PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new routine, thoughs/recommendations

schurchill39
06-19-2006, 10:51 PM
I am starting a new routine to help me gain some mass. If you picked up July's Muscle and Fitness its "The Big 10 Program".

Day 1:
Quads
Leg Press
Single-Leg Press
Leg Extension

Triceps
Weighted Bench Dip
Close-Grip bench press
Lying Triceps Extension

Day 2:
Back
Barbell Row
Wide-Grip Pull down
Deadlift

Traps
Dumbbell Shrug
Behind-the-back barbell shrug
Upright Row

Day 3:
Chest
Incline bench press (dumbbell)
Decline bench press (dumbbell)
Bench press (barbell)

Forearms
Seated wrist curl
Reverse-Grip Barbell curl
Behind the back wrist curl

Day 4:
Off

Day 5:
Shoulders
Barbell overhead press
Dumbbell Rear-delt raise
Dumbbell Lateral Raise

Calves
Standing Calf raise
Donkey Calf raise (will be substituted for something else)
Seated Calf raise

Day 6:
Hamstrings
Romainian Deadlift
Standing Leg curl
Lying leg curl

Biceps
Standing barbell curl
Alternating dumbbell curl
Hammer curl

Day 7:
Off

My goal for this is to gain mass and size. I am still a pretty small guy. My only worry with this is that its dramatically reducing the amount of upperbody work we used to do which will ultimately slow down my upper body "growth" and strength because more time is spent on other things. With this program there is alot more concentration on legs then I used to do.

Are there any more recommendations for excersise I could add or substitute or any recommended changes?

Like I said I am still pretty new to the whole weight training thing so any input is appreciated.

Unknown303
06-26-2006, 01:39 PM
From all the crap i have read over the years about working out. I would recommend a workout plan that is going to the gym ever second day, and doing a full body workout each time your at the gym.

I always read things about recovery times and it comes down to if workout your whole body, the day after is a repair day for your whole body, Lots of protien maybe creatine and NO. That way your working out muscle groups way more than doing areas of the body every other day or after each other, each day.

If you workout your upper body on monday, and its repairing on tuesday but you do a leg workout on tuesday, your body allocated resources to your legs delaying the upper body repair.

SO by doing full body, theres always the day after to repair everything.

Then you can do it over again after that.

Just my two cents.

Wildcat
06-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
From all the crap i have read over the years about working out. I would recommend a workout plan that is going to the gym ever second day, and doing a full body workout each time your at the gym.

I always read things about recovery times and it comes down to if workout your whole body, the day after is a repair day for your whole body, Lots of protien maybe creatine and NO. That way your working out muscle groups way more than doing areas of the body every other day or after each other, each day.

If you workout your upper body on monday, and its repairing on tuesday but you do a leg workout on tuesday, your body allocated resources to your legs delaying the upper body repair.

SO by doing full body, theres always the day after to repair everything.

Then you can do it over again after that.

Just my two cents.

Yup, 2 cents. that pretty much sums up the value of the advice you've given. please dont offer anymore...

schurchill39; you've got the right idea, your training split is one of the better ones ive seen posted on here for a while. i say go for it.

Unknown303
06-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Wow i'm amazed that after everything i've read its wrong? Oh well, after all i guess it was just advice.

lint
06-26-2006, 04:26 PM
If you're just starting out, you may want to pare down the exercise list at the beginning. That's alot of exercises and alot of sets each workout. You may also run the risk of over training.

My $0.02 (which may or may not be worthless as well) is that if you're trying to gain mass, stick to compound exercises (squats, bench, deadlift, barbell curls etc) that work a combination of muscles. Isolation exercises (ie leg ext) are more for cutting than mass building (ie squats). How did they not put squats in there for legs anyways?

adidas
06-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Wildcat is right...the advice that you(unknown303) have been listening/reading to is horrible.

When you are doing your chest why did you switch to doing them with dumbbells and not a bar?! Whats the reason behind it? Nothing wrong with that i just wanna know why.

You also gotta understand that when picking up all those muscle/workingout magazines that feature guys as wide as the door that they are full of protein shakes, creatine, most steroids and a bunch of other crap...so dont be pissed off when you dont reach the same results as they promised you would with a workout from their magazine.

What kind of supplaments do you plan on taking, if any?

Unknown303
06-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Using dumbbells instead of a barbell is supposed to use more stabalizing muscles to hold them in place. Not sure if that would infact increase gains or not.

Of course since i read shit thats wrong as well. Just a heads up.

kaput
06-26-2006, 09:08 PM