PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Application Form?

stealth
06-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Ok I am moving to Cold Lake at the end of the month due to a new job.

I have to fill out an apartment application form.

On it they ask for my salary at my job, which I believe is personal.

They also ask for my social insurance number.

Does this have to be filled out?

I never rented before.

Thanks

Sam

ShOwOfF
06-21-2006, 01:05 AM
SIN number may be requested, but not required by law. They are likely asking for it because they will do a credit check on you.

As for income, it will be used to ensure that you have earn enough to support the rent they are charging. I would suggest filling it in to show that you can support the rent.

Just be aware that even if you don't give your sin, they will likely be able to pull a credit bureau on you anyways. So long as you sign there acknowledgement.

Weapon_R
06-21-2006, 01:07 AM
They want to know whether you make enough to make a worthwhile tenant. It's not a big deal to disclose that info.

Also, the SIN # is for a credit check to see whether you have good credit. No one wants to rent out to someone with poor credit history.

nonsane
06-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Generally it is not a good idea to disclose your SIN number to anyone as that can aid in identity theft. (Maybe you trust that person, but things can happen to the paper)

A friend of mine received a call from winnipeg saying he purchased some furniture. When he had not been there. Someone used his SIN number as a credit check. (and to prove that he had not been there he had to find a reciept of something he purchased near that date in calgary)

However if you do not give it then they also have every right to say they don't want to rent to you.

The Cosworth
06-21-2006, 09:48 AM
I gave it in my place

i wouldnt worry about it... also if your that concerned talk to them about it

NATE0513
06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Hey .. leave both areas blank, and if they question you on it then give the explanation. Ignorance will get you a long way :)

ShOwOfF
06-21-2006, 10:09 PM
I disagree with leaving it blank, especially if it is a competitive market in Cold Lake. Doing so will hamper your application, and will leave you without a place to live.

Mar
06-21-2006, 10:26 PM
According to the privacy act in Canada, you're not required to provide your SIN for any reason ever. I wouldn't worry about it though, just give it to them, let them do a credit check, and forget about it.

stealth
06-22-2006, 01:40 AM
Yea, I just filled everything out.

Its very competitive, like someone mentioned, for housing in cold lake. Almost Ft.McMurray crazy.:confused: