PDA

View Full Version : WOW debated

Tyler883
06-26-2006, 12:00 AM
HaHa. My nephew is 23 and is a bigtime WoW fanatic.

So I question him "Isn't WoW just a hightech version of a bunch of 10 year olds playing with action figures?"

he tells me"there's alot of similarities but one big difference...the complicity"

me"Hmmmm......don't you mean 'Complexity'?"

Come on guys, discuss.

dennisaur
06-26-2006, 12:25 AM
i've tried it before and in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with playing wow as a leisurely activity. however it becomes a problem when it takes over your life and you spend countless hours in front of the computer playing the game so much that you literally cut yourself off from the outside world... which i hear is what happens to people who get addicted to these kinda games

as with everything in life, moderation is key. just like how most of us love alcohol but we don't ever wanna be that unemployed, homeless, alcoholic hobo passed out on the street

JAYMEZ
06-26-2006, 12:55 AM
I played it , but then i started playing it to much , and i noticed i did , so i said fuck that and i havnt played it for 50 days lol ... its way to addictive

adam c
06-26-2006, 12:56 AM
wow = world of warcraft?

AzN'SKillZ
06-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by adam c
wow = world of warcraft?

YES

i wanted to try WoW but i keep hearing about ppl being to addicted to it, so i thou it would be best to not even try it, i tend to get to into games and forgot about the more important things in life.

JAYMEZ
06-26-2006, 01:08 AM
^^ Yah not worth playing it.

Vagabond142
06-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Azn: It's only addictive if you let it be. I've been playing for damned near 6 months and I'm only a level 54 on my first character. I only have a combined play time of 14 days. Like all things, it's very playable in moderation. BTW, most "addicts" will reach level 60 (the level cap) with full epics (sets of armor for each class that are a BITCH to get with a lot of time dedication required) in under 3 months. I'm looking at least until October before I even get my first epic. But I still enjoy the game :thumbsup:

I am of the view that a gamer has the responsibility to chose how they game. They can become addicts, they can be casual gamers, they can be like me which is a multiplayer/co-op oriented player that attends LANparties once in a blue moon. It's all in how you let yourself see the game :D

xrayvsn
06-26-2006, 01:30 AM
No no, not action figures - more like Dungeons and Dragons minus the dice.

gorilla*goggles
06-26-2006, 01:33 AM
played WoW for about 4 months and its just way to addicting
its like a second world and u have stuff planned and it just
gets way to time consuming...I think the point where I realised
I needed to quit was when I started to ditch plans with the girl
and friends because I had a "raid" or dungeon planned

tictactoe2004
06-26-2006, 08:20 AM
lol, i got 2 level 60's and have a blast playing :) I was an addict but i havent been playing as much lately

that game is amazing :P

kaput
06-26-2006, 09:13 AM

Ashkente
06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Uhh..tell me about it...I tried to quit...3 times :| Still playing..

Vagabond142
06-26-2006, 12:53 PM
(hands Ash the "WoW Players Anonymous" pin) Welcome to the club man, welcome to the club :D I mean, I just paid for 3 more months <_< -_- But still, in moderation the game is fun. If I ever get addicted (ie affecting work, life, family) then I'll cancel my account straight up.

Forcefed
06-26-2006, 01:02 PM
I have 4 level 60's 2 in full Tier 2...I quit playing when finals hit back in may..I still havent played since. The game is fun, but after playing Asheron's Call for 4 years till WOW came out...I cant get seriously hooked anymore...I was for about half a year when it first came out...I played ALOT for about the first 3-4 months to get my first 60 then on off...then ALOT to get my 2nd and 3rd. It seems to cycle for me. But now, I think im done. I have R/l friend playing my main account with my 60's, and I have another account with game and few 40's ill be selling/ giving away if anyone here is interested

three.eighteen.
06-26-2006, 01:21 PM
a friend of mine says "don't bother calling tues or sun, i have WoW"...i find the best solution is to just keep giving him a hard time about being a nerd...

Hanzo
06-26-2006, 04:26 PM
i spent 60 playing days on it over the span of a year. so that's like 1/6 of my time was spent playing wow. Which is crazy considering i had to eat, sleep, go out, and goto school, last year in engineering too at UofC.

Then two months ago I quit, it was getting retarded, i think it hit me that i was sitting in front of my comp on "raid" days starring at a screen getting fat. Plus raiding MC and BWL for the 100000th time really blows. I'm glad im over that game. Having a real life is wayyy better.

Alex_FORD
06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
A few weeks ago, my mother was furious at my nephew, she needed him to lift some heavy items out of her car, but he wouldn't leave his computer.

My nephew actually told his grandmother "Nope, now is not a good time, I have commitments"

:dunno: It's just a F#cken game, and he blows off his grandmother.

Vagabond142
06-28-2006, 02:20 AM
If you think we're addicted over here in North America....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1175367493081978705

stevieo
06-29-2006, 07:03 PM
it is addicting if you let it be. the first time i played, i seriously hated the game and wondered why i wasted money buying it.

then it happened. "oh hey sweet, you can do quests and get skill points." ding level "oh damn i need level 10 to get this skill, just 1 more level to go, and i have so many quest to cash in, ill hit it for sure" then ding. thats how it works. but for me, after i play and hour or two i'm done. ill play a few days a week, maybe an extra hour or so if i don't have to work next day. but after a while it gets really boring for me so i have to leave the game for a week or so, then i play for about 30 minuts and it just kicks in again.

but i sold my game, i sold my account, dont think i can ever play something like that again.

l8braker
06-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Get him to quit or take a break ASAP!!

Two of my good friends play that shit nonstop. A buddy of his showed him it at work and after playing it a few times he was hooked. Now so is his girlfriend, they play alongside in the same computer room for 6-7 hours a day. She used to be 100 lbs, slim and now she is at least 140, huge ass. He was always fat, but is 250. Fast food every night. No time for cooking. They are also pasty white from being in the same room all day. They never come out anymore with us to chill because they're life revolves around the game.

It's sad!!!!

Recca168
06-30-2006, 01:12 AM
damn. if its that bad then its time to lock them out of their house or something. Theres just something wrong with that...

I played wow for a while. got to 60 and my rare armor set but got bored as hell after that. I think i only made it that long cuz i was racing someone to 60... after that just didn't seem fun doing the same shit over and over when i could be out somewhere. Have a cousin that still plays FFXI a lot though. wife and 2 kids and the wife plays too.... really strange sometimes

403Gemini
07-02-2006, 12:37 PM
the biggest problem with WoW is the time dedication it takes with these "raids"

you're stuck 4 hrs a night to run through MC or BWL so that right away eats up AT LEAST 2 nights a week, if you miss it your guild leader just gets pissed off (especially my anal guild leader lol i just laugh at him though, i havent been on a raid in almost a month haha he had a "sit down" with me saying "this isnt a friends guild, its a raiders guild" i told him to fuck off cause i got a new job and im not jeopardizing that to help his sorry ass get through a raid)

Its just ridiculous. I cant wait for Warhammer online to come out because you'll be able to do almost all content of the game with smaller groups and less time dedication. Not this "lets do a 40 man group and go go go! blarrrr!"

instead you see 5 guys in your guild, just pick up and go and do a mission

Vagabond142
07-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm waiting for Huxley where the quests will be "blow up this area" and "kill n amount of baddies" :D :D :D