View Full Version : SAIGON Y2K on CROWCHILD

LS Cammer
06-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Is it any good?

Anyone know it?

Thanks.

Weapon_R
06-27-2006, 02:03 PM
I think that both locations taste and look like ass. Some of the worst in Calgary IMO.

Team_Mclaren
06-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think that both locations taste and look like ass. Some of the worst in Calgary IMO. ]

:rofl: :rofl: i agree

LS Cammer
06-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Yikes.

Thanks for the info.

Never tasted ass, don't wanna start now.

Hakkola
06-27-2006, 02:31 PM
I've never had the actual pho there, just beef/pork with rice vermicelli, and I LOVE their spring rolls, but inside isn't very nice...

szw
06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Huh? I thought this was one of the nicer looking vietnamese places!

Weapon_R
06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
The worst thing about the place is the service and the oily film left in the walls of your mouth when you start eating the food :barf:

rc2002
06-27-2006, 04:32 PM
The one on Crowchild is always so busy. Not the best I've had but not the worst either. I usually only go there because it's convenient...

eb0i
06-27-2006, 04:33 PM
The worst thing about the place is the service and the oily film left in the walls of your mouth when you start eating the food :barf:

Yeah I concur. Their food is so oily its disgusting. There are much better Viet places to eat in this city than Saigon Y2K.

ga16i
06-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Shitty service, tastes WAY worse than any ass imaginable, pricey for a pho place too I think.

Bill Cosby
06-27-2006, 05:00 PM

true that that shit is nasty mang

it doesnt taste like viet
it tastes like shiet pronouced shee-' it

toyboy88
06-27-2006, 05:40 PM
...and to make it worse! no fresh bubble tea, only powdered ones ;)

B20EF
06-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I thought the service was pretty good at the Macleod location but I hate the one by the University, worst service ever

But Forest Lawn has the best pho, go there

samo147
06-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by B20EF
I thought the service was pretty good at the Macleod location but I hate the one by the University, worst service ever

But Forest Lawn has the best pho, go there

true dat

dj_rice
06-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby

true that that shit is nasty mang

it doesnt taste like viet
it tastes like shiet pronouced shee-' it

And arent you white???So u know exactly what authentic Viet food tastes like right?

D'z Nutz
06-27-2006, 07:04 PM
With chinese/vietnamese food, there's always the rule: The dirtier the restaurant is, the better the food tastes.

Y2K is the exception.

Team_Mclaren
06-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
With chinese/vietnamese food, there's always the rule: The dirtier the restaurant is, the better the food tastes.

Y2K is the exception.

that's actually really true.hahah

but i didnt think their service was too shitty... may be becuase i was there wayyyy too often..

dj_rice
06-27-2006, 07:31 PM

Y2K is the exception.

That must be why Pho Xuan tastes pretty good, for being in tha ghetttttttttto but nothing beats home made pho

GQBalla
06-27-2006, 11:28 PM
pho xuan is definatly the worst lookin pho place i have ever been too.

but their pho is so good!

but y2k is decent i think also takin in the factor its so convient

ga16i
06-27-2006, 11:33 PM

Y2K is the exception.

haha, yeah, that's somewhat true. Also look out for the general "whiteness" of the customers, if you no see asians in a "asian" restaurant, it may be wise to stay away,. :thumbsup:

SikAssR1
06-27-2006, 11:36 PM
I will tell you where to get the worst pho ever known to all Pho eaters around the world....that place in harvest/coventry hills strip mall, I think its by Rickys restaurant...:barf:

GQBalla
06-28-2006, 01:00 AM
worst pho ive ever been to is this place in silver springs..

BigDannyCool
06-28-2006, 01:07 AM
saigon y2k has been there for years, so it can't be all that bad. Haven't been there myself. But nothing beats mom's homemade pho.

SLK55
06-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Y2K isnt as bad as people say, but not great. The service is hurtin though.

Avoid Pho Kim, a buddy of mine found a huge earthworm in his dish.

Bill Cosby
06-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

And arent you white???So u know exactly what authentic Viet food tastes like right?

because i am white i dont know what authentic viet food tastes like?...

thats like saying oh a chinese person knows what authentic viet food tastes like because they are asian

one of my best friends is viet and ive had my fair share of msg from the restaurants his family take me too

but thanks for coming out.. go spin a rice paper "dj"_rice

Weapon_R
06-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Pho Xuan is one of the best tasting places but its hideous.

JRSC00LUDE
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
My vote goes for Bagolac Saigon Restaurant. Tasty pho and stew beef is pretty killer too!

girlSTAR
06-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Any Saigon Y2K restaurants...

- bad service
- disgusting food that is over priced.

I've never actually seen any viets dining there before.

GQBalla
06-28-2006, 01:33 PM
pho kim is soo good though!!

Steve-O 00
06-28-2006, 01:41 PM
i love their soups thats all i ever had there:thumbsup:

XylathaneGTR
06-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
My vote goes for Bagolac Saigon Restaurant. Tasty pho and stew beef is pretty killer too!

DAMNIT where is this place?
One of the physiotherapists at a physical rehab hospital i had to stay at told me about it, he told me where it was, but since i'm an idiot i totally forgot.
I craved pho for soooo long after talking with him about it too. Where the hell is it?!

01RedDX
06-28-2006, 02:33 PM

JRSC00LUDE
06-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

DAMNIT where is this place?
One of the physiotherapists at a physical rehab hospital i had to stay at told me about it, he told me where it was, but since i'm an idiot i totally forgot.
I craved pho for soooo long after talking with him about it too. Where the hell is it?!

Two blocks east of Chinook Centre, 6130 - 1A St SW 403-252-5588 to be specific.

ProjectR
06-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Went to eat at the one by McMahon Stadium before...that place kinda sucked, service was bad, and food was pretty bad too IMO, if you want good pho/viet food, head to the forest lawn area.

A_3
06-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by ProjectR
Went to eat at the one by McMahon Stadium before...that place kinda sucked, service was bad, and food was pretty bad too IMO, if you want good pho/viet food, head to the forest lawn area.

Or just head a few blocks down 16th to Pho Kim. Very good as well.

dj_rice
06-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby

because i am white i dont know what authentic viet food tastes like?...

thats like saying oh a chinese person knows what authentic viet food tastes like because they are asian

one of my best friends is viet and ive had my fair share of msg from the restaurants his family take me too

but thanks for coming out.. go spin a rice paper "dj"_rice

Mannnn nguoi tay's are so mouthy, but whatever, its all good, dont be jealous cause I can have homemade Pho when I want whereas you have to go to a Pho restaurant to get it :rofl: :rofl:

I'm just messing, dont take it personally, you were just the token white guy I randomly chose to make fun of

But anywayz, PHO XUAN FTW!!!!!! When it just opened, it was full of Viets, then recently more ung do's, and nguoi tay's started eating there....so I guess everyones starting to realize that Viets are SUPERIOR :thumbsup:

Ahhh A bowl of Pho Dac Biet and Avocado Shake..thats how we dooz it

Bill Cosby
06-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Pho Houng Viet FTL

BUM FUCKA

RotaryDrifter
06-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
pho kim is soo good though!!

:werd:

Also,

Pho Dau Bo (17th SE)

When you eat from these 2 places, you wont think of anywhere else. :thumbsup:

XylathaneGTR
06-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Two blocks east of Chinook Centre, 6130 - 1A St SW 403-252-5588 to be specific.
thanks.

clem24
06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Bumping a super old thread...

Just thought I would get other people's opinions on Y2K. I seem to be find myself going there (Crowchild) quite frequently lately. I am a big pho guy (my fave spots are Song Huong on 17th SE and Pho Thanh in Huntington). But for some reason, I crave Y2K every week now. Not for the pho, but everything else. My likes and dislikes:

- The "banh hoi" or whatever you call it (where they serve processed and grilled meat and you wrap with the banh hoi noodles, mint, lettuce, cucumber, etc... and dip in fish sauce), except they use rice paper for wrap instead of lettuce for the wrap. It's so tasty! I usually order the triple combo one with shrimp, pork and beef la bop.
- The 3 color bean drink - so, so good... Every where else sucks ass compared to Y2K. It's not too sweet and has just the right amount of coconut taste. I had it at Pho Kim last week and it tasted like complete ass - watery, no coconut taste, SUPER SUPER sweet, and the red beans didn't even seem like they were properly cooked.
- The viet style hot & sour soup with shrimp. Reminds me of Tom Yum Kung but with very distinctive Viet flavours and neat vegetables inside. Very very good.
- The salad rolls. They are just so much better than most (though my second fave is probably the ones from La Cay subs, which I believe are sourced from Pho Xuan). But probably the tastiest part is the dipping sauce. It's mixed with a bit of peanut sauce and is perfect, even the consistency!
- The chicken wings with some kind of modified plum sauce. So fucking good and so fucking expensive!!!
- Very extensive menu. They seem to have lots of dishes you can't get anywhere else.

Dislikes:

- The pho, especially the satay. The satay has so much oil in it and other shit... Absolutely disgusting. But.. I must admit that they give a TON of meat with their pho. Otherwise the pho sucks ass.
- They charge for tea.
- Usually busy as hell. And I would say 75% filled with whiteys eating pho or vermicelli.
- Seemingly owned and operated by Chinese people. So even though I like the food, it seems to detract from the "authentic experience" hahaha, like going to a Japanese restaurant and finding Chinese chefs and servers.
- Expensive - where else does Viet cuisine come out to $50 for 2 people?!?

Most Viet purists seem to hate Y2K and this thread seems to be full of hate as well, but is it just me that really likes this place? Also, I can only speak for the Crowchild location cause that's the only one I've been to. Never been to the one in Chinatown.. I don't even know if they have the same menu!

So now my question is, where else in Calgary we I get the Banh Hoi stuff?

JohnnyBlaze
06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
For the "wraps", I like Song Viet in Chinatown, the old Vietnamese Village. Get the one where they give you a pot of a vinegar type broth and you cook the beef yourself :drool:

Despair*
06-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Anyone know what happened to the Pho Hoai in Southland Crossing next to the Tramps? I saw the other day they are closed.

n1zm0
06-26-2009, 12:25 PM
yeah the whole few shops there looks like they got closed down, it was one of the last on my list for my calgary 'pho test' lol

Dumbass17
06-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by LS Cammer
Yikes.

Thanks for the info.

Never tasted ass, don't wanna start now.

it's pretty shitty

thanks, i'll be here all week

RX_EVOLV
06-26-2009, 02:17 PM
I go to Y2k alot just because it is so close to my house. They are not the greatest but it gets the job done I guess. The other one I go to is sunshine by Canyon meadow, which imo is even worst than Y2K!. the one in southland crossing I havent been there in a while cause the last time I went it was $12.50 + tax for a bowl of Pho! unreal.

I would drive all the way out to 17th ave if i could but gas money alone will cost more than the meal. Someone really needs to open up a proper Pho restaurant in the south. I will be there everyday!

RX_EVOLV
06-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Also tried Bosa by the old treasure of china. okay at best but holy crap they are small, smaller than a bag of instant noodle.

Tried Rice King the other day. it was white washed to the max. Small, expensive and disgusting.

signature7
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by SikAssR1
I will tell you where to get the worst pho ever known to all Pho eaters around the world....that place in harvest/coventry hills strip mall, I think its by Rickys restaurant...:barf:

:werd: :werd: They also have the most fucked up out in the open washrooms too. I honestly rather eat mr. noodles than crap they serve there, how they're still in business is beyond me.

sneek
07-01-2009, 06:39 PM
No, the worst Pho place is in Beacon Hill. It is brand new and looks clean. LOL so it fits in the grand scheme of things. It was really cheap, dinner for 2 with drinks and spring rolls came out to $16 including tax!

aypi
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by SikAssR1

:werd: :barf:

IMO one of the best viet. restaurant is the one by T&T harvest hills. i think its called saigon pearl? :dunno:

clem24
07-02-2009, 10:02 AM
LOL I brought this thread back to discuss Y2K and specifically Banh Hoi and it turns into a typical Viet food thread. :facepalm: