PDA

View Full Version : Tired of all The Usual Restaurants

Bill Cosby
06-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Mannnnnnnnnnnn, everytime My Girlfriend and I go out to a restaurant its the same god damn thing, moxies/joeys/earls/BPs.. I have grown quite tired of the lame service and bland food, i need some suggestions to spice up our dining experience, any kinds of food, im more open to the asian cuisine and shes more into the indian food (shes white and makes butter chicken and subji (sp) :dunno: ) but anyways, just looking for some original restaurants more so in the SW as an alternative to the same OLD

any suggestions reviews would be great

thanks

LS Cammer
06-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Codo and Da Lat on 17th SW are both very good.

There are some very good Italian options too that won't blow the wallet out.

Salt & Pepper on McLeod has good Mexican and El Sombrero on 17th is also really good.

I like to try out those kids of places and stay away from most of those chain stores... And its nice to give some of the little guys your biz.

Thai food... Right close to the Whiskey... Thai Sa On... real good.

Lots to enjoy out there...
Cheers

AzN'SKillZ
06-21-2006, 12:48 PM
go try this sushi place downtown in dragoncity 20$ all u can eat thats a amazing deal.

or u could try vietnamese noodles (pho is what its actually called) thats really good too.

andres_mt
06-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Conga Room on Stephen Ave.

Real authentic spanish food and theres entertainment there too while you eat. :thumbsup:

andres_mt
06-21-2006, 12:51 PM
If you go there tell me what its like today. Haven't been there in a loooong time.

freakin
06-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Try The Coup on 17th Ave between 8th and 9th St. SW. It's a vegitarian restaurant with some very interesting dishes. Pricing is comparable to the chains.

:thumbsup: for the falafel quesadillas or the yam fries w/miso gravy! :drool:

3G
06-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Try Cedars Restauraunt on 8th Ave and theres this one restauraunt on 1st st, im not to sure where but shes right next to the pawn shop and she can make an awesome tabbouli :drool:

rage2
06-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Take your girlfriend out for dinner at the Y.

DeeK
06-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
Mannnnnnnnnnnn, everytime My Girlfriend and I go out to a restaurant its the same god damn thing, moxies/joeys/earls/BPs.. I have grown quite tired of the lame service and bland food, i need some suggestions to spice up our dining experience, any kinds of food, im more open to the asian cuisine and shes more into the indian food (shes white and makes butter chicken and subji (sp) :dunno: ) but anyways, just looking for some original restaurants more so in the SW as an alternative to the same OLD

any suggestions reviews would be great

thanks
:werd:

I hate all the shitty chain restaurants... they are all the same crap

As far as good places in the mid SW off the top of my head I would recommend....
Haddock and Hoffs (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133668)

szw
06-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Take your girlfriend out for dinner at the Y.

Its good but YMMV

jdm_eg6
06-21-2006, 01:37 PM
what do you guys think of the River cafe?

blitz
06-21-2006, 02:06 PM
^^^Went there for the first time during "A Taste of Calgary". Awesome food, was completely impressed.

One of the highlifhts was actually their Lemonade. Infused with Rosemary and sweetened with maple syrup.

freakin
06-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 3G
Try Cedars Restauraunt on 8th Ave and theres this one restauraunt on 1st st, im not to sure where but shes right next to the pawn shop and she can make an awesome tabbouli :drool:

The 8th Ave. location isn't there any more. Just Eau Claire and the one on Edmonton Trail left that I know of. By 1st are you talking about Falafel King? They're not bad either.

nonlinear
06-21-2006, 02:07 PM
i would suggest going to places that are not franchises/chains. places like moxies/joeys/earls/BPs focus on having consistent food at all of their locations, which means it is not 'made' on site, but is usually prepared in some factory and heated/assembeled on site.

there are lots of great indie restaurants that have those same cuisines, or you can find lots of great ethnic foods in calgary also.

a god place to start is to pick up john gilchrist's restaurant guide for Calgary. or check out his reviews at http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/johngilchrist.html

nonlinear
06-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt
Conga Room on Stephen Ave.

Real authentic spanish food and theres entertainment there too while you eat. :thumbsup:

yea, not spanish, it's really a mix of cuban and south american cuisines

rage2
06-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by szw
Its good but YMMV
:rofl:

glennc
06-21-2006, 02:21 PM
On a more special occasion when you have closer to 80$ budget go to "Santorini". Its on centre and 14th N.

The best greek food in the city. Hands down.

3G
06-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by freakin

The 8th Ave. location isn't there any more. Just Eau Claire and the one on Edmonton Trail left that I know of. By 1st are you talking about Falafel King? They're not bad either.

It's not Falalfel King, but i cant remember the name for the life of me, i think its called Ida's?

szw
06-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Cedars Deli? http://cedarsdeli.com/

LS Cammer
06-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6

River Cafe the food is very good. Their menu is quite pompous and depending on your knowledge of ingredients you might not like that part too much.
Good stuff though and a neat room.

LS Cammer
06-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Italian Places... a few hits (and misses)
La Dolce Vita - 'Little Italy' - old school perfection
Osteria De Medici - Kensington - another old school type (sorta pricey) spot
Da Michelangelo - 11th ave sw behind safeway - ultimate Mom & Pop run place, great
Buon Giorno - 17th sw - great risotto, great location.
Gnocchi's - 8th st sw - good stuff. have gnocchi of course!
Sugo - Inglewood - kind of a modern style, upscale in a neat place
Antonio's Garlic Clove - 4th st. sw - garlic is king. great pasta
Centini - stephen ave - more modern style, upscale.
Chianti - 17th sw - its quick, cheap and pretty good.
Fiore Cantina Italiana - 17th sw - another Chianti type place
La Luna Rossa - 14th st nw - last time I was there, best service of anywhere.
Prego - eau claire - overrated I think, you can skip it and not miss too much
Old Spaghetti Factory - don't even look for it. total crap. they can make better gravy at a food court

ballanation
06-21-2006, 04:17 PM
try palatal or palatel or however its spelt on mcleod
its my favorite restaurant, its a mongolian/thai grill and they also have sushi...its not too expensive either

403Gemini
06-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
i would suggest going to places that are not franchises/chains. places like moxies/joeys/earls/BPs focus on having consistent food at all of their locations, which means it is not 'made' on site, but is usually prepared in some factory and heated/assembeled on site.

*snip*

no it isnt :rolleyes:

i used to work at joeys and its all made there. Same with east side marios (which is CRAP imo lol) and BP's.

cant vouch for moxies but all food is usually prepared that day, the day before at the earliest.

Bill Cosby
06-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ
go try this sushi place downtown in dragoncity 20$ all u can eat thats a amazing deal.

or u could try vietnamese noodles (pho is what its actually called) thats really good too.

Neither of us are really into sushi but, i am Big on Pho whereas she doesnt even bother with it

Originally posted by rage2

Whats YMMV? (+Y+)

also thanks for all the posts, looks like we'll have to venture to some more italian restaurants,..

the best chain restaurant that i enjoy is Olive Garden, love the bread sticks and soup, normally full by the time the main course comes so i just take it for work the next day, thats dinner and next day lunch for the price of one meal

haha.. anyways keep em coming!!

AsianCaucasian
06-21-2006, 08:21 PM
For Indian Cuisine Try Namskar on 16th ave just past centre st. It's my personal favorite Indian restaurant.

blitz
06-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian
For Indian Cuisine Try Namskar on 16th ave just past centre st. It's my personal favorite Indian restaurant.

The lunch buffet is by far the best deal. Went for dinner once and quality seemed exactly the same, but portions were very small.

Alex_FORD
06-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby

Neither of us are really into sushi but, i am Big on Pho whereas she doesnt even bother with it

Whats YMMV? (+Y+)

also thanks for all the posts, looks like we'll have to venture to some more italian restaurants,..

the best chain restaurant that i enjoy is Olive Garden, love the bread sticks and soup, normally full by the time the main course comes so i just take it for work the next day, thats dinner and next day lunch for the price of one meal

haha.. anyways keep em coming!!

If you like Olive Garden, then how about trying Lucianos? They have non-stop bread sticks and bruschetta. And 4 can eat there cheaper than 2 at the Olive garden.

aklalani
06-21-2006, 10:59 PM
if price is no issue, then try La Breza, Brava Bistro, or Chicago Chophouse:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

little_wan
06-22-2006, 12:14 AM
I once got 4 kinds of dip with my chicken fingers at Zeller's resteraunt and the service was excellent!

Delmar
06-22-2006, 12:17 AM
ATLAS ON 9TH AVE!! MMMMMMM KABOBBBBBBBB

Vagabond142
06-22-2006, 12:32 AM
If you want the hands down best italian in town, there is nothing, and I mean nothing that beats Da Guido's on Center St N. It's just south of 20th Ave N on the west side of the road. It's a small place, not many tables so a reservation would be advisable. Atmosphere is low key, very warm and lots of conversation, but no yelling or such like you get at Moxies and places like that. Average meal per person, depending on what you have, can range from $20-$50. But believe me.... it's so worth it.

CCM Pro
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by little_wan
I once got 4 kinds of dip with my chicken fingers at Zeller's resteraunt and the service was excellent!

CCM Pro
06-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
If you want the hands down best italian in town, there is nothing, and I mean nothing that beats Da Guido's on Center St N. It's just south of 20th Ave N on the west side of the road. It's a small place, not many tables so a reservation would be advisable. Atmosphere is low key, very warm and lots of conversation, but no yelling or such like you get at Moxies and places like that. Average meal per person, depending on what you have, can range from $20-$50. But believe me.... it's so worth it.

:thumbsup: damn rights

saiyajin
06-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD

If you like Olive Garden, then how about trying Lucianos? They have non-stop bread sticks and bruschetta. And 4 can eat there cheaper than 2 at the Olive garden.

whereabouts is this Lucianos?

A2VR6
06-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

whereabouts is this Lucianos?

Directly across from Foothills hospital same strip mall as the keg.

grock698
06-29-2006, 11:18 AM
For some good food but very pricey is the Living Room on 17th AVe.

Great food we Had the chef Special and it was amazing it was like a 5 course meal. WIth seafood, steak, chix.

You can pretty much get whatever you want they ask if you have allergies to anything and what you like and they create your own custom meal for you. It was amazing but very pricy.

Our tab was like 300 bucks for dinner and a glass of wine paired with every course.

Highly reccomend for a special occasion.

JspecB16
06-29-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't know if anyone has said this yet because I scrolled through quickly but OPEN SESAME on Mcleod tr. is awesome. It is asian cusine and they have a mean butter chicken there too.

Trust me this place is nice too, you will want to make a reservation. Its in the same building as smugglers inn, just on the other side of the building.

check it out

dance4life
06-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6

way overpriced.

only thing going for it is the setting. food is good but not THAT good IMO. pleasant service.

Don Quixote's. Awesome food.

The Verve (on 4th) For something a bit more intimate and pricey but very good.

KrnStyleZ
07-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Try Korean Barbecue...
A Place called Bow-Bul-Go-Gi

Located on 17th Ave Across from Ernest Manning High School by Westbrook Mall..

One of the best Korean Barbecue in Calgary I'd say

broken_legs
07-03-2006, 03:06 PM
I'll second teh comment on the Zellers restaraunt!

If you like Greek food to to SPIROS on the corner of 33rd St and 17th Ave SW

broken_legs
07-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Anybody ever go for shwarma at trhat A& A deli somewhere around SAIT there???

That place is awesome!! And Filling!!! And loaded with GARLIC

Azn_Rice_Man
07-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Anyone tried Buddha's Veggie Restaurant on Macleod Trail by Silverhill Acura? 100% vegetarian restaurant famous for their imitation meats (ie: veggie ginger beef, spicy dried ribs, salt and pepper eel...)

www.buddhasveggie.com

Azn_Rice_Man
07-03-2006, 04:36 PM
In regards to the chains having a "factory" to create all the food and "assembling/heating" the food at the restaurant, I think you're assuming they're all like McDick's...

Places like Earl's n Joey's usually have the freshiest ingredients compared to many other restaurants, as their inventory turnover rate is extremely high and the management is able to stock to the ideal level... However, having said that, the times that you have crappy food there is more than likely due to the crappy cooks that don't give two rats ass about their jobs... No offense to people who works there, but many of them are just unprofessional...

qrankz
07-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Kashmir - 17th ave
Chutney - sunlife building
Indonesian place on corner of 17th ave and 14th street SW
Pegasus - greek
Mannies on 17th ave - greek
Metropolitan Grill - 17th ave
Towa Sushi - 4th st Mission
Original Joe's - wicked bruschetta
Barclay's - Eau Claire Sheraton
King and I - thai food
Thai Sa On - beside Whiskey
Sun Chiu Kee - chinese
Central Grand - chinese - on top of New Asia Supermarket
Pho Kim - near Sun Chiu Kee
Pho 1 - near Sun Chiu Kee
Bagolac - near Chuckles at Chinook

black_2.5RS
07-07-2006, 09:19 AM
If you want to go to somewhere special (meaning expensive as well) - go try:
- Muse in Kensington
- Rouge in Inglewood
- Il Sogno

doublepostwhore
07-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Chutney's in sun life plaza is some of the best indian cusine in the city.

The chef is DIRECT from kerala, all of the "cooks" are red seal chefs, with moxies pricing.

TERRIFIC service, some of the best service I have ever recieved.
I went in the middle of a dinner rush, no reservations with my girlfriend and her 4 friends. Everyone of them of them ordered modified dishes. Like no coconut, beef vinduloo minus the beef, add pork kind of shit.

Anyone that knows ANYTHING about indian food knows that those kind of changes completely ruin a dish as the curry had been made already and was freshly made for that service.

Anyways everyone got exactly what they wanted, and they all concluded that it was one of the best meals they have ever had.

Chutney's +1 try it!

Vagabond142
07-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs
Anybody ever go for shwarma at trhat A& A deli somewhere around SAIT there???

That place is awesome!! And Filling!!! And loaded with GARLIC

It's on 20th ave NW between 14th and 19th streets NW :D I go there once a week for the medium donair (which is about the size of my freakin forearm o_O!) which is LOADED with goodies, and like a good donair is extremely messy to eat :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

h0tm1x
07-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

no it isnt :rolleyes:

i used to work at joeys and its all made there. Same with east side marios (which is CRAP imo lol) and BP's.

cant vouch for moxies but all food is usually prepared that day, the day before at the earliest.

i know this post is from way back. I worked at BP's last year and i wouldn't exactly call what they do there "cooking". All the chicken comes in Precooked, Pre-portioned. All the sauces are shipped in and all that needs to be done is heating. Same with soups only you have to add water. Gravy/aujus comes from a packet, even the mashed potatoes come in a bag. It's more of an assembly line there then everything gets thrown in the oven or the microwave. The only real kitchen type stuff that is done is the cooking/portioning of the pasta, making the pizza dough and portioning it, veggie prep and shredding cheese. Even the meat for the pizza is precut/pre cooked. all you have to do is portion it. For someone with an education in cooking, This was a very disappointing job (not to mention they're cheap! )

h0tm1x
07-11-2006, 12:50 AM
has anyone tried Julio's Barrio in Kensington? Is it good? How's the pricing? As for Greek food, there's this little place on 17th, Crete Souvlaki. It's actually in a gas station. Best greek food i've ever had.

eb0i
07-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Instead of going out to restaurants all the time... you could always try cooking with your gf. My gf and I got sick of going to restaurants and put in a conscious effort to just cook at home and I must say it is a lot more enjoyable than going out to the usual bp's/earls/moxies, etc.

Try it :thumbsup:

XTC323
09-21-2006, 01:44 PM
One place I would suggest NOT going is Sushi BBQ Inn on 16th ave across from SAIT in the NW. They spit in my teapot because I asked for more tea and served it to me later - how disgusting is that.
Who knows what else they do to your food. I can't believe I ate there so many times - I must have ingested a gallon of spit or something by now. Disgusting.

Sushi Ichiban is good though! It's on Mcleod Trail - another all you can eat Sushi place if that's what you're into - they have way better service and way better food - plus they probably won't spit into your food either.

mekeni
09-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Applebees in Country Hills
Tokyo Garden in Southland and Mcleod
Fat Burger..... in Heritage, I think....

adamc
09-23-2006, 01:11 PM
DA LAT on 17th ave.

holy crap amazing thai food, hot & sour soup, thai curries, viet pho, so much good food and it's not pricey.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Hydr0nik
09-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Santorini is great for greek...
Pegasus is greek also(12th ave @ 14st sw) but a way lively atmosphere

NGRPLZ.NET
09-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Redwater Grill on Macleod, it's the old lucianos. Awesome atmosphere incredible food.

DepTrotter
10-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by NGRPLZ.NET
Redwater Grill on Macleod, it's the old lucianos. Awesome atmosphere incredible food.

they still got brushetta and soup unlimited with meals?

Hash_man
10-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't know if anyone has said this yet because I scrolled through quickly but OPEN SESAME on Mcleod tr. is awesome. It is asian cusine and they have a mean butter chicken there too.

I agree... the atmosphere and service have always been great when I go there. Personally I don't like the mongolie grill style make your own dish, but everything I have had off of the menu was quite good. Reasonably priced too.

^^No there isnt free bruscetta and bread there now, it is a more upscale restaurant then lucianos. The executive chef is Ned Bell, which some of you may have heard of.

I have only been there once, but the food was outstanding, and I'll be going back next week.

I like greek food a lot, and broken plate in willow park was pretty good, and Plakas in Shawnessy was excellent, small place but great food and service.

Anyone tried Buddha's Veggie Restaurant on Macleod Trail by Silverhill Acura? 100% vegetarian restaurant famous for their imitation meats (ie: veggie ginger beef, spicy dried ribs, salt and pepper eel...)

Most of my family has been and they love that place. My sister won't eat beef, so especially likes it. Apparently you can't tell half of the stuff is vegetarian.