PDA

View Full Version : Future Product Service Plan Question

Diesel2005
06-22-2006, 05:51 PM
I just wanted to know if anyone on this forum is familar with the futureshop product service plan ( psp )? I bought a laptop like 2 months ago and decided to pay extra for the psp. So the day has finally come to use this, since the hinges broke on my laptop. So do i get a new laptop or will they fix it? Futureshop doesn't carry the laptop I have right now so do I get credit to another laptop that is worth the same value?

How does the psp work for laptops?
Post your experience if you have this happen to you.

7thgenvic
06-22-2006, 05:56 PM
try the search button, there have been previous threads about this topic!

TEAMFaint
06-22-2006, 05:59 PM
How about this. Call the store and ask them? :closed:

gp36912
06-22-2006, 06:06 PM
they should have a customer service number, they should knoe exactly what is going to happen

Crymson
06-22-2006, 06:12 PM
I bought a laptop about a month ago and bought the PSP.

The way it was described to me, was if they can't fix it, or get a new part -- they replace it, with and equivalent model. So you'll likely get a new laptop if they can't find a new screen and top part. Take it in, show them, but if you did drop the laptop or something like that, don't lie and be a tool about it.

However, physical damage, you may have to plead your case a bit. Stuff like broken hinges they may be able to say you dropped it or kicked it, or something.

gp36912
06-22-2006, 06:14 PM
^^^ i doubt they would replace a new screen. a screen on a laptop costs quite abit. unless you bought one of those $3000 laptops, i doubt they would get you a new screen

HyperZell
06-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Go through the manufacturer first. They often give you less trouble and are faster, plus you should still have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty if the laptop is only 2 months old.

Crymson
06-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Don't go throug the manufacturer, that's the point of buying the futurshop warrantee.

You walk in, say "i bought this 2 months ago, look at it -- here is my service plan".

eljefe
06-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Could be wrong but I think the future shop warranty kicks in after the manufacturers warranty period

Eken9
06-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by eljefe
Could be wrong but I think the future shop warranty kicks in after the manufacturers warranty period

Nope, you're correct.

HyperZell
06-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Don't go throug the manufacturer, that's the point of buying the futurshop warrantee.

You walk in, say "i bought this 2 months ago, look at it -- here is my service plan".

If it's a big item like a laptop, and the screen/hinges are gone, then they need to ship it off to their warehouse in BC. This takes longer on average, and is not as airtight as going through the manufacturer. Whoever made the laptop has a dedicated service facility, with the correct parts on hand for sure - the point of the FS warranty is to take care of your item after the original warranty runs out.

Originally posted by Eken9

Nope, you're correct.

I don't think so...they run concurrently.

EDIT: wait, I think it depends. I can't really remember about the regular warranty, but the 'replacement plan' is in effect right away. That's for items under $200, I believe...if it breaks, you get a new one.

wildrice
06-22-2006, 09:26 PM
The service plan replaces the manufacteurs warranty and starts right from the date of purchase.

They will ship your laptop off to the repair depot in bc. You won't get a new laptop unless it comes back from the repair depot and they determine it's unrepairable or too costly to fix.

gp36912
06-22-2006, 10:56 PM
^^^ actually what they do is phone the manufacturer and if they don't warrenty it, then fs would.

wildrice
06-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by gp36912
^^^ actually what they do is phone the manufacturer and if they don't warrenty it, then fs would.

Actually, no they don't. They wouldn't waste their time w/ that.

LittleAngel
06-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Eken9

Nope, you're correct.

no, that is wrong. it over laps the manufacture warranty. Only on apple products or atleast ipod they go through manuf. first. everything else over laps.

the point of the service plan is cuz a manu. wont cover half the things futureshop would

as for the laptop, if they cant fix it, they will replace it. but carful with that. once they repalce it. there goes your service plan out the window... the service plan is only good for the product that you purchased, not for what they give you in exchange.....

wildrice
06-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by LittleAngel

as for the laptop, if they cant fix it, they will replace it. but carful with that. once they repalce it. there goes your service plan out the window... the service plan is only good for the product that you purchased, not for what they give you in exchange.....

However if your laptop comes back from the repair depot and is deemed unrepairable. the service plan will transfer onto your new laptop if it's within the first year.

LittleAngel
06-22-2006, 11:17 PM
oh, just noticed its only been 2 months that he's had it. thanks for clairifing,.

PaleRider
06-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Crymson

Futureshop in the first year send it back to manufacturer anyways.

Anyways prepare to be without a laptop for awhile.

rinny
06-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Manufacturer's are always quicker than FS to get stuff back as far as laptop fixes. Yes since its under a year, you bring it in and they will take care of it as far as sending it to the manufacturer. They can do this if its HP/Gateway/Emachine.

Toshiba- take it to london drugs with proof of purchase, will be quicker as LD is Toshiba authorized repair, whereas FS will have to send through depot in BC which will take weeks.

In the first year i'd like to think that PSP on laptop only covers the 60 day policy or the no lemon idea, other than that the manufacturer covers everything else.

As far as getting a new one, almost always, you will not get a new one within a year. Manufacturer almost always fixes it, and after that, then the chances of getting exch'd increase.

PM me if you have any other Q's.

gp36912
06-24-2006, 04:49 PM
^^^ yup pretty much.

wild.... i worked at bb for abit, i should know what they do

Ashkente
06-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Who makes it? Toshiba and HP will be fast through the manufacturer, but FS WILL send it to them in the first year. It may take longer due to shipping delays though.