PDA

View Full Version : top soaps

Calgarydetail
06-20-2006, 01:34 PM
so i do alot of detialing like i have mentioned and haved uses many a soaps so i was wondering what other have tried and what there top 3 are. Mine are

1: Victoria Wax super soap
2: Top of the line bubble bath (this stuff is amazing and inexpensive)
3: Poorboys Super Slick and Suds.

So what are you top pics?

Inzane
06-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Calgarydetail
so i do alot of detialing like i have mentioned and haved uses many a soaps so i was wondering what other have tried and what there top 3 are. Mine are

1: Victoria Wax super soap
2: Top of the line bubble bath (this stuff is amazing and inexpensive)
3: Poorboys Super Slick and Suds.

So what are you top pics?

Heh... Interesting topic to come up on a Calgary based forum considering that technically speaking you guys are not allowed to wash your car in your driveway (as per your bylaws).

Anyway, my favorite wash soaps are:

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wash
Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo
P21S

Mitsu3000gt
06-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Menzerna Auto Shampoo is the best I've ever used.

Mark

Calgarydetail
06-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

Heh... Interesting topic to come up on a Calgary based forum considering that technically speaking you guys are not allowed to wash your car in your driveway (as per your bylaws).

Anyway, my favorite wash soaps are:

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wash
Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo
P21S

just becasue im not supposted to dosnet mean i dont. :angel: i cant stand a dirt car so until i get caught

KKY
06-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I have Eagle One Wet Car Wash.

How do you define a good soap anyways?
lots of suds? doesn't strip wax?

Inzane
06-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by KKY
How do you define a good soap anyways?
lots of suds? doesn't strip wax?

Suds are nice, but I feel suds are somewhat overrated. To me what's more important is the lubricity of the soap... the better the lubrication (better than pure water obviously), the less likely you are to marr the paint WHILE washing it. I find Gold Class Shampoo to be very "gentle" on the paint (and it also feels like hand lotion on your hands... sorta).

Cleaning ability is important to. You want the soap to be able to lift the dirt and grime from the paint.

The stripping wax aspect depends how often you wax. If you're the type to apply a top coat of paste wax after every wash, you may not care. Also, most proper car wash soaps are supposed to be designed not to strip wax, provided you use the proper dilution ratio.

People can add other factors into the rating: pleasant smell?, economics ($/wash), tendency for spotting?, sheeting? etc.,

Even how the car LOOKS after a wash? (for anyone that's used NXT soap before, you know what I'm talking about!)

Calgarydetail
06-22-2006, 12:28 PM

Suds are nice, but I feel suds are somewhat overrated. To me what's more important is the lubricity of the soap... the better the lubrication (better than pure water obviously), the less likely you are to marr the paint WHILE washing it. I find Gold Class Shampoo to be very "gentle" on the paint (and it also feels like hand lotion on your hands... sorta).

Cleaning ability is important to. You want the soap to be able to lift the dirt and grime from the paint.

The stripping wax aspect depends how often you wax. If you're the type to apply a top coat of paste wax after every wash, you may not care. Also, most proper car wash soaps are supposed to be designed not to strip wax, provided you use the proper dilution ratio.

People can add other factors into the rating: pleasant smell?, economics ($/wash), tendency for spotting?, sheeting? etc.,

Even how the car LOOKS after a wash? (for anyone that's used NXT soap before, you know what I'm talking about!)
That covers most of it. I know personaly i cant have any detergants in my soap as it is bad for the paint. The big one for me is how slick the soap is. I dont want any marring or scratching. I have yet to find an otc soap that feels slcik to the touch. Megs has some nice soaps but they just arnt slick enought for high end paints. Also if a paint is stripping wax it means it has a detergant in it much lke a dish soap. The only time i recomend using soaps like that is when you WANT to strip the wax. Some people like to do it before claying or when trying somthing new. Basicly in the end you want a soap that wont hurt your paint or your wallet. (i personlay feel that its worth the money to buy a butique soap but others wont agree)

teggypimp95
06-22-2006, 12:31 PM
I like Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo also, i find its really gental and gets the dirt off well. You find the nxt is better then the gold class? if so then in what way.

Mitsu3000gt
06-22-2006, 01:14 PM
A good soap won't strip wax hardly at all. Most soaps, if the manufactuer matches the wax you use, are specially made to not strip their own wax. Eg. meguiars gold class soap probably is the best to use on gold class wax if you don't want to strip it.

Mark

Inzane
06-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
You find the nxt is better then the gold class? if so then in what way.

I like 'em both.

But to me the NXT seems to sheet water a bit better, and the car even LOOKS nicer after a wash. (Meg's supposedly has some kind of "gloss enhancer" added to their NXT formula, which I'm not sure if the GC has or not).

glennc
07-01-2006, 07:08 PM

Even how the car LOOKS after a wash? (for anyone that's used NXT soap before, you know what I'm talking about!) \

Oh yeah, i know what your talking about :werd:

NXT smells great, water SHEETS off afterwards, but I find sometimes its TOO gentle. I had to strip a layer of wax off that didnt turn out, but NXT mixed 2/1 in a bucket with dawn dishsoap did it.

I like to was with dishsoap and claybar once or twice a year, it gets rid of all that unwanted crap.