PDA

View Full Version : importing vehicle question. plate/insurance

sh0ko
06-20-2006, 08:51 AM
i have an mr2 coming either today or tomorrow.. dosnet have OOP yet. how the heck can i get a plate to drive it to a place then?! ive been told u can get something like transport insurance where u have like 10 days to drve it before OOP is requested. But then the registry requires OOP to get a plate!? what the heck

lint
06-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko
i have an mr2 coming either today or tomorrow.. dosnet have OOP yet. how the heck can i get a plate to drive it to a place then?! ive been told u can get something like transport insurance where u have like 10 days to drve it before OOP is requested. But then the registry requires OOP to get a plate!? what the heck

Just call your insurance company. They'll be able to fill you in. Might've been a good idea to get all this stuff checked out and finalized before you went ahead with importing a car though.

sh0ko
06-20-2006, 09:17 AM
yah nah the car is all inspected and crap just not in alberta . its been inspected in bc .. passed.. and japan b4 it was shipped.. all the documents are ready just not the OOP and i know my insurance would do that i checked its just whehter or not AMA are gonna be asses

typhoonslippery
06-20-2006, 01:30 PM
insurance places will usually require a vehcle be inspected before they insure it as it is a new policy with most places so you might have to get it towed otherwise you should be able to insure it and have 14 days to drive around on previous registration to my knowledge

Car inspection in japan was probably by the broker and does not really mean anything as it probably is not in writing and does not apply to any thing here , If you could get a copy of the inspection in BC it is possible that your insurance company might recognize it as a vehicle inspection in order to get initial insurance but an OOP will still need to be done here of course

My insurance made me get an OOP and mechanical inspection seperately

xrayvsn
06-20-2006, 01:54 PM
You can get an "In-Transit" permit for 3 or 7 days from the registry, but in order for that, you need to have proof of insurance on the vehicle. The in-transit permit basically only allows you to drive it to and from the inspection facility and/or the place you need to go to have the necessary modifications done. Find out from your insurance company if they will give you temporary insurance on the car, so you can get the in-transit permit, then use that to do your OOP. Good luck, and tell us how it goes.

typhoonslippery
06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
yeah In_transit passes require you to have your own insurance unlike in BC where they come with insurance as well

sh0ko
06-20-2006, 02:47 PM
argh

Booking Number: ---------------
Owner: --------------
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: MR2
Destination: Calgary AB
Current Location: BURNABY, BC
ETA Date: 06/20/2006
Move Status: Enroute to Terminal
File Last Updated: Tue Jun 20 16:46:25 2006

! god damnit!

yah im gonna hafta look into that! cuz i need an OOP done on that thing and hope to god its not illegal

sh0ko
06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
i dont c why it would be though considering it was already passed by BC once