PDA

View Full Version : Insurance on a Mercedes

gstq
06-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Eh,

I'll be driving real soon as a "new driver". I'll be buying either a 1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E or a 1989 Mercedes-Benz 500SL as my first car in a few months. Am I totally fucked for insurance? How much do you guys think I'll be paying? It's pretty obvious that for a luxury car it's going to be a bit pricey, but can you guys give me some estimates?

Thanks.

Weapon_R
06-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Not at all. Older cars like that won't be too bad to insure and you probably will find that they are pretty similar across the board, regardless of the automobile.

adam c
06-25-2006, 02:26 AM
toronto has the highest insurance rates from what i hear and have seen... u wont need full coverage but since its a benz u might want to consider it.

probably be in around the 250 range

djayz
06-25-2006, 02:28 AM
But since your in toronto prices may be a bit more than here in alberta where we have relatively cheaper insurance.

Check some quote sites online itll give you somewhat of an idea of what you will be paying for different types of cars.

If your not going to be insured under someone im guessing it will be in the 1500/year - 1800/year range for those older cars.

I recently checked a quote for a 2000 protege on a driver under 25 not insured under anyone and i came up with 3800 for the cheapest so its quite pricey down there.

infected
06-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Full coverage should be around $4000/yr for you. Maybe more because I am unfarmiliar with the rates in T-dot, or it could be lower depending on your age.

/////AMG
06-25-2006, 03:13 AM
I would say atleast or over $2000/yr.

Supa Dexta
06-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by djayz
here in alberta where we have relatively cheaper insurance.

says who?

my mother is an agent back home in NS, i got her to do up a quote just to see how it compares and it was less then half of what I pay out here..

88CRXGUY
06-25-2006, 11:04 AM
^Yeah I don't really agree that either. I have a family member that is 26(three years younger than me) and she pays 103 a month with full coverage on a early 80's Toyota, back in BC. On my 88 crx here in alberta it was 200 a month with full coverage.

It probably does matter a bit though if the companies are private or government runed.

adam c
06-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
^Yeah I don't really agree that either. I have a family member that is 26(three years younger than me) and she pays 103 a month with full coverage on a early 80's Toyota, back in BC. On my 88 crx here in alberta it was 200 a month with full coverage.

It probably does matter a bit though if the companies are private or government runed.

the insurance in sask is government regulated and i hear its dirt cheap.. like less then 100 (a year) for full coverage on a decent car

h22aseller
06-25-2006, 02:11 PM
we aren't talking about a calgary to NS or a calgary to BC comparison, we are talking about a calgary to toronto comparison. and as far as i understand, even when the insurance is government regulated, the government can usually only regulate the public liability aspect of it. Fire, collision and theft shouldn't be regulated as far as I know because they are not mandatory for car owners.

djayz
06-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

says who?

my mother is an agent back home in NS, i got her to do up a quote just to see how it compares and it was less then half of what I pay out here..

:banghead: read the whole line...itll make more sense

"But since your in toronto prices may be a bit more than here in alberta where we have relatively cheaper insurance."

infected
06-26-2006, 03:47 AM
We have cheap insurance here? :eek:

barbarian
06-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Aren't the parts for Mercedes vehicles pretty expensive, especially if one is concerned about cost?

Hakkola
06-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Indeed they are...

Barrington
06-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by gstq
Eh,

I'll be driving real soon as a "new driver". I'll be buying either a 1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E or a 1989 Mercedes-Benz 500SL as my first car in a few months. Am I totally fucked for insurance? How much do you guys think I'll be paying? It's pretty obvious that for a luxury car it's going to be a bit pricey, but can you guys give me some estimates?

Thanks.
Hey man, I'm 18 and I drive a 91' E, I pay about 180/mo for insurance. My car is only covered under book value though because I haven't reported any of my mods.. but insurance shouldn't be too high, esp. for an 87'.
The SL might run you higher though because its a 2 seater sports coupe.. and if you get a red one... then we're talking rates prolly..