keep it for more than 20 months it's cheaper to buy...

I guess i'm not sure how long this will last, is it something i can use for a few years?

and, should I get the Motorola 5101 or the Motorola 5100?

EDIT: Or, should I buy a modem somewhere else? any suggestions?

Hakkola
06-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Come see me at the Shaw Surftime Kiosk beside FCUK in chinook center for a shaw modem kit.

Pay $60, get first month internet free, $60 credit back onto your account, free install, first 6 months of hi speed internet at $29.95, it will then go up to $38.95 if you don't have cable television with shaw. This offer is only available if you haven't used shaw internet within the past 3 months.

It's $10 a month extra for shaw extreme, so if you have shaw cable T.V it sounds like it's even cheaper then 3web. :D

Edit - Who wants to charge you $100 for a modem????

lint
06-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Come see me at the Shaw Surftime Kiosk beside FCUK in chinook center for a shaw modem kit.

Pay $60, get first month internet free, $60 credit back onto your account, free install, first 6 months of hi speed internet at $29.95, it will then go up to $38.95 if you don't have cable television with shaw. This offer is only available if you haven't used shaw internet within the past 3 months.

It's $10 a month extra for shaw extreme, so if you have shaw cable T.V it sounds like it's even cheaper then 3web. :D

Is there a contract term with that deal?

Hakkola
06-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by lint

Is there a contract term with that deal?

NO, shaw doesn't do contracts. :D You could cancel after 3 months if you wanted to.

lint
06-20-2006, 04:41 PM

NO, shaw doesn't do contracts. :D You could cancel after 3 months if you wanted to.

you will be getting a pm from me if I decide to cancel out of my telus adsl contract

Hakkola
06-20-2006, 04:47 PM
You can just come down, I'm only in the country until July 4th, the deal has been offered through us for the year I've been here so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

nonlinear
06-20-2006, 05:13 PM

That's what 3web charges for the modems...

nonlinear
06-20-2006, 05:16 PM

Hakkola
06-20-2006, 05:16 PM
That's rediculous I thought they would charge the same $60 that shaw does, it's possible though that the cost for the modems is higher than $60 and that's why they have to charge more. :dunno:

That's funny, people always seem to think they're getting a good deal with 3web.

Hakkola
06-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
Hakkola,

that shaw deal sounds great.

I do have shaw cable at my house, but it's paid by the people who live upstairs (it's in their lease they have to pay for it) and I would want the internet under my own name and seperate bill.

Would it be possible for me to get the $29.95 rate after 6 months (because I have the shaw service) even if I don't actually pay the bill?

I'm not entirely sure to tell you the truth, I've been told that if you're getting cable t.v through your condo or employer and need internet under your own name Shaw will give you the bundle price for internet, I was told this by one of my customers who had looked into it.

In your particular situation I'm not sure if that would apply or not, but if I have time tonight, I'll call Shaw and I'll ask them.

nonlinear
06-20-2006, 05:20 PM
hrm, cause that will totally determine whether I go with 3web or with shaw....

do you know who I could call to get an official answer?

and thanks for all the help man! If I can get it to work out with the bundle thing, i'll definately be coming down to chinook to see you :thumbsup:

Hakkola
06-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Just called shaw and you can in fact get the bundle price even if your internet is under your own name. :thumbsup:

Edit - Just so you know average wait time for installation is about 4 days, it could very well be less though.

nonlinear
06-20-2006, 05:28 PM
heheh, i'm on the phone with shaw now also, and the guy is telling me that since I live in a basement suite they need to seperate out the cable service to the top and bottom...

fuck LOL

now i have a cable situation to deal with

nonlinear
06-20-2006, 05:31 PM
before all of that he asked my address, etc. I hope that they don't send someone out to the house and shut off the cable service

Hakkola
06-20-2006, 05:42 PM
That's weird man... I said to the customer service rep that I was living in the basement of a house that has cable t.v and I want to get internet service under my own name, and if I could get the shaw internet bundle pricing under these circumstances, he asid yes.

You are living in a house with cable paid for, they're paying for a number of outlets, it won't matter what rooms are getting it and who's paying for it, they shouldn't be seperating the cable lines, that's strange.

nonlinear
06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
meh, i'm not too worried.

if they put in 2 drops i'll make my landlord pay it, since it's in my lease :D

BoS_DC2
06-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm quite satisfied with my telus, are you serious that it takes 2-3 mins to load when in google? It takes me .20 sec every page >_> and yeah i get about 80-120kbp/sec for torrents also. Not bad but atleast it's consistent and telus has a mellow customer service. Doesn't shaw internet sometimes cut you off or go nazi slow when lots of customers are on? I dunno, it seems like shaw is FAST then goes slow then fast again. not consistent

Hakkola
06-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Haha, Telus might have "mellow" service, but with shaw if you ever need a service call it's free, Telus charges for every 15 minutes.

Shaw's average speed is much higher than Telus, I've only witnesses lack of service in my area once this year.

bball2
06-20-2006, 10:25 PM
@Hakkola/googe

Ooops, i did mean 3web in my post. Anyways that sounds like a pretty good deal but I think I might just get back with shaw when my contract is out bundled with tv, and etc.

boopydogg
06-21-2006, 12:37 AM
That's rediculous I thought they would charge the same $60 that shaw does, it's possible though that the cost for the modems is higher than $60 and that's why they have to charge more. :dunno:

yes the modems do cost more then 60 for shaw but shaw charges less then there cost because someone that owns a modem is more likley to stay with them
also if there isa problem with the modem after the warranty is up on it they will replace for free(unless you are upgrading your modem) just to keep you happy and with them.
also there docsis modems in thery could have a download speed of 40 megs per second (shaws network cant handle it yet ) but once they get there network to handle it that will be sweet.

billy36
07-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Hakkola

Any hot cable deals like what u mentioned for the internet, that would be sweet.