PDA

View Full Version : Government Junk Yards?

Schwa
06-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Does Alberta have government salvage/junk yards liek they do in Saskatchewan?

For example, if I total my car and the insurance company pays me out for it, where does my car get taken to?

Surely there is more than just the pick n pull...thanks!

Supa Dexta
06-26-2006, 05:56 PM
they're fixed up and sold in the east as

"alberta car, never seen salt!"

then we get their's as:

"ontario car, low milage"

nah, I dunno.. but would like to hear as well...

Thaco
06-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Schwa
Does Alberta have government salvage/junk yards liek they do in Saskatchewan?

For example, if I total my car and the insurance company pays me out for it, where does my car get taken to?

Surely there is more than just the pick n pull...thanks!

it gets taken to an auction at calgary salvage or impact auto auctions and gets bought by one of the various "we pull it for you and charge you almost retail for a used part" auto wreckers, and if they don't want it then it goes for scrap steel.

and it's probably different in sask because the govt owns the insurance companies therefore they own the written off car.

snow_daniel
06-26-2006, 10:48 PM
I know there is so many Junk Yard in Calgary
I did go to couple of them in North and South
Search it in yellowpage :D
Mosts of the Junk Yard only have Junk in there Yard:thumbsdow
But two of them are pretty nice:thumbsup:

the_new_santa1
06-26-2006, 10:52 PM
I have been to most of the junk yards in calgary and pick n" pull is the best in my opinion...The oly bad thing is it is getting to popular and something comes into the yard and is stripped in like 2 days......

Schwa
06-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Hmm. Is it impossible, then, for a normal guy to get to the car between the auction and the wreckers? The pick n pull is nice but there is nothing there for newer imports.

Thaco
06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Schwa
Hmm. Is it impossible, then, for a normal guy to get to the car between the auction and the wreckers? The pick n pull is nice but there is nothing there for newer imports.

it's possible, you just have to buy a memership for calgary salvage, i think its ~$40 a year and it's a blind auction, you basically write your bid on a peice of paper and you don't get to see any other bids, whoever is the highest, gets it.

Arthur Dent
06-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

it's possible, you just have to buy a memership for calgary salvage, i think its ~$40 a year and it's a blind auction, you basically write your bid on a peice of paper and you don't get to see any other bids, whoever is the highest, gets it.

I thought you had to be in a "related profession" as well.

Weapon_R
06-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent

I thought you had to be in a "related profession" as well.

I thought so too but someone said that the membership fee can be bought for more money and you get it back after you make a purchase.

3G
06-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I thought so too but someone said that the membership fee can be bought for more money and you get it back after you make a purchase.

yep you gotta make a $300 deposit, and after 6 months i lieve u get it back something liek that, i remember the lady telling me "$300" and "6 months"

Schwa
06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
thanks guys