PDA

View Full Version : Grocery store that sells sashimi?

hussein
06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Hey does anyone know of any grocery stores here that sell sashimi?

Or even any restaurants that sell it in bulk for me to eat at home?

Thanks.

liquidboi69
06-22-2006, 12:16 AM
uhh what kind of sashimi.. cuz honestly u can just buy a whole salmon.. and just cut it >_>

Otherwise, T&T has some i believe by their bakery/sushi sections :thumbsup:

WWJAI
06-22-2006, 12:19 AM
i always wondered..for the ones at tnt..do you just open the package and eat them or do you have to do a cleansing process on those sashimi before you eat them?

hussein
06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
It is safe to just buy raw salmon and cut it up? Is that what they do at restaurants? :confused:

06-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by WWJAI
i always wondered..for the ones at tnt..do you just open the package and eat them or do you have to do a cleansing process on those sashimi before you eat them?

You just eat them. :thumbsup:

Eken9
06-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by WWJAI

Pretty sure they go through the whole cleansing process. I've been buying sashimi from T&T for quite a while now and i've never gotten sick.

For the OP hussein, no it's not safe to buy raw salmon from IE, Superstore and eat it. You'll have to deep freeze the salmon, then let it de-frost. I find salmon from Superstore bad quality. The label will say it's boneless, but you'll still get damn fish bones. Never had a problem with T&T:thumbsup:

06-22-2006, 12:49 AM
^^
the way i read his post i assumed he meant the ones pre-packaged @ t&t

szw
06-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Salmon bought at the supermarket should be frozen for about a week if you want to eat it raw. This kills parasites.

You should start with as fresh a cut of salmon as possible.

hussein
06-22-2006, 12:57 AM
What/where is T&T?

A2VR6
06-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by hussein
What/where is T&T?

T&T is an asian supermarket just off 36th street and between 8th and 12th ave in the Northeast. It's basically in Franklin Mall.

KoukiS14
06-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by szw
Salmon bought at the supermarket should be frozen for about a week if you want to eat it raw. This kills parasites.

You should start with as fresh a cut of salmon as possible.

:werd:

Thats how ive had it as well

B17a
06-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Isn't real sashimi or sushi grade salmon, flash frozen right after its caught?

GQBalla
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
at sushi places your actually suppose to have the fish go through a 3 step process of being frozen - its gets frozen once, than into a not as cold freezer than so on -

clem24
06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
T&T also has a big deep freezer beside the "fresh" stuff with lots of frozen sashimi, like maguro and amaebi. You can also buy a big box of Hokkigai from the frozen seafood section.

Usually costco has really good quality fish. As people state, just freeze it for a bit and then eat it. And make sure you don't eat fresh water fish as sashimi (i.e. trout or anything else that comes from a lake or river). They're full of parasites.

City fish apparently is where all the sushi restaurants get their fish. Anyone been there?

hussein
06-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Cool. I have been to T&T last year but thought they only sold the sushi rolls.
Anyway, I went there today and bought alot. So it is what I will be eating today/tomorrow. :)

Thanks!

TC2002
06-22-2006, 02:35 PM
T&T also has cheaper sushi on sale after a certain time. I think it's after 6pm or something (can someone confirm the time?). They try to get rid of their stock every day.

gp36912
06-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by hussein
It is safe to just buy raw salmon and cut it up? Is that what they do at restaurants? :confused:

if they get it from seafood dealers like billingsgate etc. thats what ive been doing, buy a whole fish, have them fillet and descale it. and cut it up into quarters or 8ths and they vacumn seal it, so i can stick it into my freezer, for a week before i open up a pack to eat, the rest usualy sit in the freezer for quite abit, lol. been doing this for 5 years and running, and havn't gotten sick at all, noone in my family has gotten sick from it

Weapon_R
06-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Where can I get rolls without going to a restaurant for them?

hussein
06-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Safeway has them, but I preferred the ones I bought from T&T today muuuuch more.

I am just kind of weary to do the salmon thing, even though I love it!

szw
06-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
T&T, superstore has some also.

In general these rolls are not very good.

muse017
06-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Go to korean grocery store on 11th ave, 11th st SW.
It's called "Arirang Oriental food store.
They have some frozen sashimi like salmon, toro, Unagi, etc.

dj_rice
06-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

T&T is an asian supermarket just off 36th street and between 8th and 12th ave in the Northeast. It's basically in Franklin Mall.

Ummmmmm no..its not Franklin Mall anymore....its called Pacific Place...get with the times man :rofl:

A2VR6
06-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Ummmmmm no..its not Franklin Mall anymore....its called Pacific Place...get with the times man :rofl:

Aww fuck... you see, thats what happens when you avoid NE like the plague! Hell I remember that place when Consumers Distributing was still around.

clem24
06-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

If you want cheap and decent sushi, try Osaka Sushi (http://www.osakasushihouse.com). You get what you pay for. It's decent, but it's not the most amazing stuff. However, it blows the pants off of any of that pre-packaged stuff from Safeway or Superstore. Heck, it's way beyond the disgusting shitshi from T&T (one word - DRY and FISHY).

Osaka has really decent sashimi and nigiri sushi, and so so rolls. I actually even prefer it to some Japanese restaurants (like Wasabi). It's located in the strip mall right across from Peter's.

hussein
06-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by clem24

If you want cheap and decent sushi, try Osaka Sushi (http://www.osakasushihouse.com). You get what you pay for. It's decent, but it's not the most amazing stuff. However, it blows the pants off of any of that pre-packaged stuff from Safeway or Superstore. Heck, it's way beyond the disgusting shitshi from T&T (one word - DRY and FISHY).

Osaka has really decent sashimi and nigiri sushi, and so so rolls. I actually even prefer it to some Japanese restaurants (like Wasabi). It's located in the strip mall right across from Peter's.

I have been there a few times, the service is awesome, VERY friendly poeple, even remembered me when I went back. Also nice and clean enviorment to eat in.

sexualbanana
06-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Aww fuck... you see, thats what happens when you avoid NE like the plague! Hell I remember that place when Consumers Distributing was still around.

Yeah.... Fucking Consumers!!

dj_rice
06-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Yeah.... Fucking Consumers!!

BAHAHAHAHAH I bought my very first badminton racket from them...go CARLTON!!! :rofl: :rofl: