PDA

View Full Version : Imported US 2006 Subaru Impreza STI

xrayvsn
06-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I finally borrowed a digital camera to take a few pictures of my car. I imported it from Seattle over the May long weekend, and have recently completed the RIV inspection. The trip from Seattle took me to just past the recommended 1000 mile break-in.

My first impressions of the car. Wow, this car has a lot more power than I am used to. The sensation of boost forcing you back into the seat is addicting, and I have to be restrained while driving, especially when I have my son in the back. There is actually adequate torque off-boost to make it a fun daily driver, and I can actually cruise on the highway for long periods without fatigue on my part.

The Brembo brakes grip well, and are easy to modulate, but the brake dust they produce is unbelievable. The wheels get dirty almost immediately after I wash them - so I will maybe get a darker set of rims for my winter set. The big wing cuts my visibility out of the back, and I find it funny watching the middle of it bouncing around when I drive. If I can get my hands on a 2007 STi Limited trunk with decklid spoiler I may go that route.

Despite my wife's reservations about the blue interior, I quite like it. The Alcantara seats in the front have a hidden feature that Subaru does not tell you about. They leave an imprint of the last person who sat down - to the point that I can almost tell what type of underwear my wife is wearing ;)

Here are a few pictures I took of my car the other day. I had more but I took a Sunday drive with my son, and he was in a lot of the pictures. My wife asked that any pictures that you see him not be included, but I can take more pictures another time.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/pa8c84b5b9811d6924fd5daf36678d537/ee649467.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p678c427bbc150ca3e7e9324da8c797f0/ee649432.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p1cc7acf742a91ecc3a7900375f12d333/ee649404.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p150367295da24276c83ec174bbc327de/ee6493d3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p5414feaa73870d22b6b15e6cd5f705ed/ee64939b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/pff78af7e58eea904da89545bf6918c68/ee649370.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p91f4924d38edcadb1fb08803e40a4b84/ee6487fe.jpg

xrayvsn
06-21-2006, 11:41 PM
I want to start off by thanking Benyl for pointing out that this is even possible, and the cost savings you can have by doing this. My pocket book and adrenal glands thank you :thumbsup:

In order not to duplicate the excellent information in Jaymez importation thread, I have decided to make this post into a FAQ. I also have specific directions for exiting through Blaine, Washington/Pacific Highway US/Canada border stations.

1. Why did you buy it in the US?

Cost savings, pure and simple. Including my flight, gas, duties and taxes, I estimate that I saved $10,000 - $12,000 over a Canadian STi. See the post below for the rough breakdown of costs. I would probably have saved another $1000 if I had waited 2 or 3 weeks to exchange currency, but these things are out of my control.

2. Is the warranty still valid?

I e-mailed both SoA and SoC (Subaru of America/Canada) regarding this. Their responses to me:

Dear xrayvsn:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site and for your message!

The warranty on vehicles sold in the United States is mutually interchangeable with Subaru Canada's warranty and will be honored at any Subaru Dealer in the U.S. or Canada.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to reply to this email!

Best wishes,

Samir Hasan
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
-----------------------------------------------------------
YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

Re: Subaru Warranty Coverage

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and hope to export a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi from the USA for my personal use in Canada. I notice from the Subaru of America website that "Any and all repairs must be performed by an Authorized Subaru dealer located in the United States." The nearest United States Subaru dealer from Edmonton is over 6 hours away, in Montana if I needed warranty service.

Is there a way I can still obtain warranty coverage in Canada from a Canadian Subaru dealership for an exported United States vehicle?

Thank-you for your time,

xrayvsn

The SoC response to the same e-mail:

xrayvsn,

The program with Subaru of America covers US vehicle owners who have relocated to Canada or are traveling in Canada. The intent of the reciprocal warranty agreement is to allow US visitors the benefit of emergency warranty repairs while in Canada.

As this is an uncommon practice and primarily meant to offer assistance to US citizens vacationing or in transit through Canada a dealer may encounter difficulties determining if a repair is warrantable which may in turn delay the repair process. This program was not designed to accommodate Canadian residents who have purchased a Subaru vehicle in the United States for the purpose of importing the car into Canada.

Should you decide to import a US vehicle into Canada you will need to contact the NRIV (National Registrar of Imported Vehicles) at 1-888-848-8240 or online at www.riv.ca for additional information regarding this process.

We trust this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Christina Morris
Senior Consumer Support Representative
After Sales
1-800-894-4212
www.subaru.ca

You can decide for yourself what the 2 e-mails meant. Note that the SoC e-mail did not outright say "no you're SOL", just that there may be a delay in the repair process.

Warranty coverage may be changed in the future, but for a $10,000 savings I am ok with that chance.

3. Are the US and Canadian STi identically featured?

No, the US STi does not have the seat warmers, heated side mirrors or the reat seat pass-through present in the Canadian STi. Of course, the speedo and trip meter are in MPH and the outside temp gauge is in Fahrenheit. The fun bits are identical - so its kind of like dating one of a set of twins. To the casual observer they look identical, but there are a few minor differences. The ride... Well, you get the idea ;)

4. Where did you buy the car? Why did you buy it there?

I bought the car from Joe Spitz, from Carter Subaru in Seattle Washington. He also runs the cars101.com website, which I also found pretty helpful.

I bought in Seattle for a few reasons: Flights to Seattle are pretty cheap ($270), and short. A dealership in Montana, while closer in distance, would require a more expensive flight, or someone to drive me to the dealership. There are also several Subaru dealerships in the Seattle area to do comparison shopping. A quick e-mail or phone call will net you a lot of info. Seattle is also very close to the border, and to Vancouver, where I have friends where I can stay for free on my way back.

5. Did you pay State Tax in Washington?

No, you need to prove you are not a Washinton state resident, and Carter Subaru did not charge me any State tax. I only paid the negotiated price, and $25 for a temporary Washington permit because I asked for it. I suspect that the dealership would have thrown it in without my asking.

I proved my Alberta residency by bringing some utility bills that were in my name. You can also bring rent receipts or mortgage papers instead, I suppose.

6. How do you go through the process of importing the car?

This has been covered extensively in Jaymez_STi excellent thread. I also have a few other links I referenced from other people who have also done this, so a quick read can yield lots of useful info:

RIV website (http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html)
MR2 importation thread (http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/Import.html#Sec4)
Jaymez Import thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107279&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=1)
LGT import thread (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24153)
Nabisco 2006 STi thread (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846653)
Nabisco 2006 WRX thread (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867074)

Since Jaymez's thread covers importation of a used vehicle, I'll just quickly mention what you need to bring a new vehicle across the border.

Before you cross the border - this applies to the Blaine, Washington crossing. I don't know if the rules are different elsewhere

Fax both sides of the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin to the border crossing, as well as the purchase order with your name, and the car VIN on it. These should have been faxed to you by the dealership. You should also fill out and fax this form at the same time: http://www.hddbroker.com/en/resources/documents/EquipmentExportWorksheet.pdf

For Blaine Washington, the fax number is: (360) 332-2632
I got this number from this website: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/wa/3004.xml

The 3 documents need to be at the border crossing 3 business days before you cross. While they say 72 hours, they do not process the forms on the weekends or holidays, and weekend/holidays do not count towards the 72 hours. They will also not start processing the forms outside of their office hours, or after 15:00. Also note that the export office opens from 08:00 - 15:30 M-F, and you can not cross when they are not open.

As an example, if you fax your documents to them on a Friday at 14:00, you cannot cross until Wednesday 14:00.

You can confirm that your documents are complete a day or 2 after you have faxed them. The contact number they provide (360) 332-2639 - is just a message that tells you that you need to e-mail them any inquiries.

The e-mail address they give you: [email protected]

You need to provide the following info in your e-mail: Year, make, model, and what state the vehicle is titled in. If there is a carrier company transporting the vehicle, you need to include the company name. They will e-mail you back to tell you that everything is good.

I also set up both car and health insurance for my drive back. I went to the registries and picked up a temporaray "In Transit" permit that allowed me to drive the car from the border to my house without registration. This cost about $24, and is good for 7 days as long as you will be in more than one province on your drive. If you will be in your home province, I think they can only give you a 3 day permit, but I am not so sure about this.

At the Blaine, Washington border crossing

I knew from my research that I needed the MSO stamped exported on the US side, and that I needed to fill out paperwork and pay for duty etc. on the Canadian side. The details of where to go, where to park, etc was a bit hazy. My experience here led me to believe that even the border patrol officers are not as familiar with the process.

I first ended up getting siphoned into the Canadian crossing lanes, where I showed my passport and declared that the vehicle I was driving was being exported. The Border Patrol guard told me incorrectly that I would be able to import the car before having it exported. She also told me I could park my car at the Canadian side while I got the paperwork.

Do not cross over to the Canadian side until you have your MSO stamped exported. The US export office was not happy when I told them I was parked on the Canadian side, but he stamped my MSO anyway. I also did not have the vehicle equipment export worksheet filled out ahead of time, but he let me fill it out at the office. Technically this should have also been filled out 72 hours before my arrival.

Directions to the US Export office: There is a special place that you park your car before you stamp it exported. To park, exit the I-5 at exit 275 - past 2 traffic lights (Boblett and H street). You will go over a small hill, at the bottom of the hill there will be a left hand turn that goes around a small building with a sign marked KIOSK. You park in that left hand turn. Walk across the southbound traffic headed to the US, and go into the US Customs and Immigration office - a brown barn-looking building. The export booth has a window on the left side about half way into the room.

After you get this done, you can then proceed across to the Canadian side, and get all your paperwork, pay your GST, Duty and RIV fee.

The border patrol guard who processed my RIV papers on the Canadian side did not look at the sticker of compliance or of manufacture that is on the hinge pillar of the car. Some of them will come out to the car and check, but you can probably avoid this if you check this yourself and note the date and place of manufacture, as they will want to know this for the RIV paperwork.

Cost breakdown of fees at the border
$209 RIV fee
$100 Excise tax on cars with A/C
6.1% Duty on the converted Canadian price
7% (now 6%) GST on the Canadian converted price
They will list the day's exchange rate near the cashier booth. You can pay this with a credit card, so make sure you have enough room on it before you cross, since this step will hit you with about $5,000 worth of fees.

You should make sure they stamp the top of your Form 1 from RIV indicating the border crossing and date. You need this stamp for getting the car registered.

7. How do I get the car registered?

Technically, the correct way to do this is to wait for your inspection papers from the RIV to arrive. They tell you that you will get them within 10 days. Once you get the car inspected at Canadian tire, they will stamp the front of your Form 1, and you take the white copy to registries to get a plate for the car.

You will not need to modify the 06 WRX or STi in any way to pass inspection. They both have DRL and proper child restraints, so the inspection should be very quick.

I ran into some delay at this step. RIV did not send me my paperwork after the 10 days. I had to phone them several times, and they ended up e-mailing me a pdf of the Form 2 papers. Despite not having the Form 2 or second inspection stamp on my Form 1, I managed to get the car registered. Here is how:

Don't go to AMA, since they will refuse to register your car without the second stamp on your Form 1. I tried on 3 separate occasions at different AMA locations, and it was as if they had all recently had an inservice on this. I then went to a small registry, and they did accept the Form 1 without the second stamp. They also asked me for an out of province inspection, which I avoided by telling them that it was a brand-new car. This is true, you do not need an OOP on a new car, as I had this confirmed each time I went to the AMA to get registered. So a big :thumbsup: to incompetence, as it got me on the road a few weeks earlier than I technically should have.

CRXguy
06-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Congrats.

I drove an '05 a while back. If I wasn't married, I'd trade my WRX in a heartbeat!! :rofl:

benyl
06-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Get some lock nuts for dem BBS wheels.

max_boost
06-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Congrats man. I hope you had a fun drive on your way back. The power delivery is so smooth and instant on the WRX, I can't even imagine what it is like on the STi. :eek: :burnout:

I also contacted Subaru Genuine Parts about the STi limited trunk spoiler, it isn't available yet.

Oh yah, you mind disclosing how much you paid all said and done? Did you manage to get any discount from the US dealer? I really wanted to go this route too but I didn't have time for it. I did get a pretty good deal on my 06 Aspen White though, $3k off and 2.8% financing hehe

xrayvsn
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Get some lock nuts for dem BBS wheels.

I can't find them anywhere but at the stealership. According to the McGard fitment guide, I need 12 x 1.25 but Canadian Tire does not carry those. Neither did the Partsource I went to. Any other places carry them?

GTS Jeff
06-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Such a nice upgrade from an EL. :drool:

xrayvsn
06-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Oh yah, you mind disclosing how much you paid all said and done? Did you manage to get any discount from the US dealer? I really wanted to go this route too but I didn't have time for it. I did get a pretty good deal on my 06 Aspen White though, $3k off and 2.8% financing hehe

Nice choice on colour, I wanted white, but my wife told me that as a compromise for the blue interior, I could only choose between black or blue.

2.8% financing is awesome!

I got the car at the invoice cost which is $31,400 before options. My car cost $32,300 US with boost gauge, short shifter, titanium shift knob and sub. I should have bought lock nuts while I was there, but figured I could get them from Candian Tire or Partsource. I did not finance the car, since I had room on a PLC at prime. The exchange rate when I bought the car was 1.12 and I got my money exchanged at 1.14 from my bank. There was no state tax on the car, so my Canadian price was 36,800. Tack on $100 excise tax, 6.1% duty and 7% GST at the border = $4800. Add in to that the $209 RIV fee. My flight was $270, and I spent about $140 on gas.

Total cost was in the neighborhood of $42,000

turab16
06-22-2006, 02:26 AM
that is a very good deal, i think u saved atleast 8000 easy!

smart thinking......... but don't u think a second hand with 5-10k would have saved you additional 5gs maybe?

just wondering.........

Aleks
06-22-2006, 06:49 AM
Looks great man.

Have fun with it and be safe.

khtm
06-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Nice!

Can't wait to read your notes on importation.

heavyD
06-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Nice car. :thumbsup: Makes me wonder why anyone would buy an Sti from a Canadian dealership at those savings. I'm surprised the car didn't come with lock nuts. Courtesy Chrysler installed and charged me for lock nuts without even asking me. Does the boost gauge illuminate?

max_boost
06-22-2006, 11:36 AM
^^^

HID's are standard on American STi's too :D

When that STi limited comes out, I'm going to be sooooo tempted haha:bigpimp:

teggypimp95
06-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Just get some non oem break pads for it. You will no longer have a break dust problem. THis is the same for bmw, audi, ect.

mac_82
06-22-2006, 11:54 AM
does the 06 USDM STi have seat warmers? i can't remember...

anyways killer car, you should come out to the meet this weekend. :thumbsup:

benyl
06-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

I can't find them anywhere but at the stealership. According to the McGard fitment guide, I need 12 x 1.25 but Canadian Tire does not carry those. Neither did the Partsource I went to. Any other places carry them?

Try Contemporary motorsports.

Aren't they only $50 at the stealership? Cheap insurance for expensive wheels.

stevieo
06-22-2006, 03:22 PM
my god, i went out to test drive a wrx a few days ago, and im set on getting on. i can't imagine but to feel what the STi is like.

I may goto the states as it is better (price wise..) but i don' tknow how to deal with the mph gauge, im used to looking at the bigger numbers :D

Hollywood
06-22-2006, 03:27 PM
^^^

HID's are standard on American STi's too :D

When that STi limited comes out, I'm going to be sooooo tempted haha:bigpimp:

The sti limited looks like a sleeper for sure. I wonder with teh added wieght of the new amenitites how much slower it would be...

Nice deal on the STi man. Even used STi's are cheaper int he US.

gp36912
06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
i wanna test drive a sti :D great buy though. i was looking into either a sti or a s4 a little back :D

Pee_Sack
06-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
does the 06 USDM STi have seat warmers? i can't remember...

anyways killer car, you should come out to the meet this weekend. :thumbsup:

no they don't

ohh yeah and way good deal on the car, if I ever break down and buy an STi it will def be from the states.

mac_82
06-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack

no they don't

I know the 04/05's didn't wasn't sure if they changed em in 06 or not. Too bad about the seat warmers, rear seat pass-through, and a couple other small differences. The savings + HID's make up for it though.

max_boost
06-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by stevieo
my god, i went out to test drive a wrx a few days ago, and im set on getting on. i can't imagine but to feel what the STi is like.

I may goto the states as it is better (price wise..) but i don' tknow how to deal with the mph gauge, im used to looking at the bigger numbers :D You'll be fine with the guage. My impressions of the WRX was, WOW. hehe The perfect daily driver.

Anyway, you probably save around $6000 all said and done ($1500USD discount). $31k vs $37k. It's worth it IMO if you buyout the car. Otherwise if you have to finance it say, over 60 months at 6% (prime) vs 2.8% (promotional rate), then the savings are even less, around $3500.

Aleks
06-22-2006, 06:02 PM
ya this is part of the reason I got mine here. I financed. 2.8% FTW. WRX is an awsome daily driver, no need to shift. Drving downtown in 3rd i hardly change gears. Amazing torque I love it.

Sips a bit of gas though :)

You'll be fine with the guage. My impressions of the WRX was, WOW. hehe The perfect daily driver.

Anyway, you probably save around $6000 all said and done ($1500USD discount). $31k vs $37k. It's worth it IMO if you buyout the car. Otherwise if you have to finance it say, over 60 months at 6% (prime) vs 2.8% (promotional rate), then the savings are even less, around $3500.

xrayvsn
06-22-2006, 06:22 PM
The boost gauge illuminates at night. It is in MPa, instead of psi or kPa, but I know full boost is 14.6 psi or close enough to 1 bar = 1 kPa = 0.1 MPa. The only thing is it illuminates white, unlike the red of the STi cluster. It also impedes my view of the outside temp, but I have no idea what the Fahrenheit numbers mean anyway.

All 06 come with HIDs, even in Canada now. I have to make do without the Canadian STi seat warmers and the side mirror defrost. There is also no rear seat passthrough.

I plan on paying off the line of credit in the next year, so that the total capitalized cost on the car won't be too bad. Also, while a used STi would have saved me more, I was a touch leery of paying for a used car I have not laid eyes on. I still may do this in the future, but with the paperwork for importation already a little stressful, I did not want to add another thing in the equation that could go wrong for my first time importing a car.

I'll write up something more about it when I get a chance, since I had a few (minor) surprises along the way, despite all of my planning.

Zenshi
06-22-2006, 06:48 PM
So is it possible to import an old 2004/2005 STI from the states?

Like is it legal?

CRXguy
06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Zenshi
So is it possible to import an old 2004/2005 STI from the states?

Like is it legal?

Same process.

xrayvsn
06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Started editing the FAQ/import experience post. I'll add things as time allows. Sorry for taking so long to doing this, we are moving back to Calgary and things are a bit hectic for me.

xrayvsn
06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Updated FAQ. Please let me know if you want me to address anything specifically, and I'll try to answer it if I know.

xrayvsn
07-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Final update, I may do one more to add a photo of where you would look for the sticker that shows compliance to US safety standars, as well as the sticker showing date/place of manufacture. Hope it is useful for some of you.

lexis
08-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Great Info!

pinoyhero
08-25-2006, 05:17 PM
thanks very much for sharing your story, congrats on the car...im thinking of one next...

yiujun
08-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Hello I was just wondering how much taxes do you have to pay in the States at the dealer in Washington state?

I'm hoping to import a G35 sedan to Canada in the next year or so.. the price in the States is around 9k less than Canada!

Does anyone know if Infiniti will honour the warranty in Canada?

Thanks in advance!

xrayvsn
08-31-2006, 08:04 AM
No State Tax if you're not a Washington Resident. Joe Spitz had me bring some utility bills to prove that I am an Alberta resident.

As for the warranty issue, send an e-mail or letter to Infiniti and find out. You could probably also call them, but I like things in writing.

Edit: added the State tax question to the FAQ

mekeni
08-31-2006, 08:23 AM
have fun and make it safe !!! :thumbsup:

so how fast did you drive your car from seattle, since its brand new you shouldn't go over a certain speed?

xrayvsn
08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
There is no limit on the speed, but they say to keep it under 4000rpm. For the first few hundred miles, i took a lot of exits off the interstate so I could vary the engine speed. I also let the car engine brake down to a slower speed then did part throttle acceleration to the speed limit when the coast was clear. I did not do any WOT pulls in 5th or 6th gear :D

I drove it very conservatively since I was with my son. I also didn't want the hassles of being pulled over with a temp "in transit" permit in a car that wasn't completely legally imported and registered..

Weapon_R
08-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Just a little headsup for those who do not want to fly there and drive it back. Searail will ship the car from Seattle to Calgary for $600 and do all of your customs work for you. I think this is a great deal and its good if you don't have a lot of time.

benyl
08-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Hard Break in is better. hehe

nadroj23
08-31-2006, 11:34 AM
wow cant believe this was just thinking of importing one from the US cause they are that much cheaper this is a good thread :D. one question you said you didnt pay state tax? that the same as tax exempt? cause i have grandparents just outside of Seattle in Tacoma and i havent paid tax on anything there like clothes and shit food yes but clothes and stuff no so just wondering if that is the same cause then i wont hesitate to buy from a dealer....

Eride
08-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Anay suggestions on purchasing a car with a lein on it? Lookin at an 04 Subaru from Chicago and the car curently has a lein. I would prefer to send the seller a deposit to hold the car and then pay him the total price with a money order in person rather then sending him the whole ammount before hand? Any suggestions on how to procede would be really appreicated.

Thanks a bunch

benyl
08-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Find another car.

Eride
08-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Well thats not super helpful, I can have my institution wire transfer the funds to his institution and then they can change the title to my name? Thats one option I believe, I dont really want to find another car as this one is exactly what I have been looking for.

benyl
08-31-2006, 02:20 PM
I said that because I wouldn't screw around with cross boarder liens.

You could drive down for a vacation in the states and have your car impounded or repossesed.

Get the guy to clear the title before you send him any money.

Buyer beware.

Eride
08-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks, I really do want to be careful. I called his bank and they said one thing they can do is to set it up so that when I fly down there we go together to the bank, give them the cheque they drop the lein and give me the documents. I then go with the seller to the dmv to transfer regestration, we do a bill of sale, transfer cash and the vehicle is legally mine, I can then cross the boarder without worrying about the lein coming into play? This seems the safest way to me, as long as I don't have to wait for 5 days in Chicago waiting for the lein documents. Any other input is welcome.

Hollywood
09-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Eride
Thanks, I really do want to be careful. I called his bank and they said one thing they can do is to set it up so that when I fly down there we go together to the bank, give them the cheque they drop the lein and give me the documents. I then go with the seller to the dmv to transfer regestration, we do a bill of sale, transfer cash and the vehicle is legally mine, I can then cross the boarder without worrying about the lein coming into play? This seems the safest way to me, as long as I don't have to wait for 5 days in Chicago waiting for the lein documents. Any other input is welcome.

Yup, you can pay the bank directly and not the person. Just have to be careful that the "original title" is able to be in your hands in that short of time. It can take 1 day to 3 weeks to get depending on the institution and state you are in.

But Benyl is right it is much easier to deal with someone without the loan just due to the original title proccessing.

Eride
09-01-2006, 09:18 PM
So here is my dilemma, I have arranged with the seller and his bank to meet in person and transfer the title and lein over to my name at the local branch in Chicago. They can have the title on hand for me and give it to me as soon as the lein is paid off. My problem is this, I understand that I need to go to the DMV for an export permet and get my in transit registration, I also understand that this will be good for me as long as I am in the states. My problem is what about when I cross the border? I need to have temporary Alberta registration on the vehhicle to get it from the crossing home? Any suggestions on how I would do this? I can't pre purchase the registration as I will not have the bill of sale until I am down in Chicago. Any help would be awesome!

Also when I cross at the border do I need to do so during regular buisness hours? Or if I drive straight from Chicago and hit the border at say 8:00pm will they be open to process the export? Thanks for the assisitance guys, hoping someone can help shed a little light for me. (I have already read Jamiez Import thread and need a little more clairification)

xrayvsn
09-02-2006, 09:22 AM
As far as the border goes, you will need to cross during business hours. I'm sure I put that on my FAQ, but I will add it if I didn't. Not entirely sure what you can do about the Alberta "in-transit" permit though.

Eride
09-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Just talked to RIV and they said that you don't need to cross during buisness hours anytime will work as long as the border is open is fine. As for the recall clearance letter it is not needed at the time of crossing but just for the fedeal inspection within 45 days of import. Flying out monday to grab my new Suby! :eek:

xrayvsn
09-05-2006, 02:03 PM
RIV is wrong. While you can cross the Canadian side at any time, you have to cross the US border when the US export office is open or they can't stamp your MSO as exported. This means that you will not be able to fill out your RIV Form 1, and you WILL be stuck at the border until the export office opens.

The Canadian side doesn't care when you cross, as long as you pay your RIV fee, duty and taxes. Perhaps the question to ask RIV would be, "can I cross the border with my car if I don't have the MSO/title stamped as exported?" rather than "Do I have to cross the border during business hours?"

Subtle but very important difference there.

Eride
09-05-2006, 02:07 PM
ahhh thanks for the clarification. Will cross between 9 and 5. :thumbsup: Will have to cross at the Portal crossing in Sk, thats ok right?

Weapon_R
09-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Eride
So here is my dilemma, I have arranged with the seller and his bank to meet in person and transfer the title and lein over to my name at the local branch in Chicago. They can have the title on hand for me and give it to me as soon as the lein is paid off. My problem is this, I understand that I need to go to the DMV for an export permet and get my in transit registration, I also understand that this will be good for me as long as I am in the states. My problem is what about when I cross the border? I need to have temporary Alberta registration on the vehhicle to get it from the crossing home? Any suggestions on how I would do this? I can't pre purchase the registration as I will not have the bill of sale until I am down in Chicago. Any help would be awesome!

Also when I cross at the border do I need to do so during regular buisness hours? Or if I drive straight from Chicago and hit the border at say 8:00pm will they be open to process the export? Thanks for the assisitance guys, hoping someone can help shed a little light for me. (I have already read Jamiez Import thread and need a little more clairification)

Before you leave, insure the vehicle and take your insurance slip to the registry. Give them the proof of insurance and they will give you an 'in-transit' pass that you can use for 7 days. This costs $24.57 and will give you the ability to drive in Alberta until you can get proper registration [after your OOP].

As for the border, you MUST travel during normal operating hours. I would not contact RIV about border information. If there is no one at the border to give you the proper stamps, you will be turned back and spend the night there while waiting for them to open again.

Chicago is a 2 day drive and you will arrive during the day if you leave early in the morning and drive for 10 hrs each day. You will probably not pass in Alberta unless you continue through N. Dakota and into Montana however. This is longer than going straight through saskatchewan and catching the TransCanada.

Eride
09-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Before you leave, insure the vehicle and take your insurance slip to the registry. Give them the proof of insurance and they will give you an 'in-transit' pass that you can use for 7 days. This costs $24.57 and will give you the ability to drive in Alberta until you can get proper registration [after your OOP].

I am pretty sure you cannot get an in transit without a bill of sale. Insurance isn't an issue, but the bill of sale will be as I will not have it until I am down in Chicago.

My plan is to leave Chicago by 4:00pm on Monday and drive straight through to the SK border. I am flying a friend of mine down with me to share the driving. That will put me at the SK crossing around 11:00 or so on Tuesday morning.

Eride
09-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Update,

Flying out Thursday morning, will be picking up the car and bringing it back across the border in North Portal Friday. Customs has the paperwork and when I talked to them yesterday they had it processed and were ready for me. If you will be crossing at North Portal you need to send them the paperwork and not to Whitelash their fax # is 701-926-3931 and their phone number is 701-926-4241. I'll update when I get home!

benyl
09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Just remember... HARD break in.

xrayvsn
09-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I think his car was broken in 2 years ago, unless he got a 2004 with less than 1000 miles on the clock.

Also, don't listen to Benyl or you'll end up breaking your car ;) J/K

Benyl, am I ever going to check out the exhaust and suspension on your car, or are you just mocking me? How will I make an informed first modding decision without subjective butt-dyno data?

Eride
09-12-2006, 10:40 PM
haha yeah an 04 with only 5000 miles on the clock. will drve it pretty good no worries about that.

:burnout:

Eride
09-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Well got back lastnight after a grueling 26 hour drive. Had a few slightly major bumps along the road, #1 having the bank loose the original title to the car..... Oh man what a headache that was, and then getting to the border and them not being able to find the vehicle complaiance lable on the car.

But all in all got it done, and love it, a 2004 WRB Sti with 5000 miles on it. HAs the v-limited front spoiler as well as the JDM Fog's. What a mean machine man! Can't wait to meet up with some of the other Suby fans out there.

Erik

xrayvsn
09-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Congrats! Hope this thread helped you a bit. Is the car regsitered in Alberta yet? If not, read the last part of my FAQ, or PM me.

If you have a digital camera, take a picture of the location of the compliance label and post it up, I have yet to buy a camera so I can't do this. I am sure other people will want to know where this is so as to make their own import process smoother. Joe Spitz at Carter Subaru showed me where it was when I picked up the car, since he sells a lot of cars to Canadians. I did not end up having to show it to anyone at the border, since I came prepared with the info they needed (ie. the date and place of manufacture).

k98303
09-16-2006, 10:45 PM
congrat!
im so jealous

Eride
09-17-2006, 09:29 AM
This thread helped a lot! I can't cont how many times I kept checking back to make sure I had all my ducks in a row. I am making an appointment for Monday morning to have my OOP done, I will then take the form one, the bill of sale, and the proof of insurance, along with the OOP and see if I can get the car registered. If I could do it without getting DRL installed it would be amazing. Any tips at all?

Eride
09-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Had the DRL's intalled by All Makes Auto just off 32nd, did a great job, very professional for 1/3 the price the dealer quoted me. Also got my out of provence done and had the car offically registered today! WOOOOT!