PDA

View Full Version : MB C230 2005 Transmission quirks

rhody
06-16-2006, 04:13 PM
:eek:

We have a 2005 MB C230 Sport Coupe, with a seven speed auto transmission with about 15K miles purchased just over a year ago. The car is great, except that every time the select shift is used and the car is upshifted and downshift manually and aggressively, then placed back in normal auto mode, when coming to a stop, it will clunk when downshifting usually when coming to a slow stop.

The MB dealer iinspected it a month ago, and found the sealed transmission unit low about 1.5 quarts from the factory, which should not have happened, since it was sealed when purchased new. They topped off the tranmission fluid, and we drove the car for another month or so.

Lately, every once in a while while slowing down, having kept the trans in auto mode, it will clunk like it did before the new fluid was added. The dealer just changed the proportioning valve in the transmission, hoping it will help.

Here is my question. Has anyone else out there experienced a similar problem with their 2005 C230 with the 7 speed auto transmission ???

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Rhody

infected
06-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I found that MB has a campaign to fix the jerky 7-speed transmission.
It's campaign 2005100013 and you can find the documents here (http://alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1020236400000_1148454000000_2005100013A/index.html) .

My VIN number being in the range, my car being an early 2006 model and the problem being well known by MB across all models with 7g transmission, I thought it would be a piece of cake.

Guess what. The dealer won't do a campaign, just because there is a campaign (as opposed to a recall). And they said they could not find a problem with my transmission. After arguing for ever with managers, I finally got the transmission software updated. And I can tell the difference, and I am glad I did it. Much smoother shifts. But I am very bitter with dealership service now.

Now my question is, why did they initially refuse to fix a known problem?
Why did they give me such an hard time?
What happened to MB friendly customer service?

Alpine Autowerks
06-16-2006, 11:45 PM
their reluctance makes no sense except power triping or ignorance of the update, no parts required just a software download and they get 50 min to do it ...when the electronic 5 speed had shift problems we had to change the valve body, transmission control unit and 7l of synthetic ATF...that would make more sense to fight over than a software update

infected
06-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
their reluctance makes no sense except power triping or ignorance of the update, no parts required just a software download and they get 50 min to do it ...when the electronic 5 speed had shift problems we had to change the valve body, transmission control unit and 7l of synthetic ATF...that would make more sense to fight over than a software update

Never had any problems with mine, everything works like a charm. Then again, I think my car is too slow for me to feel any "jerkin".
:cry: