PDA

View Full Version : Kickboxing

fluid
06-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey im looking for a kickboxing club(muay thai is wht im leaning towards)
I've been looking for one in the ne, but i couldnt find one...
can someone let me kno of one they've went to or heard of and if they liked it or not

thanks

Melinda
06-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Do a search, there have been at least 3 threads on this topic before

fluid
06-27-2006, 01:00 AM
oh really?

i did a search even before i made this thread, they have all been on boxing
there is a difference between boxing and kickboxing.

tapout
06-27-2006, 01:53 AM
mike miles kick boxing club check the white pages. highly recomended:thumbsup:

kindersurprise
06-27-2006, 10:37 AM
agreed

Originally posted by tapout
mike miles kick boxing club check the white pages. highly recomended:thumbsup:

fluid
06-27-2006, 10:41 AM
hmm ill check it out, thx

anyone kno of any muay thai?

Kimchee
06-27-2006, 01:43 PM
i was at miles for a year....great facility (though it can get pretty busy!) and great instructors (Scott and Trevor are the best...and i guess miles is ok too....haha),,i had to leave cause i couldnt sign up for another year as im expected to be relocated cause of work soon....

apparently the downtown gym is more intense but Trevors gym in the north is good too....

checkout his website....there are usually coupons on there for no initiation fee's etc...

hope this helps...:thumbsup:

fluid
06-27-2006, 10:29 PM
yes it did thx, i give it a look

hmm i heard of one place in downtown.... for muay thai

anyone else for muay thai....:confused:

fluid
06-27-2006, 10:46 PM
oh also i jus found out tht mike miles is kickboxing and muay thai

one of my freinds told me one of the guys u have to spar him when u go ther and he kicks ur ass haha

nj2Type-S
06-29-2006, 12:39 PM
if you're looking for a gym in the NE, check out www.bdbma.com i would say that it's more of an MMA gym than it is a muay thai gym. but nick, the muay thai instructor, is freakin' awesome! (he used to train at mike miles, also)

classes can get pretty big on weekdays but it's usually pretty dead on the saturday classes. i would recommend it if you also would like to learn other things like brazilian jiu jitsu, judo, wrestling and capoeira.

if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

goodluck! :thumbsup:

edit: it's www.bdbma.com

fluid
07-01-2006, 03:09 PM
thanks man
i will pm u

1-Cent
07-01-2006, 03:33 PM
If its for cardio, cool, for the love of god don't tell me you're hoping this will defend you like all the other people posting here about the subject.
I have to say the UFC being put on cable is the worst thing to happen to north american society lol now everyone can be an BJJ or MT kickboxing pro!
It looks great in the ring but take it to the street, you lost, no you didn't just lose you'll never walk again and it happend in 15 seconds after you trained BJJ for 5 or 10 years. 9/10 street fights happen drunk, how good at BJJ are you going to be drunk lets be realistic. Ok you might win vs someone the same size as you with no experiance, but the entire point of BJJ is to win vs a larger opponent.

nj2Type-S
07-01-2006, 03:47 PM
i'd have to agree that BJJ in a street fight won't work...especially when there's like 4-5 of his buddies backing him up haha...but i think muay thai is more effective in real life as compared to such traditional martial arts like tkd, karate, etc.

my 2 cents.

1-Cent
07-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I've never done a martial art, just straight boxing (lack of flexibility from powerlifting), I find the best technique is weigh 100lbs more, throw them on the pavement, step on their face and twist while standing. Have yet to encounter a counter to that hahaha.

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i'd have to agree that BJJ in a street fight won't work...especially when there's like 4-5 of his buddies backing him up haha...but i think muay thai is more effective in real life as compared to such traditional martial arts like tkd, karate, etc.

my 2 cents.

nj2Type-S
07-01-2006, 07:47 PM
hahaha that works, too. but what if you encounter somebody w/ the same build but knows muay thai (i'm not using general martial arts as an example cuz they dont count hahaha), there'd be an advantage to that other guy just cuz he would...errr SHOULD know the movements and such.

fluid
07-01-2006, 11:15 PM
haha no not to defend myself, dont worry i kno wut skills street fighting uses, lik espically karate is so wrong for streetfights, cause karate is a highly controlled area/fight, street fighting.....nuff said lol

fluid
07-01-2006, 11:18 PM
also i have to say, i really like ufc, but alot of ppl are learning the styles jus b/c of tht. ive always wanted to take boxing, but then after a long while of me jus bein to lazy to go take classes, jus going 2 the gym to workout, i finally decided tht for summer i will go take sum classes.

nj2Type-S
07-02-2006, 03:31 PM
just don't get into street fights. u never know what weapon they may be hiding...

Melinda
07-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by fluid
oh really?

i did a search even before i made this thread, they have all been on boxing
there is a difference between boxing and kickboxing.
Yes, I am well aware of the differences. However, here are two threads you were unable to find

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100469&highlight=kickboxing

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73669&highlight=kickboxing

Billet
07-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by fluid
yes it did thx, i give it a look

hmm i heard of one place in downtown.... for muay thai

anyone else for muay thai....:confused:

mike miles is FULL MUAY THAI

they are more about thai than kickboxing actually

fluid
07-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Melinda
thts werid when i tried searchin up kickboxing nothing came up.

i decided to join bdbma, its a good place to learn