PDA

View Full Version : Drove an Audi RS6 today

E36M3
07-12-2002, 06:08 PM
As a perk of working in the automotive industry, I sometimes stumble upon 'press fleet' vehicles for brief test drives. Today was definately one to remember. I was lucky enough to get the keys to (what I've been told is) the first Audi RS6 in North America. For those who don't know, it is a 450hp monster, barely distinguisable from an Audi A6 4.2 visually.

Built by the quattro Division of Audi (which was started recently in response to BMWs M group and Mercedes AMG division) the RS6 certainly gives the M5/E55 a ride for the money.

Brakes:

Brembo 8 piston, feel like the hand of God. I've got big Brembos on my car, and these ones feel equally as solid. The brake assist is perfect.

Handling:

More E55 than M5, it is agile, smooth and fast through corners. I obviously didn't have the opportunity to take it on a track, but it handled high speed sweepers VERY nicely.

Acceleration:

Fast as hell. I think that it is definately faster than the M5/E55. I haven't driven an E55, but it definately *felt* faster than an M5. I think that it could easily bury my M3 in most acceleration tests. I had heard that we should expect 0-60 times in the 5.0 second range, and I think they've done it. (With I had a GTech Pro)

Comfort:

Audi/VW has recently become what I think is the number one manufacturer in terms of fit/finish quality. I would definately say that the fit/finish is far better than most Benzes (save I would imagine the Maybach) and definately a step above current BMW 7s). The seats were wonderful, and the interior was really nice. Didn't have a chance to play with all the toys, but it has a barely adequate stereo (as do most expensive cars) and feels very german. Automatics piss me off, but the paddle shifter-type setup on the steering wheel was nice.

Like the E55, this car does not *need* a manual transmission, but it would sure be nice.

Anyway, look for complete reviews in the Car Magazines this month. The car recently debuted in Germany, but it has been confirmed for North America, and should be one hell of a barn stormer. Not sure if it is coming to Canada, but it would be one hell of an all-year-long supercar for Calgary

trendkill
07-12-2002, 06:14 PM
sounds like a killer car man,,, u are 1 luckey dude

Audi Kid
07-12-2002, 06:20 PM
guy.........wow. its like an allroad but with some nuts the size of cantalopes :hitit:

Fluidic
07-12-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by E36M3

Comfort:

Audi/VW has recently become what I think is the number one manufacturer in terms of fit/finish quality. I would definately say that the fit/finish is far better than most Benzes (save I would imagine the Maybach) and definately a step above current BMW 7s).
Like the E55, this car does not *need* a manual transmission, but it would sure be nice.

That's what I like to hear!! :D :D :angel:

LOL

Peace

Peter

Audi Kid
07-12-2002, 07:49 PM
he meant Audi not Volks :)

Fluidic
07-12-2002, 07:52 PM
Volkswagen is Audi dude! ;)

Fluidic
07-12-2002, 07:53 PM
and vice-versa...

Same goes with Porsche! :)

Peter

Audi Kid
07-12-2002, 07:54 PM
i know im just buggin you dub fiend heh

Fluidic
07-12-2002, 07:55 PM
HEHEHEHE... I love them` dubs! :D

Peter

Ben
07-12-2002, 08:06 PM
Damn nice to hear unbiased findings about your experience, being you own a BMW and all!

For the longest time I have idolized the RS4 and this RS6 sounds and looks meaner than ever!

Thats such an incredible car.

Ben
07-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Audi Kid
guy.........wow. its like an allroad but with some nuts the size of cantalopes :hitit:

Pending on the Model he drove.

The Alroad is based on the Avant Body Design, which is a fancy name for wagon.

He could have either drove the RS6 which is just a really horiffically mean sedan, or the RS6 Avant which is the wagon.

The RS6 has offically been deemed the fastest sedan on the planet, taking over BMW's very healthy position, coveted by the elusive M5.

http://galleries.wheels24.co.za/cars/Audi/RS6/images/13.jpg

I have some official info on them here:

Powered by a twin-turbocharged 4.2-litre V8 engine with 450bhp, refined by a new adaptive Dynamic Ride Control system and safely contained by quattro four-wheel-drive, the new Audi RS 6 quattro will combine rapidity with responsibility. The 0-62mph sprint can be covered in just 4.7 seconds (Avant 4.9 seconds), and 124mph can be achieved in an even more impressive 17.6 seconds (Avant 17.8 seconds). Top speed is electronically limited to 155mph.

The new Audi RS 6 quattro also features an unprecedented level of standard equipment. An Alcantara headlining and either carbon fibre or wood trim complement heated and leather upholstered Recaro sports seats, from which occupants can control a premium quality Bose sound system with CD autochanger and a standard fit satellite navigation system incorporating a television. Formula 1-style shift controls mounted on the perforated leather sports steering wheel allow the driver rapid access to the five ‘manual’ gears offered by the standard five-speed tiptronic automatic transmission, and parking is simplified by the standard front and rear Acoustic Parking System.

The only high performance saloon and estate models in their class to offer the major safety advantage of quattro four-wheel-drive have entered new realms of ride comfort and handling composure thanks to Dynamic Ride Control. The electronically governed, mechanical damping system monitors road conditions and cornering forces and continually adjusts the suspension characteristics to maintain exceptional balance in all situations, whilst maintaining a supple ride.

This outstanding control extends to braking, which is handled by race-honed, 8-piston front ventilated discs and single piston ventilated rear discs, backed by ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD).

4wheeldrift
07-13-2002, 07:02 AM
Where's that drooling smiley when you need it? :hitit:

nookmumracing
07-13-2002, 04:36 PM
I love that car. Did you take any pics. I know I've read up on it in the mags but when you actually see it in real life you appreciate it more. On one of the Gunball 3000 vids you see it up clost and driving, soo nice...

Peace

Ben
07-13-2002, 05:10 PM
I thought those were RS4's. 380HP

RS6 is brand new...

Hakkola
07-15-2002, 03:16 PM
New e55 amg is going to take that fastest sedan on the planet title when the new model comes out.

E36M3
07-15-2002, 06:29 PM
Wether the new E55 will be faster than the RS6 remains to be seen. I highly doubt, however, that it will be the fastest sedan in the world. From what I understand, the V10 M5 will be the car to beat, and will be quite a bit faster than the new E55.

In any case, everyone wins with this rivalry.. all three are amazing cars. If I were making the decision personally, I would go for the E55, just because I am starting to appreciate the convenience of an automatic a little bit more. Of course, if I had to give up the M3, I'd rather just get the M5.

E36M3
07-15-2002, 06:31 PM
One quick note-- it is *very* unfortunate, but Audi apparently is not bringing the Avant to North America.

I personally would love to have an M5/E55/RS6 wagon. There is something very sexy to me about being able to keep up with 99.9% of the cars on the road in a family hauler.

rage2
07-15-2002, 06:54 PM
Wether the new E55 will be faster than the RS6 remains to be seen. I highly doubt, however, that it will be the fastest sedan in the world. From what I understand, the V10 M5 will be the car to beat, and will be quite a bit faster than the new E55.

The new E55 will not be using the old 349hp 5.5L V8... it's using the new 479hp 5.5L S/C V8 from the SL 55 AMG (official and confirmed). The SL 55 AMG already beats a lot of supercars (Murceilago, F575M, etc.) from 0-300km/h. The E55 weighs less and is more aerodynamic than the SL 55 AMG and is already in testing. The E55 AMG will be available in late 2003 as a 2004 model.

The new BMW 5 series is still a big secret, no official word or specs from BMW yet. Rumors are a V10 with 500hp. The V10 version will most likely be badged as the M5, but the "hot" version to get is the twin turbo 3.0L Inline 6 that pumps out 380hp. That package is much lighter than the V10 version, highly tunable, and is a direct target against the RS6.

So Mercedes will hold the fastest sedan crown for at least a year, depending on how well the new V10 performs =).

2000impreza
07-15-2002, 07:00 PM
soooooo......... where do i sell one of my kidneys so i could get my hands on one of these cars :confused:

Ben
07-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
soooooo......... where do i sell one of my kidneys so i could get my hands on one of these cars :confused:

W3RD

E36M3
07-15-2002, 07:13 PM
I agree with Rage.. the lighter, 380hp version of the M5 would be a great thing. I've been a little upset with BMWs 'bigger=better' strategy with the M division. To be honest, my favorite BMWs are the E30 series M3s. They are light, exotic, quick, tossable and a ton of fun. They don't have 500hp, and they don't have every electronic gizmo known to man, and sure aren't luxury cars, but I have never had more fun in a car.

Then again, the same thing can be said for the Porsche 911. The new 911s feel like and behave like luxury cars (damn fast luxury cars, but luxury cars). Aside from the GT2, it is almost impossible to get in trouble in one. For anyone that has driven an old 911, there is some serious tweaking going on with the DNA.

Anyone else miss the 'true' sportscar? I think the closest thing to this formula today is probably the Lotus Elise. I saw one at E3, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to ride in/drive one. Man those cars look great.

Another car that I definately have my eye on is the Mini Cooper S. Fast, fun and incredibly agile. Kinda dorky looking though.

Ben
07-15-2002, 07:19 PM
My car is no sports car, nor fast, but It was built in a time when preople really wanted the feel of solid sure footed handling and at a reasonable price. Something about cars from that area and era...I dont care what anyone says about my car, its really fun to drive...

4wheeldrift
07-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Everybody always seem to think I'm insane when I say there are no "true" sports cars left. Finally someone else who agrees with me :) I was born about 30 years too late. I long for the days when sports cars were all about a pure driving experience. Maybe not the most powerful motors, but hard core suspensions tuned for hard use, fast and responsive steering, and most of all light. Most of the companies that used to produce the equipment of this nature (Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Porsche, but to name a few) seem to be more interested in building GTs than sports cars any more. There's a reason why the miata does so well for sales, and its because its one of the closest cars you can get to a "classic" sports car now a days, that won't cost you $30k in restoration (or $30k extra on the price tag for someone else to restore it for you)

rage2
07-15-2002, 08:24 PM
Then again, the same thing can be said for the Porsche 911. The new 911s feel like and behave like luxury cars (damn fast luxury cars, but luxury cars). Aside from the GT2, it is almost impossible to get in trouble in one. For anyone that has driven an old 911, there is some serious tweaking going on with the DNA.

Finally, someone that understands!!! When I can afford (and justify) it, I'll probably buy a 964 Turbo 3.6, the last of the true 911's. Learn how to REALLY drive by taking one of those to the limits on a roadcourse.

4wheeldrift
07-15-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Finally, someone that understands!!! When I can afford (and justify) it, I'll probably buy a 964 Turbo 3.6, the last of the true 911's. Learn how to REALLY drive by taking one of those to the limits on a roadcourse.

Planning on spending a lot of time backwards in the dry swamp are we? :D

rage2
07-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Planning on spending a lot of time backwards in the dry swamp are we? :D

I'm not THAT shitty a driver am I? :D

4wheeldrift
07-15-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I'm not THAT shitty a driver am I? :D

No, but the older 911's are notoriously twitchy cars at the limit

rage2
07-15-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
No, but the older 911's are notoriously twitchy cars at the limit

Yea, I've driven a few, that's why I want one... to master one of those cars, something I've always wanted to do.

Big_Six_Boy
07-16-2002, 01:58 AM
That's what I like to hear!!!
Yes, it's true the sports cars nowadays are more tuned for luxury than true performance. Sure, the performance is there, but they are still overly concerned with a luxurious drive (to appease the rich and unskilled). Myself, being a poor soul (not a high roller like Rage or E36M3), I've been very specific in deciding which cars I would buy/drive. To memory, the funnest experience I've had was in my '86 MR2. That car is truely the Poor Man's Sportscar!
I've also driven the 92+ MR2s, and those are great too!
Where else are you going to find a mid-engine, rear-drive, 2-seater, very-tunable machine for under $20,000??
I was actually looking into buying one this year, but the g/f persuaded me otherwise. I really like the E36 BMW I got because it's a great luxury/performance package. (I LOVE the fact that BMW made proper pedals for toe-heel shifting). The only thing I gripe about is the LACK of SIDE BOLSTER support and that dumb-ass FOUR-spoke steering wheel! 4-spoke steering wheels suck ASS!!! Even Porsche has figured this out and have made all the new 911's with 3-spokes (new Airbag technology, no doubt).

E36M3
07-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Big_Six_Boy
That's what I like to hear!!!
Yes, it's true the sports cars nowadays are more tuned for luxury than true performance. Sure, the performance is there, but they are still overly concerned with a luxurious drive (to appease the rich and unskilled).

I don't think that there is any question about the performance being there.. a new 911 will run rings over almost any Porsche ever made. In fact, a Boxster S will destroy virtually any 911 ever made on a track, including probably all of the 993s save the Turbos.

I totally understand what you mean though. Faster doesn't necessarily mean better. Low weight + sufficient power + great handling is a sure fire formula for a car you can truly enjoy.

I really like the E36 BMW I got because it's a great luxury/performance package. (I LOVE the fact that BMW made proper pedals for toe-heel shifting). The only thing I gripe about is the LACK of SIDE BOLSTER support and that dumb-ass FOUR-spoke steering wheel! 4-spoke steering wheels suck ASS!!! Even Porsche has figured this out and have made all the new 911's with 3-spokes (new Airbag technology, no doubt).

To deal with these and other grievances, BMW released the E36 M3. If the 'Vader' seats don't have enough bolstering for you, it is probably time for a formula car. As well, you can get all kinds of steering wheels, including very enthusiast friendly layouts.

I go out driving quite often with a couple friends with various german machinery, and it seems the newer they are, the more insulated they are from the actual joy of driving. The S4, for example, is fast, competent and an overall great car, but it is way too quiet and you almost miss the experience of going fast. I won't even get into the floaty suspension.. brings back memories of my dad's 1992 Pontiac Bonneville.