PDA

View Full Version : The best S939 board?

frostyda9
06-26-2006, 09:05 PM
In your opinion, what's the absolute top board for socket 939?

My choices are narrowed to:

-Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
-DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
-MSI K8N Diamond Plus

Or should I just say screw it and save my pennies for the upcoming Conroe?

NATE0513
06-26-2006, 09:10 PM
I personally used all 3 of those brands in the S939 format. I recommend the DFI over all. You sure S939 is the best route for you? the AM2's are out in full force now. At this point not a sharp performance increase, but if you are purchasing new hardware.. might as well spend a few extra bucks and get the most current.

frostyda9
06-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by NATE0513
I personally used all 3 of those brands in the S939 format. I recommend the DFI over all. You sure S939 is the best route for you? the AM2's are out in full force now. At this point not a sharp performance increase, but if you are purchasing new hardware.. might as well spend a few extra bucks and get the most current.

I already use a 939 board, but it's AGP and has no PCI-X slots, which is limiting the potential of the system. The problem is if I switch sockets, I have a CPU that performs on par with an FX-60 and nothing to do with it.

A new S939 SLI board with a couple of 7900's would kick some ass and allow me to keep my CPU, but all reports have shown that the Conroe is going to badly lay the smack down on anything AMD has to offer, and will be the new champ by a substantial margin.

GoChris
06-26-2006, 09:57 PM
im personally waiting until conroe is out in full force before I upgrade. but then again I only have a p4 3, if i had a top of the line chip i'd get a board for it too probably, why waste it. just maybe not go overboard and use it as an encoding box or something else in the meantime

jvangilst
06-27-2006, 01:46 PM
I have the ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE, and it's great, no problems at all. The only thing you might want to do is get the PREMIUM one, which includes a heat pipe instead of the fan on the northbridge chipset, as the little fan gets loud when it spins so fast. I replaced my northbridge fan with a zalman heatsink.

frostyda9
06-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by jvangilst
I have the ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE, and it's great, no problems at all. The only thing you might want to do is get the PREMIUM one, which includes a heat pipe instead of the fan on the northbridge chipset, as the little fan gets loud when it spins so fast. I replaced my northbridge fan with a zalman heatsink.

Hmm, that's odd. On the MemEx listing, the SLI deluxe uses a a copper heat pipe, as opposed to the SLI premium, which uses an aluminum one. I assumed that was why the Deluxe was an extra $25 :dunno:

edit: just checked - two different boards. Yours is the A8N SLI, the one I mention in this thread is the A8N32 SLI, which has the HP.

frostyda9
06-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Well, I decided to go with the Asus. The DFI is faster overall by the slightest of margins, but I prefer the 8-phase PWM on the Asus, and it doesn't have a bunch of gaudy yellow plastic :barf:

jdm_jspec
07-03-2006, 11:11 PM
DFI for shure mannnn
i use it for gameing
its the best out there
very stable and reliablee
great for gameing
the 8 phase power in the Asus is nice
but dont need it
DFI is a top performer
BTW SLI is overratedd
dammnn like one 7900gtx will kill
it will do anything u want
with a good strong processor
at lest a AMD 64 4000+ with 1Mb of cache

jdm_jspec
07-03-2006, 11:12 PM
the DFIs components and shit on the actual board
are alot better and will last longer and stand up to anything you throw at it

frostyda9
07-04-2006, 02:02 PM
One 7900 is good now, but who knows in a year? I don't want fast, I want ridiculous :D

The CPU is an Opteron dead stable on stock voltage at 2.6GHz X 2, w/ 2 X 1MB L2. It benchmarks identically to an FX-60 at 1/2 the cost. Good enough to bring my 6800GS to nearly 80,000 points in Aquamark, which says quite a bit in itself.

Anyways, I already bought the Asus, but I appreciate the advice. I've had good luck with Asus, but maybe I'll look at a DFI next time.

Unknown303
07-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Asus for the win always. And definately get AM2 now that its out in force.

My next rig will be AM2 and SLI. since agp is dead.