PDA

View Full Version : MRS in CAN

TOYROLLA
06-20-2006, 12:59 PM
The Lotus Elise w/ Celica engine and tranny was originally only sold in the States and is now in Canada. This is the closest thing to an MR2 Spyder, so why shouldn't the Spyder be let in too!

Hakkola
06-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I believe the problem with the Spyder was the front bumper, don't quote me on that though.

TOYROLLA
06-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Could we not just throw on a different bumper, maybe even a kit. I know that there is a lack of crash test data, therefore it recieves a low safety rating.

TOYROLLA
06-20-2006, 01:13 PM
It would be soo beautiful...

air_mikey
06-20-2006, 01:24 PM
i believe it was the 15km/h (some slow speed) front bumper test that it failed. it would be nice but i dont see it happening. unless you do what someone else in calgary has done and build one from scratch.

jvillain
06-20-2006, 04:56 PM
The US has an exemption where if you don't sell more than X number of cars it doesn't have to pass all of the safety tests. That is how the spyder got in the US. Canada doesn't have that exeption. We will never know what all the spyder would need to get into Canada.

The Elise is being sold in Canada now so if you want to drop your top and go cruising all you need is some coin. Just don't ever bend one.

sh0ko
06-23-2006, 08:59 AM
nah u can get the mrs in canada u just gotta get it from the states and insure it there it i believe not sure but i know this chick near my hosue drives a black one

snowboard
06-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko
nah u can get the mrs in canada u just gotta get it from the states and insure it there it i believe not sure but i know this chick near my hosue drives a black one

no, no you cant.

www.riv.ca

its on the inadmissable list mofugga.

sh0ko
06-23-2006, 09:22 AM
meh haha i could care less what that says.. it also says the evo aint allowed here and 2 ppl drive it in calgary. Ive seen this car personally with an alberta license plateon it.. wehther tis illegal or not i dont care but that person obviously hastnbeen caught yet so good for em! =)

snowboard
06-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko
meh haha i could care less what that says.. it also says the evo aint allowed here and 2 ppl drive it in calgary. Ive seen this car personally with an alberta license plateon it.. wehther tis illegal or not i dont care but that person obviously hastnbeen caught yet so good for em! =)

those peolpe with the evo's are lucky. and super smart haha, they imported them as lancers, before RIV firgured out they were so different.

sh0ko
06-23-2006, 09:26 AM
exctly haha for all i know that license plate isnt even for the MRS but its here *shrugs* haha good for the person who got it in hehe

MR2-3S-GTE
06-23-2006, 09:51 AM
True...i've actually seen the EVO and MRS in Calgary. There was a white MRS for sale about a month ago. Not sure where it is now though. Such rare and amazin cars.

jvillain
06-23-2006, 09:16 PM
A stock MRS is far from amazing. It's underpowered, kinda fugly can't use much rubber etc. What it does have going for it though is can be turned into some thing amazing.

gerrycurl21
06-23-2006, 09:34 PM
apparently theres a silver on in edmonton

clem24
06-24-2006, 07:02 PM
There's more to cars than just power. The MR-S could probably out handle an MKII anyday. It's so light that it really doesn't need that much power. My friend test drove one a few years back, and he said it was a pretty amazing car. It had decent NA power, but was really amazed him was how well they handled. For me, I just think they messed up somewhere in the looks department. Just too chunky. Not even close to the sleekness of say, a Miata.

Redlyne_mr2
06-24-2006, 09:41 PM
I found the mrs to have too much body roll and more understeer than my mk2, personally I like the mk2 more in stock form vs the mrs :)

Projek01
06-24-2006, 09:48 PM
does anyone know why the Scion tC cant be allowed here? damit those things are nice..
also, how come it says the Lotus isnt alowed. how come i have seen a few...

clem24
06-25-2006, 01:18 AM
I think Canada has their own version of the Elise b/c of our stricter bumper laws (canadians don't know how to drive? :dunno: ). tC probably doesn't pass bumper laws either. You can get xB and xA tho... That shady Automaxx on 16th and 4th has one sitting on their lot. It's been there forever though.

I just installed ST sways on my car. I'll see how it goes. Finally got a hold of them (mopac $303 vs. speedtech $405!). Installed them, then had to go on business, so haven't had a chance to try out my car. I am dying to try them out! Also got some new shoes: stock '93 15" with Hankook R-S2! Woohoo!! We'll see if that kills a bit of the understeer.

sh0ko
06-26-2006, 08:21 AM
i think the lotus just got cleared from that list! cuz it was really recent they did that i mean theres about 10 of em in calgary so far

dj_Twin_turbo
06-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Anyone who believes the MKIII isn't admissible because of the bumpers, seatbelts or any other of the rumours is believing a load of BS :)

Similarily to the tC, I'm willing to bet that the true reason these cars aren't admissible to Canada is purely economics. Toyota wants to sell Toyota Canada's cars in Canada.

On a related note, the white car that was for sale was at a super-sketchy dealer that wouldn't answer any of my questions. As for the silver car that was for sale in Edmonton at a used car lot... it was sent back to the USA.

I know for a fact, however, that there is a British Columibia registered MKIII in the Vancouver area. My friend drives it daily... and yes... I've had a ride :)

rage2
06-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by clem24
There's more to cars than just power. The MR-S could probably out handle an MKII anyday. It's so light that it really doesn't need that much power. My friend test drove one a few years back, and he said it was a pretty amazing car. It had decent NA power, but was really amazed him was how well they handled. For me, I just think they messed up somewhere in the looks department. Just too chunky. Not even close to the sleekness of say, a Miata.
If you think 140hp in a 2300lb car is amazing, then you've never driven a real car.

clem24
06-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by rage2

If you think 140hp in a 2300lb car is amazing, then you've never driven a real car.

LOL this sounds like an epsiode of Initial D. Beware next time a Hachi pulls up behind you! :nut:

jvillain
06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
I have met some one from BC with a 3rd Gen as well. He had to go through basically the same hoops WAR did to get his in. They don't require you to change as much in BC but you still don't drive them over the border and register them.

If there were no regs stopping them coming in they would have been available atleast as a special order item.