PDA

View Full Version : East Indian in a food court downtown?

phreezee
06-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Yesterday I was at the Koryo on 5th and 5th downtown and saw some guys with naan, butter chicken etc in a similar to Koryo takeout container. I should've just ask those guys where they got it, but I chickened out. lol It must have been close to there cause why else would they eat it in that food court?

Anybody know where to get food court style East Indian for lunch downtown?

bigboom
06-22-2006, 01:38 PM
i know they are opening something in gulf canada square...called the copper chimney or something but i dont think its open yet.

Fivewayradio
06-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Glory of India has takeout buffet.

kevie88
06-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Fivewayradio
Glory of India has takeout buffet.

and it absolutely RULES! haha great food! :thumbsup:

5abi
06-22-2006, 03:16 PM
ewww I'LL never goto glory again...

i went for theri buffet at lunch..they use their old tandoori chicken to make the butter chicken, u could stil see the red masala on it..

atleast wash it off...that wuz sick.

B17a
06-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Oh soo good though!

A bit off topic, but if anyone has ever been to Toronto, there's a place on Queen Street called Ghandi's. My God! They have a butter chicken roti that is unbelievable!!:drool:

kevie88
06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 5abi
ewww I'LL never goto glory again...

i went for theri buffet at lunch..they use their old tandoori chicken to make the butter chicken, u could stil see the red masala on it..

atleast wash it off...that wuz sick.

dude, butter chicken is supposed to be made with tandoori chicken!

5abi
06-22-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm Punjabi, fully...butter chicken is part of me. haha.

Butter chicken can be called a type of tandoori chicken, but it is not made from the "red" type of tandoori chicken that is just WRONG.
Plus butter chicken should be made of chicken breast, and the tandoori chickent hey use is dark meat.

/////AMG
06-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Mango Shiva by TD Square has some good food.

B17a
06-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Mango Shiva by TD Square has some good food.

I was not impressed with their lunch buffett. Weak sauce compared to Glory of India.

nismodrifter
06-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Butter chicken at all the restaurants is shit IMO.

They toss a bunch of chicken into a bunch of sauce and call it butter chicken. The goras go yum yum but I think it's bullshit.

Home cooked > all.

It's good to be brown :D

aram1000
06-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Butter chicken at all the restaurants is shit IMO.

They toss a bunch of chicken into a bunch of sauce and call it butter chicken. The goras go yum yum but I think it's bullshit.

Home cooked > all.

It's good to be brown :D

agreed, I have yet to have butter chicken from a restraunt that tops my mom's

maximus5502
06-22-2006, 05:31 PM
there is a newer indian resteraunt in sun life plaza call "Chutney"

l8braker
06-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Oh soo good though!

A bit off topic, but if anyone has ever been to Toronto, there's a place on Queen Street called Ghandi's. My God! They have a butter chicken roti that is unbelievable!!:drool:

Hey B17a, never thought i'd hear about Ghandi's here!! That place rocks and is right near my Aunt's house down there.. I didn't want to come home after eating there :drool: :drool: :drool:

EK 2.0
06-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
and it absolutely RULES! haha great food! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by kevie88
dude, butter chicken is supposed to be made with tandoori chicken!

man Kev, you are the most apna white guy I know...haha

nismodrifter
06-22-2006, 07:55 PM
I dunno dood...kona9 is up there too and he IS an "honorary" apna.

Traffic_Cop
06-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Doesn't the Taj Mahal on Macleod Tr still offer good take-out??....Im originally from England and pratically grew-up on Indian food......Taj Mahal was best in Calgary.

sputnik
06-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by maximus5502
there is a newer indian resteraunt in sun life plaza call "Chutney"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chutney in Sunlife Plaza was kinda weak when they first opened. But they have gotten MUCH better. They have even increased they level of spice in their buffet.

$11 for take out buffet is well worth it.

B17a
06-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by l8braker

Hey B17a, never thought i'd hear about Ghandi's here!! That place rocks and is right near my Aunt's house down there.. I didn't want to come home after eating there :drool: :drool: :drool:

My buddy took me there last time I was in TO. That butter chicken roti is so damn good I had dreams about it for a month afterwards! I know where I'm going next time I'm here. The only problem is you smell like the kitchen if you sit around in there and eat.

EK 2.0
06-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I dunno dood...kona9 is up there too and he IS an "honorary" apna.

agreed...but have you seen Kevin's Soni Kuri??...lol;)

Si_FlyGuy
06-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Yesterday I was at the Koryo on 5th and 5th downtown and saw some guys with naan, butter chicken etc in a similar to Koryo takeout container. I should've just ask those guys where they got it, but I chickened out. lol It must have been close to there cause why else would they eat it in that food court?

I probably saw the same guys in front of Koryo today and I was wondering the same thing too! Maybe next time I'll ask them.

I think that Maurya's got the best naan, but Glory of India's the spiciest...drool.

sputnik
06-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

I probably saw the same guys in front of Koryo today and I was wondering the same thing too! Maybe next time I'll ask them.

I think that Maurya's got the best naan, but Glory of India's the spiciest...drool.

Glory of India? Spicy?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5hift
06-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Glory of India? Spicy?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you order actual plates they can be spicy because they are made to taste. If you go for the buffet, keep in mind your eating mass produced food that was made with the bland tastes of the general public in mind.

sputnik
06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
If you order actual plates they can be spicy because they are made to taste. If you go for the buffet, keep in mind your eating mass produced food that was made with the bland tastes of the general public in mind.

Obviously. But if you actually read the initial post he was looking for somewhere to eat during lunch.

There are very few Indian restaurants that arent a buffet at lunch (especially downtown). Glory of India is one of the worst IMO.

Si_FlyGuy
06-27-2006, 12:52 PM
^ i grew up in south east asia, you grew up in winnipeg...it explains our difference opinions when it comes to East Indian food. No biggie;).

Just got takeout from Glory of India - $9.49 tax in. Filled it up with Beef Madras, Butter Chicken, and Naan....:-)

Das_Amaretto
06-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Indian Fast Food??? Yea Right....

More likely, as brown ppl usu do, they were out shopping, and to save a couple bux, they bought their own 'snacks' !!

Originally posted by phreezee

str8jkt
07-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Isn't there a place in the Eau Claire food court that has takeout indian food?

doublepostwhore
07-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Sputnik when Chutney's first opened they were missing their Head chef, I cant remeber his name right now, however he had a eath int he family and went back to kerala for a few months, then he came back to canada.

+1 For glory of india.