PDA

View Full Version : Need help from DIY car painters :D

BiG_BoI_LuDe
06-24-2006, 02:36 AM
alright.... so... the hood,front bumper,and headlight covers are white on my 90 Lude... and I was goin to bring it to Dan at Screamin Paint Works for the sand and spray for a grand... but then I kept thinking its got 300XXXK and the thing isn't worth to paint...bu I love this car and I cannot live with it being a 2 colored car... and after reading many posts here on beyond.. i decided to paint it my self... wasn;t looking at and super great job.. just do its one color... I have zero exprience and this it what i have done so far

Some notes
The hood has some minor dents and semi larged paint chips... no bigger the a diameter of 2-3Inches... so I sanded it all down with some 180 grit paper to get some of those scratched and what not out..... then primer.... will be using 400girt paper before the paint or possible 320grit...

so my question is.... when I sprayed it in certian spots randomly over the hood... I have little tiny circles of spots where the primer won't stick... Is that because I didn't sanded it down well in those areas?... so far I just sprayed more primer on those apot of an hour of frying to fill them up... adn they are covered but will it pop out in the future??? should I resand that area and reprimer it? or possible use bondo?

And can any recommed a proper sanding method? I used a sanding block and hand sand some parts... mainly the block on the flat surfaces....but no special technique..

Anyone with any pointers would be great... again... .not looking for great work here... just decent enough to get a normal look.. and figured i'd get some handskill in the autobody world.. :) once i get the hang of this I will atempt to fix the minor rust issues i have... Will try to post some pics up of the progress so you guys have a better look...

P.S. I'm using Tremclad rust primer... and tremclad rust paint...

h_s
06-24-2006, 03:16 AM
are you spray painting it?? sorry i didnt take the time to read that short novel youve got going on, but... i say make sure you thin your paint with reducer before you paint your car, my paint gun kept getting clogged with candy red duplicolor paint so i ended up roller painting the car (88 honda prelude), and WETSAND, it helps alot

theken
06-24-2006, 03:33 AM
primer wont stick cause you didnt clean the sanded area down with a paint prepping cleaner. there might be oil or something else on the body that needs to be cleaned off.

Supa Dexta
06-24-2006, 09:01 AM
just take some thinner and wipe the car down after sanding, before painting....

Cooked Rice
06-24-2006, 10:16 AM
For sanding I use a random orbit sander, which are like $35 from Canadian tire. I would go buy one and sand it down to bare metal. The reason your primer may not be sticking is A) contaminents on the surface, use a dupli color prep wipe or some other cleaner to it before painting. Or what I think it is...B) If it's not bare metal tremclad rust primer won't work well, as it's made for penetrating steel. Here's how I do it:
1) Sand down to bare metal using a orbital sander with 200 grit.
2) apply bondo to dents/deep scratches
3) sand smooth the bondo level with the metal
4) clean surface with dupli color prep wipe
5) prime with a quality filler primer, once again I prefer dupli color for everything, filler primer will get into small nicks/scratches and fill it up
6) let the primer flash
(make sure car is in garage, and wet the garage floor, so dust dosnt lift off the floor onto your wet paint, also close the door, and wear a respirator)
7) clean surface again
8) apply a light first coat of paint, it's important you go light, don't rush the paint job
9) wait an hour, I prefer 2 hours if you have time, don't touch the paint
8) run over the pain with a tack rag to remover any dust
9) apply another light 2nd coat
10) repeat steps 9-8
11) apply final 3rd coat
12) let the paint harden, this can take up to 3-5 days. It's important that you wait till it's fully hardened.
(after paint hardens/cures)
13) clean with prep wipe
14) apply clear coat, you can go a little bit heavier with clear coat than with normal paint especially if your paint job 'oranged peeled' meaning the texture dried like the surface of a orange
15) allow clear coat to cure, about 5 days
16) if your paint orange peeled, wet sand by hand with 2000 grit or higher
17) apply clear coat again
16) allow clear coat to cure, about 5 days
17) now your done

BiG_BoI_LuDe
06-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks alot guys... will take the time and give it a try... i have a spare hood to use till its done ... :thumbsup: