PDA

View Full Version : Laptop suggestions?

LuxCars
06-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey just needed an expert opinion and user opinions on the laptops out right now. If you have a suggestion on which company i should be looking at please let me know.

or if you know a specific laptop i should look at, please let me know.

i would prefer to hear from those who have had experiences with laptops.

So far im leaning towards dell as a company and the inspiron 6400 or inspiron 640M. If you think i should buy one of these or if you think i shouldnt buy one of these please let me know.

my limit(tax in, and maybe about a 100 dollars worth of upgrades) is 1300.

thanks.

LS Cammer
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
There are lots in your price range. I know a lot of people that like Toshiba. They seem to provide a pretty good deal.

tigerdirect.ca is a good place to look at some options too.

Otherwise, for $1300 you can get a fairly decent laptop at London Drugs really. Look for sales in flyers and you'll see what you can get in your range. For the money you want to spend you'll get a pretty good one.

HyperZell
06-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Don't get Dell. Just don't. I've explained myself several times regarding this viewpoint, and I don't feel like doing it again. Just try to see what else is out there...

M_K_3
06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
if u can deal with apple do it... if not dell is great

eblend
06-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Dude whoever says dell is great never had a dell. DON'T get a dell PERIOD!

Toshiba IBM are good brande, ThinkPads are fantastic for durability. Toshiba is also good. HP Compaqs can't be repaired locally if shit hits the fan so I don't recommend those.

M_K_3
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
umm i had like 6 dells lol...... and i had apple i had everything so :english:

USED1
06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm using a Dell laptop as a work computer right now and have absolutely no problems with it. If you have problems why don't you explain them so that the OP can make an informed decision.

CasperWho
06-23-2006, 02:12 PM
toshiba :thumbsup:
sony :thumbsup:

eblend
06-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I won't chime in whats wrong with Dell, enough people will come on here to tell you the same thing. Dell = lowest common denominator in the computer industry. I work as a tech so I have a good idea :drama:

sexualbanana
06-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by CasperWho
toshiba :thumbsup:
sony :thumbsup:

I have an older Sony Vaio (approx 4 years old), and I found my computer was taking forever to boot and was really slow in general (compared to what it used to be I think). I thought I'd just overloaded a bunch of useless random crap on the computer, so I reformatted only to have it still occuring. It seems that the Sony loaded up a bunch of random programs to go with Windows, which is a total pain in the ass.

AJL
06-23-2006, 05:59 PM
I would go with Lenovo, HP/Compaq or Apple.

keep in mind with HP/Compaq I recomend clearing the hard drive completely and reinstalling a fresh version of windows. HP loads so much extra un-needed software on, but they are good machines.

natejj
06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
What are you using it for?

Macbook ftw!

LuxCars
06-23-2006, 06:07 PM
^^^

well im a student going into engineering at the U of C. But i would like it to be fairly fast in imaging and for games and programs....as well as dvd's, music.

ive heard nothing but good things about dell until i read these comments, im actually quite surprised to hear about them.

has anyone ever heard of AVERATEC? i guess they are new and my friend bought one from there.

i know for sure im not getting an HP/COMPAQ because i am very turned away by the way they make all their other products(...cameras...).

Ive thought about toshiba but they dont specialize in computers...thats why i was leaning towards a dell.

I would like to get an apple but they are $$$, and not in my range.

sea of ash
06-23-2006, 10:23 PM
apples arent that expensive man.
im going into engineering at u of c next year and im getting a macbook from the apple website.
if you put in your u of c student id on the apple website, you get a $100 discount from the macbook, and i'm getting the 2.0 ghz one which is $1349 or something, PLUS u get a free ipod nano with the purchase of a laptop:thumbsup:

gp36912
06-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by AJL
I would go with Lenovo, HP/Compaq or Apple.

keep in mind with HP/Compaq I recomend clearing the hard drive completely and reinstalling a fresh version of windows. HP loads so much extra un-needed software on, but they are good machines.

^^^ lol you can always uninstall, i have a hp computer and it is quick as hell, considering it is a 4200 athlon 64 dual core but still, uninstall, and then msconfig it :D works fine for me

dragonone
06-25-2006, 04:07 PM
uninstall leaves a lot of crap behind, like dll's and such
best to format, install necessary drivers, than tailor xp to ur liking

if you ask me, i'd get the inspiron 6400
1gb ram, dual core, dvd burner, 6-80gb hd, x1300 graphics (decent) for your price range
don't ask me about warranty on this thing tho, i've never had a problem with it, and ppl can go on about their horror stories which don't concern me or my purchase at all (since i've been happy with them)

for ur price range you're not gonna get anything that can game or do graphics professionally
that older ferrari one comes with an x700 and is only 15xx+tax

snade831
06-25-2006, 10:36 PM
+1 for mac :thumbsup:

Lexxan
06-25-2006, 10:51 PM
he wants to play games... he might as well scrap the mac if he's out to get a good video card.

aklalani
06-25-2006, 11:00 PM
i bought an hp entertainment notebook in september. its is absolutely awesome, other than the lousy batterylife which can be fixed by purchasing a 12cell off of ebay!!

clem24
06-26-2006, 10:41 AM
+1 for Toshiba (I think they have a single core centrino with Sata going for $999).
-1 for HP (my nc8000 is not configured very logically, volume buttons are FRAGILE - broken twice now).
+1 for Acer. They have really nice laptops, but their batteries are a hit and miss. sometimes you get good, sometimes bad.
+1 for *some* Dells. Some are POS. My wife's 700m is awesome, and that was bought used.

+1 for service from Dell, HP, and Acer. No comment on Toshiba since I haven't experienced it yet (their laptops don't really break!!).

Turnaround for HP service was only 3 days. As in Day 1, I sent it purolator to Ontario, Day 3 I got it back. Dell was similar (4 days).

Also, I think Toshiba only warrants for 1 year, while my HP is warranted for 3 years I think.

The reason why I don't actually state specs is b/c all manufacturers pretty much have the same specs. It all just comes down to how much you like the ergonomics, the screen, and most importantly, service.

Sprinter
07-04-2006, 09:14 AM
I myself have a Vaio and its working fine for me... but I heard tha t Fujitsu has some good laptops... Dell is alright, except if something goes wrong with it, you cant just go around the corner to get it fixed, gotta call Dell and deal with them (though I heard their service is pretty good)