PDA

View Full Version : Lavasoft Ad-Watch Users - READ!!

/////AMG
06-21-2006, 07:21 AM
I would just like every Ad-Watch user to know that if one day all your short cuts disappear, and you get pop ups at your start up saying ".Ink Files Missing" AND none of your .exe files work, this is probably why.

This is what my desktop looked like:
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/624/helpppppppmeeeeeee9zw.jpg

This happened to me about a week ago and I panicked, I have like 7 or 8 Anti-Virus/spyware/malware programs and knew it couldn't be a virus or anything. I posted this one a few forums (even on here) and no one knew anything, they said it’s a virus, format your HD to get rid of it. Nothing worked - no program, except my trusty Firefox (don't know why it was working). The only way you could get a program to work is if you have a video file on your desktop and double clicked it, or the same thing with a word document. You couldn’t manually start up the program.
Anyway just before I was about to give up and buy myself a portable HD to back up my files, some helpful guy said he had seen this before. These are quotes from him.

The only time I have ever seen this missing link is Lavasoft's AdWatch writing wrong entries for the lnks in the registry.

Are you actually using AdWatch?

I believe there are programs you can download that fixes registry entries to associale the lnks to the correct files. I will have a look in a bit (unless somebody has found it by time I start looking).

Well whenever somebody has a problem with the computer one of the first responeses you will receive is "Errr, have you checked for virus" or "Oh you have spyware". These are from people who just don't have a clue at all. I am not saying it is not a virus but it is the sort of injudicious statements I see all too often.

The issues you have experienced is not something a virus or spyware writer will come up with these days. For a start, it is too simple and the other reason is that there is no benefit to the virus author that your links are corrupted.

Now you mention Adwatch I suspect it even more now.

As for System Restore, again another common response "errr try System Restore", except for these people don't know how System Restore works. It can restore your PC to a state before you installed the software which means, yes you've guessed it...., the registry is restored before the installation of software and hence, missing links!!!

I will have a look for some software to restore the links when I have time later tonight.

OK I have found this for you:-

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/lofiversion/index.php/t678.html

And that was the link that solved anything. So if you have any problems just follow that link.

TurboZombie
06-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Some good info as I use Ad-Watch! Thanks!:thumbsup: