PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturers with good reputations?

Goggle
06-19-2006, 02:26 AM
Hey everyone,

I've been driving this '89 Ford Probe for about 3 years now, and I'm 20 so I'm getting to the point where I've got more financial responsibilities and the car is ready to bail on me, or so I assume anyways. I've got to get rid of it, and I'm hoping I can get at least $500. (The bluebook claims $1250 or so, would it be a good idea to list closer to that? it's in fair condition.)

So in the next two months or so I figure I'll grab something newer, from 2004 to 2007. I'm really unsure of which brands to keep an eye on though... I've heard VW is one to avoid along with KIA and Hyundai.

I think I'm only going to spend $15-20,000 because I don't need anything special. The Yaris seems alright and the test drive was surpisingly nice, but I'm not sure the value is there.

Thanks for any help!

Goggle
06-19-2006, 04:41 AM
alright, after some pricing/features research I'm curious about:

Chevy Aveo Sedan
Toyota Yaris B-Package

So yeah, the cheaper ones with as few features as possible... Any experiences? I'm guessing they're too new for any real opinions. I'm game for any well-founded suggestions though, about these or any other newer cars.

djayz
06-19-2006, 05:59 AM
i would suggest listing your car for about 750 and see what kind of offers you get for it. Listing it to low might not get the full amount out of it so list it high and accept offers.

Id go with the yaris...i myself prefer a toyota over a chevy because of good experience but its all personal preference with features and what not. I like the shape and that of an aveo sedan but when i had a seat in one it felt a little cheap and poorly built...and the weight of the whole thing didnt seem like it was a car that would hold up to the elements of northern canada.

anyways good luck with the sale and good luck with the purchase. im sure some other members here will be able to help you with the pick.

Xtrema
06-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Go with Honda Fit. A more pratical small car. Drives way better than Yaris.

Problem is that it has a way longer waiting list than Yaris, for good reasons.

Mitsu3000gt
06-19-2006, 08:29 AM
I personally wouldn't get the Aveo. If you're going with super cheap compacts, I'd probably stick to the japs as they have been making compacts and really small motors for ever and seem to know what their doing (not that Chevy doesn't). It probably feels cheaply built because in my personal opinion it is, but it is priced accordingly and that appeals to alot of people. I believe it is made in Korea (that's not necessarily why it may feel cheap, just a fact). That being said I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the Aveo, especially if you were to buy new it would still have warranty.

I'd also look at the Honda Fit if its in the price bracket, they are getting some really good reviews.

I wouldn't turn my back on companies like Hyundai. You owe it to yourself to go look at one at least and read a few car magazines about them. The magazines keep saying the quality is only one notch below the Japs, if that. They have a couple good motors now and have REALLY kicked it up a notch. Unfortunately the majority of people still view them as absolute garbage, which they were in the past. These days though they are making a pretty damn good car for the money, and you can't beat the warranty they put on them.

How do you feel about a little older used cars like 2000-2003ish? You could get something much nicer than the compacts your looking at, but I don't know how important economy and warranty is to you. Just a thought.

Mark

Xtrema
06-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Good suggestion by Mark. If you're willing to entertain Aveo, may as well check out the Accent.

While engine may not be as fine as the Japs, the amount of feature @ that price level is unheard of (heated front seats, leather wrapped steering etc).

The 5 year all inclusive warranty doesn't hurt either.

Goggle
06-19-2006, 06:02 PM
thanks everyone!

Well, the hyundai accent is actually very appealing. The price is fine and it looks nicer than the others. I looked at a Saturn Ion, but it didn't really do it for me... The Yaris also doesn't really do it for me now that the Ion was a better drive, yet wasn't really good enough either.

I'm not drawn to the Honda Fit. It's a bit too boxy in appearance. I'll definitely have to test one out though. What I worry about is the drive feeling like I'm in a tin can because I drove a Jimmy for around a year when I first got my license, and the yaris reminds me of it. The Jimmy is an SUV, but the boxy shape just throws me off, haha

I'm going to try and test drive an accent and a fit. The Ion and Yaris are options but until I know what the others are like, I don't think I want them.

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts, I appreciate it.

edit: Here's the accent set up I'd get. I doubt I'd find that exact set up at a dealership... How do you go about getting what you want?

Accent (http://www.hyundaicanada.com/HYUNDAI/Pages/PriceSteps/PriceStep4.aspx?CarCode=ABRFA2&MMJC=AB3&ModelCode=AB&MLI=..%2fimages%2fshowroom%2frequest%2fbro_img_name8.gif&CDN=4&MSC=M&DFP=13995&MNE=MANUAL&MMN=2006+ACCENT+SEDAN&CarName=GL+4-Door+5spd&CCN=Ebony+Black&CCC=EB&CCI=..%2fimages%2festimate%2fas_eb_GL.jpg&CCP=0&SEAP=0&ST=1&LanguageID=en&RateProvince=BC#)

I think I'd only be willing to pay 13300 or so. I'm not sure a dealer would go for it, but they always seem to drop the price as soon as you show signs of wanting to leave. Unless you have no money :)