PDA

View Full Version : Bulking up for RCMP career

Alex_FORD
06-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi,

My Nephew is a typical 18 yr old - scrawny, healthy, high metabolish person

He wants to join the RCMP. His general plans are to bulk up a little while going to university for a related degree.

What's your best advice for the first 12 months of training?

I was going to reccomend that he focus on strength training for 1 year, and also do alot of running, etc. Then next year he could try to build some muscle.

Is this the best advice for my nephew?

thinmyster
06-19-2006, 03:56 PM
whoops nvrmnd

kaput
06-19-2006, 04:07 PM

l8braker
06-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Ask actual RCMP officers.

fordo_11
06-19-2006, 04:21 PM
One of my budies is applying for the RCMP, from what I gather it is a lot of endurance training that is needed, with some bulking up on the side.

Alex_FORD
06-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that he isn't much on an athlete, so it would be a good idea for him to work up to a level where he can handle the running component of the physical abiltiy test.

By then, maybe he would have a year in weight traing that would have made his muscles stronger, and given him some time to learn the exercises.

Then, in year 2 of university, he could hold the same level of activity, while making adjustments to build more muscle. The muscle without the aerobic capacity wont get him a good score on the physical testing, right?

95EagleAWD
06-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Upper body and anaerobic exercies... sprinting and suicide runs.

PARE is easy though, don't worry about that. It's Depot where it gets hard.

Alex_FORD
06-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Upper body and anaerobic exercies... sprinting and suicide runs.

Haha

for those that know of the coulee run that the LCC law enforcement students do.....the hill has a reputation of causing alot of tough guys to toss their cookies.

kaput
06-20-2006, 01:20 PM

DayGlow
06-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Practical advice, Train for the PARE. It's basically a 4min course that makes you work at 90% heart rate. Concentrate on that to get on the job. I trained for the PARE by running in a gym with bleachers on each side. Up and down the bleachers simulated the stairs part and I combined the drops to the floor into the center. What tires you in the PARE isn't the running, it's the stairs and the fact that you have to perform a drop on every lap which really sucks all of your momentium. People that just run for the PARE find it difficult, but combining the vertical work with the drops really helps.

For real cop-work, you have to be fight-trained, ie go work on a heavy bag for a 3min round and feel how that kills you. You need to be able to be in a fight for your life and survive for the time needed for your backup to get there. I personally combine weights/cardio/interval/self-defense tactics into my workout schedual. My goal is to be able to go 100% for at least 5 minutes to survive a lethal force encounter until my backup arrives.

How you train for this I can't really tell you. I know myself and I'm very different from everyone else, like they are different from others as well.

Alex_FORD
06-21-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm starting to think that I don't know my Nephew as well as I thought.

I tried to tell him about your sugestions( thought this would be a topic he might be interested in, right:dunno: ) But while we were talking, he turned on his MP3 and tuned out....Well, fuck him!

The punk has a bad attitude. Turns out he's not even registered in the Justice studies that he said he wanted. And why? Because his 'mommy' didn't register soon enough. Now its too late, and he still doesn't even realize that - at his age - his future is his responsibiliy, not his mom's.

All he's ever aspired to be is a lazy ass kid that hangs out in his mom's basement playing WOW. The way he's headed, he's not going to school. And if he's too fucken stupid to figure that one out, then he's too fucken stupid to figure out how to get a job with the RCMP.

/end of rant

DayGlow
06-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, 18 is really young to try to join anyways. Hell anyone under 25 is on the young side, so don't worry he has a few years of living his life before they would take a serious look at his application.

Now if he was 25 living in mom's basement playing WOW there would be an issue.

JAYMEZ
06-22-2006, 12:10 PM
He needs to get rid of WoW , it destroys people . Ive seen so many people not want to go out because of the game , wreck friendships and relationships , its not healthy at all.

Alex_FORD
06-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Maybe I'll get him on Beyond instead. It's much healthier. It's much healthier to be typing and discussing things, than it is to be clicking on monsters, or whatever the hell it is that he does.

Traffic_Cop
06-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry....I gotta ask..........what is Wow???

:dunno:

Forcefed
06-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Here man :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

Alex_FORD
06-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
Sorry....I gotta ask..........what is Wow???

:dunno:

WoW = World of Warcraft.
Internet based role playing game that has no end to it.

Its kind of a hightech e-version of kids playing with star wars figures. Except its based on wariors, mages, monsters, etc. typical D&D crap.

Traffic_Cop
06-22-2006, 09:24 PM
^^^LOL...cheers boys....guess im just getting old. Need my Atari back..anyone up for Asteroids???..I got Paddles & Josticks!!!!

Alex_FORD
06-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
^^^LOL...cheers boys....guess im just getting old. Need my Atari back..anyone up for Asteroids???..I got Paddles & Josticks!!!!

LOL If its Asteroids that you want. Just follow the link in my signature to my humble redneck forum.

you'll find it in a games forum in the lounge section. I havent got the high score tables working, but the game works great!

Asteroids is still an awesome game.

For those of you that are tech geeks like me, asteroids originally used vector based graphics rather than a raster based graphics like today. ie the asteroids program literally had to direct the electron gun to draw the graphics....AND to keep the graphics drawn on the screen.