PDA

View Full Version : Short shifter hitting exhaust

bigbadboss101
06-19-2006, 10:35 AM
I have a 00 ITR and the shifter is making contact with exhaust component. It's more noticeable when I have a passenger in the car.

Can it be a quick fix? I can switch it back to stock, or just push the SS over?

CryoCarnage
06-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
I have a 00 ITR and the shifter is making contact with exhaust component. It's more noticeable when I have a passenger in the car.

Can it be a quick fix? I can switch it back to stock, or just push the SS over?
how the hell does a short shifter make contact with an exhasut?!?! wtf ur xhasut is routed internally?

teggypimp95
06-19-2006, 11:37 AM
The short shifter connects right above the exhaust pipe underneither the car correct? Is it the stock exhaust? or do you have after market? I dont belive you will be able to do anything with the short shifter, but maybe just go to caroline muffler and ask them to move or bend your exhaust a little so it doesent hit. let me know if im talking about the right spot. i did this on my integra.

The Cosworth
06-19-2006, 11:39 AM
i would take it and get the exhaust lowered down, or routed to the stock location...

if the pipe is freaking huge you'll have to find somewhere for it to go... dont mess with your shift levers

bigbadboss101
06-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah someone told me that aftermarket SS would hang differently. Not sure if I want to mess with the cat back twin loop though. Might be better to find a stock ITR shifter and put that back in.

freakin
06-19-2006, 12:20 PM
I have the same problem on my Teg. It gets really bad if it's raining out and there's a lot of water on the road. Otherwise, it just rattles the odd time. I've just let it make a little dent in the top of the pipe and it gradually went away.

Really your only options are to put a stock shifter in, or make some room between the two pieces.

1-Bar
06-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage

how the hell does a short shifter make contact with an exhasut?!?! wtf ur xhasut is routed internally?

In FWD cars they don't have the luxury of the shifter sitting on top of the tranny....

CRXguy
06-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Same problem when I had a SS installed. I went to Carline and they welded in a smaller resonator, problem solved.

snowboard
06-19-2006, 08:06 PM
yah, head to carline, there awesome.

mutsuraboshi
06-19-2006, 09:03 PM
who makes your short shifter? if its b&m or a replica of it there should be a small metal fitting that resembles a skinny lock washer which functions to keep your shifter from sliding back down and out of the car. perhaps over time the shifter will be dis positioned from the wear down of the part mentioned since it has to deal with intense vibrations and you will need to either move it back to the proper height or replace the thing i metioned as it isnt doing its job anymore? goodluk

1-Bar
06-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Same problem when I had a SS installed. I went to Carline and they welded in a smaller resonator, problem solved.

Haha....I remember your lil problemo, that was badd. But I dunno, something about Carline cutting and welding a mugen peice that makes me queezy....

JordanEG6
06-20-2006, 12:53 PM
i had that problem. it was hitting my heat sheild that sits over the exhaust, i just banged away at it with my hammer and problem solved.

CRXguy
06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

Haha....I remember your lil problemo, that was badd. But I dunno, something about Carline cutting and welding a mugen peice that makes me queezy....

Yeah, two-handed reverse jam! Shit was crazy.... haha

I'd feel queezy too, but my cheap ass Greddy is starting to show a bit of rust, so I didn't really care. :thumbsdow

1-Bar
06-21-2006, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
i had that problem. it was hitting my heat sheild that sits over the exhaust, i just banged away at it with my hammer and problem solved.

lol....that will help for flow....

Aleks
07-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey guys. Someone I know bought his car and the problems is still there.

The shift knob can actually be moved up and down vertically in the cabin :eek:
I am no expert on SS but is this normal. When you pull the shifter up and shift there is no noise. When you let it drop, the shift linkage drops and contacts the exhaust.

hoamic11
07-30-2006, 03:11 PM
i've got a DC sports SS and i get the same problem that it makes contact with the heatshield above the midpipe. it'll rattle the odd time and if i pull it up nothing, however it doesn't have much room to move up and down. I've just learned to live with it, it's been in there for a couple years now