PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Lite ...Good buy ?

Dren
06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Anyone know if its worth buying? for the 149 price...for fun..on road trips..to share wit friends/family to use..or get the PSP..

thx.

Thaco
06-19-2006, 11:20 AM
I'd say the DS is better than the PSP, it's got way more games, and it's games are more aimed for portability, psp has these long drawn out games that once you start you can't stop for hours, where as the DS you can play for 10 minutes, pause it, close it up, do what you need to do, open it and it's instantly ready to play again. I just went on a 6 hour roadtrip this weekend (with the inlaws) and that was the only thing that kept me sane, it felt much shorter than if i had been without it. also the 15-19 hour battery life is 3-4 times that of the psp.

The only reason i'd buy a psp over a DS is if you have a 4gb card for the PSP and plan to watch movies on it (keep in mind too that they have stopped production of UMD movies so the only way to watch them on your PSP would be to put them on a memory card)

QuasarCav
06-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
I'd say the DS is better than the PSP, it's got way more games, and it's games are more aimed for portability, psp has these long drawn out games that once you start you can't stop for hours, where as the DS you can play for 10 minutes, pause it, close it up, do what you need to do, open it and it's instantly ready to play again. I just went on a 6 hour roadtrip this weekend (with the inlaws) and that was the only thing that kept me sane, it felt much shorter than if i had been without it. also the 15-19 hour battery life is 3-4 times that of the psp.

The only reason i'd buy a psp over a DS is if you have a 4gb card for the PSP and plan to watch movies on it (keep in mind too that they have stopped production of UMD movies so the only way to watch them on your PSP would be to put them on a memory card)

Have you owned a PSP?

Play a race in RR, pause it and play it 4 days later. Way better screen, less playschool games and a way better interface.

Dren
06-19-2006, 11:29 AM

Thanks ! great info..the Bat life is a big one ....and how it can play many diff games..and it also being a bit over half the price as well

ZEDGE
06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Its a very good buy. The games are acutal handheld type games, Not shrunk down console games like the psp. Its cheaper and the games are cheaper. Wifi games are getting more popular and I think Nintendo has alot of new features coming down the pipe for the DS.

In my opinion its a much more fun little hand held than the psp. :dunno:

bball2
06-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Never owned a ds lite, but I do like my psp. I have 2 extra battereies + a 1 gig card, so it lasts a long time and I can load it up with movies, and tv shows on the card. The game selection is waaaay better too IMO (personally, I'd rather play NBA or NFL games rather than super mario)

I think the biggest thing you should look at when choosing a system is which games you like the best. Take a look at the selection of ds games, and psp games, whichever one looks better to you, go with that.

Vagabond142
06-19-2006, 01:31 PM
I haven't owned either console, but I have played on both. The PSP has the advantage of being a much more powerful console, but with that comes extremely short battery life and more of a "look what we can do!" kind of attitude that pushes the processor, which hits the battery some more.

The DS, in my opinion, has the advantage of years and years and YEARS of history behind it in Nintendo's mastery of the portable gaming system. Everything from the original Game Boy to the upcoming Game Boy Next, Nintendo has hit it on the head. They know portably systems, they know how to make games that are fun for either a 10 minute session or a 6 hour session, and they don't try to push the graphical and processing barriers, instead focusing on making their games fun and entertaining. Hence... I would buy the Nintendo. They make great games, they make excellent systems.

SLK55
06-19-2006, 05:34 PM
I dont see what the fuss is about the DSL. I looked over the library - Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mario, Care bears, Hello Kitty,etc

People still play these games? Adults that is...:rolleyes:

I tried one in EB last week and it kept my interest for about 20 seconds. The screen sucks on it and i see no point in dual screens, I can only stare at one at a time.

BigDannyCool
06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by SLK55
I dont see what the fuss is about the DSL. I looked over the library - Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mario, Care bears, Hello Kitty,etc

I tried one in EB last week and it kept my interest for about 20 seconds. The screen sucks on it and i see no point in dual screens, I can only stare at one at a time.

obviously you don't see the point in two screens since you only played with it for 20 sec. I'd say the game Brain Age is worth the money for the DSL.

cityhunter2501
06-20-2006, 10:20 PM
I own a 1.5 PSP w/ 2GB and NDSL w/ M3 and Passcard and personally I prefer the PSP because of the many homebrews made for it.

game wise, both are great in their own way, both target a different age spectrum so kinda hard for me to compare.

the NDSL IMO is all about gaming, currently Im playing Phoenix Wright, Tetris DS, Brain Age and Trauma Center, Ouendan.
Tried playing Meteos, but TBHI liked Lumines more.
you can easily access wifi so you can play with friends/people on the net, bright screen and colorful.

the PSP instead is a great all-around media tool.
playing Initial D, Pinball Classic, Table Game, Lumines atm.
it sucks though that most, if not all games only work adhoc mode so you can only play with nearby friends.
plus I can browse the Internet, watch videos, stream videos/music, listen to mp3 access and control my PC at home, emulator.
and I've used my psp several times as a road map, by loading a picture of the location from mapquest.

btw the psp, you can close it on the go too, then when you turn it on, you can resume to where you were last.

Rocky
06-26-2006, 12:45 AM
oh boy, DS versus PSP debate...

DS Lite is a great bet. It's vastly improved over the original DS, so much that 95% of people couldn't even consider the old system after playing with the new. The screen is bright and vibrant, battery life is great, it's small and sleek, and one of the DS' best features IMO: it has tons of selection.

Now PSP could be (and is, in a few respects) a great system, but it's largely only for sports games and action games, and UMD movies. But with 4-5 hours tops of battery life, for a $250 system, fuck that. Pretty screen or not, you have to be charging it as much as you play it practically. Oh, and the screen is easily scratched because it has little to no protection, unlike the DS design.

Now I own a PSP and have played DS, and I wish I had a DS. If I want to play renditions of EA games or watch movies, I play my PS2/Xbox or use the DVD player. PSP has so little variety it bores me, and the lack of true "portability" isn't a big turn on either. Have you tried fitting a PSP (incl. the protective soft case it comes with) in your pocket? EVen my baggiest jeans were a bit of a stretch. A DS Lite would easily go wherever you like, with no worries about screen damage or overexcessive charging.

For the people who say DS is for kiddies or people who are shitty gamers... try actually playing it :rolleyes: . Advance Wars is one of the most solid games made in recent years, with absolutely infinite replay value and its a ton of fun; Castlevania is a true classic which reaches its most impressive heights on portable gaming, and Portrait of Ruin is almost out too; Super Mario Bros is a classic that everyone's probably played and enjoyed, and this is just a modern day Mario game; Phoenix Wright is just one of those 'play it and love it' games for its uniqueness and entertainment; Trauma Center will challenge the fsck out of you and require some of your best abillities; and then you add the fact you have the entire GBA library as well, and you got one sweet system.

All in all, just wanted to voice my displeasure with PSP and excitement to buy a DSLite when the time comes.

note: DS wins ESPECIALLY for long trips... PSP won't even last you a drive out to vancouver :p

Vagabond142
06-26-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by SLK55

The point is.... these games are still played because they are FUN. Nintendo didn't push any massive graphics or processing boundaries with the DS because they pay more attention to quality of gaming, which is something that I, as a gamer, respect. I own a GameCube. I own some "kiddie" games for it like Legend of Zelda: WindWaker and F-Zero GX, and Viewtiful Joe. I own these games because they overshadow pretty much any PSX or PS2 game I own in terms of pure playability. Lifeline for the PS2 is the only game that I think even comes near in my library that is as much fun, and that's because it's a voice-activated game.

So I support Nintendo. I already have my Wii preordered (that sounded a LOT worse than it was meant). I want to get a DS, and yes, if I buy a Mario, Kirby or CastleVania game, it's because they're fun to play. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thaco
06-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

The point is.... these games are still played because they are FUN. Nintendo didn't push any massive graphics or processing boundaries with the DS because they pay more attention to quality of gaming, which is something that I, as a gamer, respect. I own a GameCube. I own some "kiddie" games for it like Legend of Zelda: WindWaker and F-Zero GX, and Viewtiful Joe. I own these games because they overshadow pretty much any PSX or PS2 game I own in terms of pure playability. Lifeline for the PS2 is the only game that I think even comes near in my library that is as much fun, and that's because it's a voice-activated game.

So I support Nintendo. I already have my Wii preordered (that sounded a LOT worse than it was meant). I want to get a DS, and yes, if I buy a Mario, Kirby or CastleVania game, it's because they're fun to play. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

not to mention nintendo's new marketing campaign and increased demographic target. Shown here...

http://www.touchgenerations.com/

Vagabond142
06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
^^^^

Nintendo is nothing if not masters of making fun games :D

cityhunter2501
06-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Rocky

Now I own a PSP and have played DS, and I wish I had a DS. If I want to play renditions of EA games or watch movies, I play my PS2/Xbox or use the DVD player. PSP has so little variety it bores me, and the lack of true "portability" isn't a big turn on either. Have you tried fitting a PSP (incl. the protective soft case it comes with) in your pocket? EVen my baggiest jeans were a bit of a stretch. A DS Lite would easily go wherever you like, with no worries about screen damage or overexcessive charging.

I always put my psp on my pants rear left pocket.

how long does the DSL battery last btw, I never carry it around so its always plugged at home.

btw if any of you guys are interested, I'm trying to setup a Tetris DS tournament sometimes this July.
http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9334

the winner, will recieve a free DS game of their choice, and its free to participate

Thaco
06-27-2006, 06:30 AM
DSL battery lasts 15-19 hours depending on the brightness setting.

Dren
06-27-2006, 10:37 AM
DSL battery lasts 15-19 hours depending on the brightness setting.

WoWs !!:thumbsup:

Good to hear...