PDA

View Full Version : I changed my brakes today

FivE.SeveN
06-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Haha, well it probably doesn't SOUND like really advanced repairs to some people (who can swap an engine in 2 hours), but this was my 1st actual attempt at 'fixing' my car instead of wimping out and getting it repaired.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to get any kind of mechanical stuff done on a weekend in Calgary, places are booked till tuesday! So after calling around asking "can you do a brake job *today*" and getting LOL's, I said screwit and grabbed some pads from autovalue. And yknow... it wasn't so hard afterall. ;) So for 55 bucks in pads, and another 30 for tools (I had only a phillips screwdriver before, now a socket set + wrenches), I have squeak-less brakes in about... 1.5 hours. ;) Cheap, and fun at the same time.

On a related note, where can I get a good torque wrench? ;) I retightened my tire bolts to about what they felt like coming off, that's not very accurate.

Vietsta
06-17-2006, 07:33 PM
good job:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
i think you should be able to get a torque wrench at auto value?

Palmiros
06-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Hah! well, if you`d be willing to show/guide me through the process, i`d be forever thankful LOL. I`m about to go and get them done on monday, after i booked my appointment on Thursday of this week.

FivE.SeveN
06-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Well I caught this link on 300zxClub -- it's full of good walk-thrus with pictures.

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/90HowTo.htm

Hard to say how it would apply to other cars, but I'm sure the idea is the same. ;)

hoamic11
06-18-2006, 09:48 AM
well good for you, it's always a good experience and feeling after you've done and just learned something new

i'm in also need for a new torque wrench, but i think i've set my eyes on the mastercraft maximum series one

frostyda9
06-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Congrats. The more of your own wrenching you do, the more you will appreciate your ride :thumbsup:

verbatim
06-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Princess Auto, cheap and decent torque wrenches. Have used mine for over 4 years.