PDA

View Full Version : quick help before buying

lerner04
06-17-2006, 10:24 PM
tomaro or i should say today scence its past 12:00 im buying a 1992 honda civic coupe, manual, for 2 grand is there any reson why i shouldent buy this car and could i get some quick tips on how to check it and inspect it before i buy it? thx~dan

Palmiros
06-17-2006, 10:34 PM
1. Write words as they were meant to be written. If you can't go back to school.
2. Check carfax, IF you have the VIN #.
3. How many miles does the car have, and what condition is it in?

ga16i
06-17-2006, 10:40 PM
yup, what he said.
Be sure to check the V-Tec gaskets on that Honda, those blow like crazy when the V-Tec kicks in. Since it's 14 years old the spark plug bleeder screws may be rusted and need replacing too.

cman
06-17-2006, 10:48 PM
For starters you could get a pre-purchase inspection, that way you will know what will need repairing in the future.
They are fairly affordable (less than $100) and only take an hour or so.
Make sure you have all your papers ready for when you purchase it.
Do you kow how to drive standard well? If not take somebody with you who does.
You will also need to insure and register the vehicle, if you havnt already.
goodluck

lerner04
06-17-2006, 11:50 PM
im takin my brother with me he had a 94 and he has a 2002 now he will be test driving it

"Make sure you have all your papers ready for when you purchase it."

what papers will i need?

Stephen81
06-18-2006, 12:28 AM
bill of sale is all i can think of. but yes, you will need to have registration and insurance as well.

why is your brother test-driving it for you?, notwithstanding the fact that having owned a '94 and '02 makes him an expert in the field of all things Honda Civic.

i guess $2000 is fairly cheap for a car but i'd take the advice from a few posts up and still have the car looked at if you or your brother don't know exactly what to look for...a qualified shop WILL be able to help you make a decision. a simple test drive isn't going to give you the best indication of what condition the car is in.

good luck though:thumbsup: