PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust tip law

persid
04-08-2003, 09:32 AM
I recently bought a Cork Sport catback for my RX7...a 3" piping/4" tip kind of deal, just like the Apex'i N1.
http://members.shaw.ca/gnesic/ex002.jpg
I wish I went for something with a more subtle tip, but this one cost less than $330US shipped so I just couldn't say no :) The thing is, I know there's a law that says that the tip cannot be larger than stock, but is this talking about the inside or the outside diameter? I'd like to know this as I'm about to go for one of these silencers:
http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Merchant/ax_silencer.gif
which would make the inner diameter either 2.5" or 3", don't remember which exactly. With the silencer, the inside diameter will be pretty much stock so I guess I would have some legal base to argue against exhaust tickets which I'm sure to get :)

So, outside or inside diameter?

Ferio_vti
04-08-2003, 09:44 AM
Cops would be looking at the inside diameter.
Get the silencer. Louder is certainly not better.

Ferio_vti
04-08-2003, 09:51 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3664&highlight=Exhaust+tip+law+size

rage2
04-08-2003, 10:57 AM
The official words from the HTA :

Mufflers
46(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise and without the emission of any flame or sparks.

46(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.

46(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed a baffle-plate or other part.

46(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

46(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

46(6) This section does not apply to a school bus having a capacity of 24 or more passengers.

46(4) would probably get you in trouble, and what you would get a ticket for. But if I was a lawyer (with a lot of free time and not wanting to pay a $40 ticket), I'd argue that I didn't open up the muffler exhaust outlet. I've replaced the muffler with an aftermarket piece which is not forbidden in the HTA. The muffler exhaust outlet is that big when you bought the muffler :D. All depends on how it's interpreted I guess.

ACS-e36
04-08-2003, 11:18 AM
thats fukking huge

fast95pony
04-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Whoa.. I think I see a family of Gophers living in there !!

sexualbanana
04-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ACS-e36
thats fukking huge :werd:

persid
04-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Oh great, now even the Civic owners are saying my exhaust is too big :)

I just got a few pics of the exhaust with the silencer installed, and it looks like:
http://members.shaw.ca/gnesic/0018.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/gnesic/0020.jpg
So I guess I shouldn't have any problems as the outlet is really small with the thing on there. And it's a really good investment for $20US.

Thanks all.

Hollywood
04-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
46(4) would probably get you in trouble, and what you would get a ticket for. But if I was a lawyer (with a lot of free time and not wanting to pay a $40 ticket), I'd argue that I didn't open up the muffler exhaust outlet. I've replaced the muffler with an aftermarket piece which is not forbidden in the HTA. The muffler exhaust outlet is that big when you bought the muffler :D. All depends on how it's interpreted I guess.

There is another law that is not in your list Rage. It says your tip/s cannot be bigger that what was on your car stock.

And persid, your muffler is going to burn and melt your bumper on the right side...FYI.

rage2
04-08-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
There is another law that is not in your list Rage. It says your tip/s cannot be bigger that what was on your car stock.

Really? Where is this at? I quoted off the latest highway traffic act unless they made a new one.

Hollywood
04-09-2003, 08:00 AM

Really? Where is this at? I quoted off the latest highway traffic act unless they made a new one.

I think it's a bylaw, he cop showed it to me in his little book. He threatened to tow my car because of the tips. He said I have 1 week to remove the exhaust or if he see's me again he would tow my car, and he said I was flagged and that any other cop that runs my plate will harrass me about the tips. Nice eh?

But I'm not sure if they have the power to tow my car because of the tips.

MerfBall
04-09-2003, 08:35 AM

I think it's a bylaw, he cop showed it to me in his little book. He threatened to tow my car because of the tips. He said I have 1 week to remove the exhaust or if he see's me again he would tow my car, and he said I was flagged and that any other cop that runs my plate will harrass me about the tips. Nice eh?

But I'm not sure if they have the power to tow my car because of the tips.

I'd like to see this bylaw as well. I've been pulled over by a cop before for my Greddy EVO. Basically told the cop that T&T Honda installed it and he said it was fine, but that I would probably get pulled over again if another cop sees it. I asked him if I should remove it to avoid the hassle and he said not to bother since it's not that loud, they are moreso going after people that have loud exhausts or lack of mufflers, etc.

I would call the city or police info, here's the link to Calgary bylaws, it's only the most frequently visited bylaws and looking through a few I see no reference to exhausts.

http://www.calgary.ca/cweb/gateway/gateway.asp?GID=415&CID=200&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Ecalgary%2Eca%2FCCA%2FCity%2BHall%2FMunicipal%2BGovernment%2FBylaws%2FBylaws%2B%2Ehtm

persid
04-09-2003, 09:20 AM

[b]
Isn't 46(4) saying the same thing?

46(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

[b]And persid, your muffler is going to burn and melt your bumper on the right side...FYI.
Right side of the car? It's a single, only one side :) From what people who have the same catback have told me, nobody had a problem with the melted bumpers. It exits far enough so that the flames don't get to the bumper and the actual tip shlouldn't ever get hot enough to melt it. So, why do you think it'll melt?

rage2
04-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by persid

That's probably what the cop was referring to in Hollywood's case. It all comes down to interpretation... it doesn't say anything about a STOCK muffler, just that you can't widen a muffler's exhaust outlet. So by replacing your muffler, and not widening the replacement muffler's outlet, you have an argument in court.

But is it worth it for $40 and no demerits? :D

Hollywood
04-09-2003, 09:53 AM

No.

Right side of the car? It's a single, only one side :) From what people who have the same catback have told me, nobody had a problem with the melted bumpers. It exits far enough so that the flames don't get to the bumper and the actual tip shlouldn't ever get hot enough to melt it. So, why do you think it'll melt?

Right side of the muffler not right side of the car. I'm just saying I'll bet it will melt your bumper, because it's too close to the right side, almost touching, you hould get it positioned more in the middle. The melting will not happen over night. And your tip will be very hot. Explain to me how your getting flames out of your exhaust?

That's probably what the cop was referring to in Hollywood's case. It all comes down to interpretation... it doesn't say anything about a STOCK muffler, just that you can't widen a muffler's exhaust outlet. So by replacing your muffler, and not widening the replacement muffler's outlet, you have an argument in court.

But is it worth it for $40 and no demerits? :D

No that is not the law I'm referring to. The law in the book that he showed me specifically states "you can not have tips that are bigger that what you had on your stock muffler". This was last summer.

CRXguy
04-09-2003, 10:15 AM
No that is not the law I'm referring to. The law in the book that he showed me specifically states "you can not have tips that are bigger that what you had on your stock muffler". This was last summer.

That's true. Cop almost gave me a ticket for it.

Stupid SoSlowDx and his ricer tip nearly got me in trouble. :D

persid
04-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Right side of the muffler not right side of the car. I'm just saying I'll bet it will melt your bumper, because it's too close to the right side, almost touching, you hould get it positioned more in the middle. The melting will not happen over night. And your tip will be very hot. Explain to me how your getting flames out of your exhaust?
I agree the guy in the picture positioned it a bit too close to the bumper. Most of the ones I've seen so far have been a few cm away from the bumper at all sides.
Flames? A rotary running + no cats + a single exhaust with a straight through muffler usually results in backfires. Remember that rotaries aren't as efficient as piston engines and thus there's usually a lot more unburnt fuel ending in the exhaust.

I'll stop by a police station this afternoon and ask them about it.

THREE40SEVEN
04-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Sorry to say, but the diameter of that tip is rediculous. Before you flame me, this is my OPINION;)

I guess under those laws i'd be fined as well.... Ive NEVER been pulled over for exhaust sound/volume...

Hollywood
04-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Flames? A rotary running + no cats + a single exhaust with a straight through muffler usually results in backfires. Remember that rotaries aren't as efficient as piston engines and thus there's usually a lot more unburnt fuel ending in the exhaust.

I thought your car was a honda, because of the color, did not realize it was a RX7. So I was like an N/A honda shooting flames?? Did not make sence.

StrokeD z
04-14-2003, 10:16 PM
i dont have a cat or silencer and my car isnt that loud

CRX crazy
04-14-2003, 10:24 PM
it doesn't matter how loud it is if it's over the stock size i got pulled over for mine a couple weeks ago ... but beign an "inocent little girl" who knows nothing i didnt' get the ticket :D

SoSlowDx
04-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

That's true. Cop almost gave me a ticket for it.

Stupid SoSlowDx and his ricer tip nearly got me in trouble. :D

:confused: I don't know what you're talking about guy:rofl:

tommy1223
04-14-2003, 10:44 PM
DAMN THAT'S HUGE!!!!!

^SkylinE^
04-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Hollywood i know that When i have raced my old engine was known to spit fire on shifts ???? Its a honda ...since i got my new engine in i have had no reports of fire!!!!!
Just though id let ya know???

Rx72ndGen
04-16-2003, 05:27 PM
persid im new to this forum
i allso own a 86 Rx7 give me a holla talk about r cars

Joe Malms
04-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Rx72ndGen
persid im new to this forum
i allso own a 86 Rx7 give me a holla talk about r cars

lol
holllaaaaaaaaaa

Tuner1
04-18-2003, 09:36 PM
I know I am a little late to the party, but...

I was busted last year in a Supra TT with a Thermal R&D system with a ~4.5" tip. I tired to reason with the officer but it didn't help.

Rob