PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question

redline_13000
04-09-2003, 05:30 PM
hey guys, a friend just bought a new car, hes saying he can drive it for 14 days without insurance and reg, i dont believe this, is it true?

Weapon_R
04-09-2003, 05:30 PM
no

CrAzY_PLaYa
04-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
hey guys, a friend just bought a new car, hes saying he can drive it for 14 days without insurance and reg, i dont believe this, is it true?

he has to have his old plate on it..i do it all the time

redline_13000
04-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by CrAzY_PLaYa

he has to have his old plate on it..i do it all the time

he does have his old plate on, have u ever been caught, or just guessing its ok?

Weapon_R
04-09-2003, 06:01 PM
i've heard the laws have changed, people haven't figured it out.

It's NOT worth the risk. Call up your registry to make sure

CrAzY_PLaYa
04-09-2003, 06:01 PM

he does have his old plate on, have u ever been caught, or just guessing its ok?

Never been caught..but theres a law that says you can drive it for 2 weeks on ur old cars insurance or something

CrAzY_PLaYa
04-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
i've heard the laws have changed, people haven't figured it out.

It's NOT worth the risk. Call up your registry to make sure

hmm maybe they did...but when my dad does that with his cars and sees a cop.."b nashiflou dammou" lol

SI-vic
04-09-2003, 06:16 PM

quot;b nashiflou dammou" lol

:dunno: :confused:

anyways I also heard this was true as long as you carry around your car sale bill thing and if you have an old plate on.
this is what I heard though

Weapon_R
04-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SI-vic

:dunno: :confused:

anyways I also heard this was true as long as you carry around your car sale bill thing and if you have an old plate on.
this is what I heard though

Thats the problem. It's all hearsay. I've heard it a million times. Best bet would be to call the registry.

FiveFreshFish
04-09-2003, 06:57 PM

Thats the problem. It's all hearsay. I've heard it a million times. Best bet would be to call the registry.

:werd:
You don't want to find out AFTER you've crippled a guy for life in a accident you caused while driving without insurance.

CrAzY_PLaYa
04-09-2003, 07:00 PM
It's a fact. 75% of Malaysians speak Muslim.

WTF's that haha?? shou hmar man..Muslim aint a language , its a religion!

Weapon_R
04-09-2003, 07:01 PM
It's a fact. 75% of Malaysians speak Muslim.

WTF's that haha?? shou hmar man..Muslim aint a language , its a religion!

Thats why it's a quote ya ibn zubri

CrAzY_PLaYa
04-09-2003, 07:04 PM

Thats why it's a quote ya ibn bayyiy

ayree b bayyak :rofl:

redline_13000
04-09-2003, 07:09 PM
la howla....

max_boost
04-09-2003, 07:29 PM

Just think about that statement for a second.....

"Insurance and registration please"

LOL

My idiot buddy did that in his Civic hatch and got handed a $2500 ticket and car towed......now since this is a new car, I am sure he would want that to happen eh?!?!

And is it a new car in the sense it was from the dealer? Dealerships won't even release the car without proper registration/insurance!

Weapon_R
04-09-2003, 07:36 PM
He's saying that he'd transfer the plate to the new car and have a bill of sale in hand.

This used to be the case, but it's since been changed (I think) because people were abusing it. Hell, I even did the same thing. I bought the car from a friend and had him update the bill of sale (took 2 seconds) with a present date on it so i'd get cheap insurance on a relatively more expensive car using the previous cars' coverage.

Adica
04-09-2003, 11:12 PM
you can drive your car ONLY if you have insurance for the NEW vehicle. you are right, you can drive your new car without registration for 2 weeks from the date purchased on the bill of sale ONLY if you intend on transfering your old plate onto the new vehicle. (eg. not getting a new plate)

your friend is a dumbass, he's driving without proper insurance:banghead:

RC-Cola
04-10-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Adica
you can drive your car ONLY if you have insurance for the NEW vehicle. you are right, you can drive your new car without registration for 2 weeks from the date purchased on the bill of sale ONLY if you intend on transfering your old plate onto the new vehicle. (eg. not getting a new plate)

your friend is a dumbass, he's driving without proper insurance:banghead:

Adica is right, you HAVE to have insurance on your vechicle from day one. You can drive you car with a bill of sale and no registration for upto 14 days. This is so if you need to transfer your vechicle elsewhere you can move it (ie out of province). We did this with a contest winner for my work. We gave away a new Jeep Liberty last year and we had to transfer by rail to Manitoba. The winner needed to put insurance on the vechicle but we drove it without registration with no problems to the train yard. We called the police, Alberta registries and the rail yard to check on it and they all told us the same thing that it was ok.

Ben
04-10-2003, 09:51 AM
I cant believe it took this far into the thread for the truth to surface! :rolleyes:

I got pulled over 3.5hours after picking up my new car, licence/reg, I said sorry, I just bought this car a few hours ago, he was like oh thats fine, you have the bill of sale on you? He didn't say a word, was basically as if I had registration.

redline_13000
04-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I cant believe it took this far into the thread for the truth to surface! :rolleyes:

I got pulled over 3.5hours after picking up my new car, licence/reg, I said sorry, I just bought this car a few hours ago, he was like oh thats fine, you have the bill of sale on you? He didn't say a word, was basically as if I had registration.

thats what i was looking for, thanks

88ludeacris
04-10-2003, 05:10 PM
ya man, dont even take the chance, its 2500$ fine

szw
04-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Yup same as ben.

I got a ticket the day after I bought the car, and while I had insurance, the slips didn't come in yet.

I just told him it was new. I didn't have the bill of sale either but he said it was okay cuz he could smell the new car smell! haha

Weapon_R
04-10-2003, 09:00 PM
That only answers half the question. Transferring a plate to a new vehicle won't automatically insure the new car.

You have to buy insurance, and then yes, you can drive without registering the new car for 14 days.

redline_13000
04-10-2003, 10:01 PM
That only answers half the question. Transferring a plate to a new vehicle won't automatically insure the new car.

You have to buy insurance, and then yes, you can drive without registering the new car for 14 days.

oo ayre, thanks g