PDA

View Full Version : Test drive

Cypresskilla
06-20-2006, 07:03 PM
I just got back from a test drive of a 2002 WRX:eek: It was awesome. a WRX is going to be my new car. Problem with this one was it needed some body work. The grill was gone from the front and the bumper was all scratched up from someone backing into it. The right quarter panel was dinted in from a pedal bike crashing into his car, but he had a replacement one that just needed to be painted and installed. The rear bumper had a dint in it from his wife backing into a fire hydraunt and 2 of the rims had pretty nasty curb rash. It only has 98 k on it and everything else is good but i'm probably looking at $3000 just to get it back up to par. lowest he would go was probably around $18,000. What do u guys think?

That.Guy.S30
06-20-2006, 09:13 PM
go to any other subaru dealerships. they have some 02-03 for around 20ish. bargain down and show them that their cars aint worth that much.

you might want to do some research on the 02-03 mdoels. had a few problems with them.

CRXguy
06-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Sounds like the car wasn't taken care of properly.

I'd keep looking if I were you. There are better examples out there.

Cypresskilla
06-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Ok so i have heard mixed storys now. Some people have said that there 02 WRX's were bulletproof, never had a problem with them. Other people have said they had nothing but problems with the tranny, clutch etc. So i'm left wondering..... is an 02/03 WRX a good car or not???

JAYMEZ
06-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I would keep looking man , its not worth getting a car that you need to fix.

mac_82
06-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Cypresskilla
is an 02/03 WRX a good car or not???

02 had the tranny problems
03 they changed to RA width gears

Here is a car that was just posted for sale on nasioc:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012818

heavyD
06-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
I would keep looking man , its not worth getting a car that you need to fix.

Yep. $18K for a 2002 that needs work is too much plus it sounds like the car wasn't treated very well by the previous owners.

Aleks
06-21-2006, 02:36 PM
The trannies are fine if you drive like a normal person.

My WRX is brand new and I could see myself toasing the clutch and tranny within a month if really wanted to drive the crap out of my car. AWD turbo is so tempting to lauch at every stop light. haha.

Like everyone said keep looking. get a car that was taken care of better.

Cypresskilla
06-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by mac_82

02 had the tranny problems
03 they changed to RA width gears

Here is a car that was just posted for sale on nasioc:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012818

Ok so when you say tranny problems, what type of problems are related to that. Also honest question, I drive hard, is this going to be the right vehicle?

Milk2%
06-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Nope, keep looking theres better out ther.

CRXguy
06-21-2006, 06:27 PM

Ok so when you say tranny problems, what type of problems are related to that. Also honest question, I drive hard, is this going to be the right vehicle?

Hard as in hard/quick shifting or what? If you constantly do 5000rpm+ launches, then yes it will wear down very quick and go boom.

Some '02 owners with stage4 upgrades have never had a problem with their tranny, where as '03 owners have had problems, and vice versa. It all depends how you treat your car.

I change the tranny/diff oil every year and I drive my car somewhat hard. It still shifts smooth like butta! :rofl:

'02-06... same shit, different pile. :D

mac_82
06-21-2006, 07:34 PM

There are some differences between 02 & 03. The 03's have a different flywheel, clutch valve, wider gears, etc. to deal with the tranny issues. The 02 tranny's are fine if you treat them right.

Here is a good read from Unabomber the Subaru god:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665334&highlight=wrx+transmission+problems

The "Glass" transmission myth explained:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952497&highlight=width+gears

Cypresskilla
06-30-2006, 02:03 PM
JOINING THE CLUB!!!!:D , just put a deposit on an 02 WRX. it's awesome. it's been done up very nicely.
81,000KM
Apexi catless turboback exhaust
Group N engine and tranny mounts
Cobb accessport stage 2
kartboy shortthrow
Kartboyshifter bushing
Vinshu lightweight pulley
Legacy Spec B 17x7 rims
braided brakelines
Prodrive springs
KYB AGX adjustable struts
Turbosmart Dual vent blow off valve
and much more.

It also got the thickers gears put on so i won't have to worry about the tranny as much.I can't tell you guys how excited i am. this car drives like a dream and goes like a fat guy at a buffet. So hopefully i can start getting out on those sunday cruises and get to know you guys better.

I will post pics as soon as i get it home.

Aleks
06-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Congrats. hope you enjoy it!

xrayvsn
06-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Nice! Is it blue? :)

CRXguy
06-30-2006, 07:06 PM
sounds familiar.... is it silver? the owner's name is Tom?

Cypresskilla
07-01-2006, 12:01 AM
ya it is silver and tom is the owner, how do you know him

That.Guy.S30
07-01-2006, 01:12 PM
wasnt he selling on nasioc?
edit: welcome to the family

Cypresskilla
07-01-2006, 02:33 PM
ya he was. I just got it home and was going to take pics but it's starting to rain. Got to say, it's a little Intimidating. it's going to take some getting used to.

Cypresskilla
07-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Just wondering, does anyone know how much another compustar alarm remote is? i only have one key and i'm worried i'm going to lose it.

That.Guy.S30
07-02-2006, 11:26 AM
roughly 150 for the 2 way pager. if you know someone who can get you a discount they should be 80 or so.

Cypresskilla
07-04-2006, 02:01 PM
finally got some pics taken

Pic 1

Cypresskilla
07-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Pic 2

Cypresskilla
07-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Pic 3

Cypresskilla
07-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Last Pic

So when's the next Meet?

That.Guy.S30
07-04-2006, 02:07 PM
^^ nice car. i dont like the wing riser tho.
you should read up on aftermarket BOVs and subarus. they dont get along very well.

Cypresskilla
07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Why whats the matter with them?

xrayvsn
07-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Since the BOV vents to the atmosphere and is found after the MAF sensor, the car will run rich when the BOV vents. This is because the ECU is expecting the air that the BOV just expelled to the atmosphere, and adds fuel for air that isn't there anymore.

The result can be hesitation and bogging at shifts and when opening the throttle immediately after the BOV vents.

The OEM WRX uses a recirculating Bypass Valve, so it alleviates this problem, and is good to about 20psi boost.

Read Unabomber's FAQ on this:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468038

That.Guy.S30
07-04-2006, 09:53 PM
^ already give him the link.

hey where did you get your sig from? the blue sti.

redevil
07-04-2006, 10:06 PM
finally got some pics taken

Pic 1

Hey if your looking to get rid of the rims let me know!

Welcome to the club!

Cypresskilla
07-04-2006, 10:41 PM
OK, so after reading the all that info on BOV i'm not sure whether i should take it off or not take it off. On one hand it saves the life of the turbo, on the other it makes the car run a little rich. Which is the lesser of to evils

CRXguy
07-04-2006, 11:27 PM
I went through 2 bov's... blitz and hks...

It was cool to have, but i got bored of it after a while. You can hear the stock one if you listen hard enough.

GrantC
07-05-2006, 08:59 AM
OK, so after reading the all that info on BOV i'm not sure whether i should take it off or not take it off. On one hand it saves the life of the turbo, on the other it makes the car run a little rich. Which is the lesser of to evils

It *doesn't* "save the life of the turbo" the stock BPV or Bypass Valve already does that. It's just the same as a BOV that recirculates 100% of the air back into the intake tract.

And the problem isn't just running rich, it's stumbling, hesitation, and possibly the Catalytic converter in the up-pipe breaking and going into your turbo...
:eek:

Fuji
07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
^^ what he said. unless you are running a map sensor only, you can't get away from it.

IMO you are definitely better off running the stock recirc bov. --

Cypresskilla
07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
the Catalytic converter has be removed when the exhuast was installed and the BOV is a 50/50 split, so it's not blowing all the air out.

l/l/rX
07-05-2006, 06:39 PM
the wrx has 3 cats. 1 in the up pipe, 1 in the downpipe, and 1 in the mid pipe.
you got rid of the one in the mid pipe, so you still have the 2 left.

yuh soo what if you get a recirculating BOV? does it still throw off the air/fuel ratio?

mac_82
07-05-2006, 06:48 PM
You really don't need to upgrade your stock BPV unless you are running a high amount of boost / upgrade your turbo.

You can get a hybrid BOV that you can adjust the recirculation/atmospheric ratio. That way you can keep it 100% recirculation most of the time, and change it to 50/50 when you want the louder sound effects.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468038

Are there any negative effects with aftermarket BOVs? Yes. The downside of releasing the air to atmosphere is that it has already been metered by the mass air sensor, and when it blows off, the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel into the cylinders. The engine temporarily runs extremely rich, meaning too much fuel is injected into the cylinders.

This temporary rich condition isn’t usually that harmful, but it can cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle. If the condition is really bad, it can eventually foul spark plugs and even clog the catalytic converter as unburned fuel on the catalytic converter burns very hot, and too much of it can melt the cat.

theostubbs
08-08-2006, 10:34 AM
If you buy an 02, make sure the manual transmission is in good shape. I bought mine, and had to have the syncro's and several of the gears replaced (warranty work).

Rule of thumb, if the syncros in the tranny aren't lined up DONT PUSH on the stick, or you will damage stuff (as was the case with my subaru due to the previous owner).

Be-ware that an 02 will require approximately $1000 of parts to replace the clutch (plus labour). I'm just guessing, but its probably 5-10 hours of labour to replace the clutch? so your approximately $1500-2000. Subaru put in a new flyweel design or something for 03's. I'm told that all 02 drivers will have to retro-fit to the new stuff so hence the expensive ($1000) parts cost.

Also, if its around 90+km's be ware that there is a major service due at 96km requiring Brake fluid, radiator flush, new plugs, air element, oil, fuel filter, and while your at it might aswell change powersteering fluid and diff axle oil. It could be a surprise to pay good coin for a car that immediately needs a few hundred bux in maintenance.