PDA

View Full Version : process for painting rims??

Gravy_83
06-21-2006, 04:10 PM
well unless they are all beat up i am getting some rims tomorrow but would like to have them black so what is the process to paint rims??

jphongsa
06-21-2006, 07:56 PM
powder coat

civicrider
06-21-2006, 09:08 PM
or you can sand blast em then lay down an epoxy primer then paint them with a strong urithane paint

jaskirat
06-22-2006, 08:19 AM
for mass production of non-chrome wheels, clear coat is the initial layer, following by paint sprays, then another layer of clear coat.

if you're talking about stuff done at speed shops, i'm not really sure.

Gravy_83
06-23-2006, 11:38 AM
well i just got a set of old vw snowflakes i believe they are called. they look great on the civic but I think they would look killer in a nice black or bronze maybe even gold. I don't want to pay someone to do this if I can do them myself. but also do the tires need to be off the rims or can I still do the rims if I tape off the tires??

JRSC00LUDE
06-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
well i just got a set of old vw snowflakes i believe they are called. they look great on the civic but I think they would look killer in a nice black or bronze maybe even gold. I don't want to pay someone to do this if I can do them myself. but also do the tires need to be off the rims or can I still do the rims if I tape off the tires??

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone outside Ricky from trailer park boys paint his wheels with the tires on. I just did a set of wheels black. Blasting and powder coating only cost $200. Works great, looks fine, and way more durable than paint.

Gravy_83
06-23-2006, 12:19 PM
hahah thats how much i paid for the rims hahah. anyways i will wait till i need to get new tires i guess and i have seen people do it themselves that looked great as well. and can rims be powdercoated in any colour??

DC2
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
its really not too hard to do. it doesnt take as long either..
it just takes alot of time to mask off the tires and areas that you dont want to paint.

there is an article on teamintegra.com that tells you how to do it

arian_ma
06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.abtegs.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21
Courtesey of Mikey_mo_love, thanks dude!

It cost me 8$ to paint my rims, and it was supppppper easy. As long as you know how to use a spray can to paint you really really can't screw it up.

Good luck man! :bigpimp:

JRSC00LUDE
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
And I've obviously found another way to expose my general ignorance about another thing car.....guess I'll cancel my plans to quit my day job and become an advice columnist.

Gravy_83
06-23-2006, 03:09 PM
well that looks easy to do and with my rims i wouldn't have to worry about it that much since they aren't as nice as gsr blades hahaha. Anyways I think thats the way im going to go and do them on a nice day off

QuasarCav
06-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
http://www.abtegs.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21
Courtesey of Mikey_mo_love, thanks dude!

It cost me 8$ to paint my rims, and it was supppppper easy. As long as you know how to use a spray can to paint you really really can't screw it up.

Good luck man! :bigpimp:

He should be shot for that. A nice set of blades ruined.

IMO of course.

arian_ma
06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

He should be shot for that. A nice set of blades ruined.

IMO of course.

I like it, I think silver cars on silver rims look waaaaaaaay too plain. At least his car has some contrast now.

I did that to my blades, though I used bronze, looks amazing for 8$ worth of paint if you ask me.

Gravy_83
06-23-2006, 05:41 PM
so is duplicolour the best paint for this kind of job??

arian_ma
06-23-2006, 05:44 PM
I liked it...I haven't really tried anything else though to tell you if it was the best or not.

Gravy_83
06-23-2006, 08:12 PM
sweet and how safe is it to just switch from rims to steelies and then back to steelies without having the rims put on professionaly i don't have a torque wrench so i would kinda just have to hope they are on tight enough

DC2
06-23-2006, 08:15 PM
i used brake caliper paint. it repells brake dust :thumbsup:

and it was the only kind of paint in the color i was looking for

euro_racer
06-23-2006, 08:47 PM
i was gonna paint my rims for the se-r but prepping them (multy-spoke wheels rh c2's almost similar desight as snowflakes but bigger and with a lip and straight spokes) was just not worth the time and effort...getting them sandblasted for 200$ on monday :D

i have another set of wheels for my jetta, 5 spoke with a lip and it wasnt too bad to prep. those wheels are going to get painted as soon as i decide what color i want them done in and im going to use either brake caliper paint or the crappy tire rim paint :thumbsup:

ianmcc
06-23-2006, 09:10 PM
If your gonna paint rims you need to prep, prep and prep some more. Sand the original finish to give the paint something to bite into. You will really regret trying to hand-sand snowflake rims. Get them media blasted then paint or powdercoat.

euro_racer
06-23-2006, 09:21 PM
exactly..the rims im painting took me 4 weekends to prep and they are 5spoke...snowflakes i would suggest sandblasting/mediablasting aswell :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
06-23-2006, 09:36 PM
painted rims are t3h gh3y

gp36912
06-23-2006, 09:58 PM
^^^ says the man with green rims :D

if its done right, it would look great :D i personally would have no problem painting and clear coating my own rims, :D but then i work at a body shop so i guess sanding isn't too difficult for me to do for hours at a time

Gravy_83
06-24-2006, 12:44 AM
ok well here's another question what products could I use to polish em nice and shiny. they have some minor and i mean very minor rust spots on them...if i can get them looking nice without getting them off the car for days at a time I would just restore them to their initial glory hahah i can't afford to go on my steelies anymore ruined my winter tires

arian_ma
06-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
ok well here's another question what products could I use to polish em nice and shiny. they have some minor and i mean very minor rust spots on them...if i can get them looking nice without getting them off the car for days at a time I would just restore them to their initial glory hahah i can't afford to go on my steelies anymore ruined my winter tires

Rust?! What kind of rims you got man?

Gravy_83
06-24-2006, 02:34 AM
i dunno if it's rust or just not shinny anymore but they are just old vw rims that i got for until i get my 5 lug conversion but i want to make them look better since I'll be sporting them until winter

BiG_BoI_LuDe
06-24-2006, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Rust?! What kind of rims you got man?

don't know why i'm bringing this up... but I just LOL when I read that... I'm an idiot... I know

GTS Jeff
06-24-2006, 03:56 AM
Arif was telling me that he managed to spraybomb his wheels with the tires mounted by using cue-cards to mask the tires.

EK 2.0
06-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Arif was telling me that he managed to spraybomb his wheels with the tires mounted by using cue-cards to mask the tires.

I did, and it works AMAZING...but I am not taking credit for that idea...I got it from CivicDXR...

Gravy_83
06-25-2006, 12:03 AM
thanks guys hahah
any products out there to get the rims nice and polished?