PDA

View Full Version : Running rich, how to fix?

iblizzard
06-28-2006, 02:08 AM
I've got a 90 accord with a JDM h22a... I recently put on a full exhaust system (Megan Racing, absolute crap imo, but that's a different story.) and with it a new O2 sensor... this sensor was an "FTK" O2 sensor bought from AutoValue.

Very shortly after the exhaust was installed, I could tell I was running rich... nasty smell in the exhaust, a lot more popping and backfiring, lots of carbon build up in the exhaust, etc.

I'm guessing it's probably because of this O2 sensor, but I'm not too sure what else might cause it.
I'm going to be replacing the entire exhaust again soon.. since I'm so unhappy with the Megan Racing system, and I'll be replacing the O2 sensor along with it, but thought I'd post and see if anyone has any ideas as to what this could be.. and if it is the O2 sensor, if there's anything I can do in the mean time (short of replacing the sensor).

benyl
06-28-2006, 06:39 AM
haha. An exhaust system won't make you run rich. It will lean you out. You are moving more air.

The smell is probably from the lack of Catalytic converters. I am surprised you don't have a CEL... probably will soon.

The carbon build-up is normal at our altitude as most cars run rich. If you floor it all the time, you will get soot all over the place.

78si
06-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Install a magnaflow cat. :thumbsup: It will also make your car quieter.

SilverBoost
06-28-2006, 09:26 AM
well I have 2 O2 sensors..... the 2nd one does nothing to the car... in fact I dont' even have it anymore, but the first one of course if not working, fucks everything up and the car won't run correctly. If you O2 is not the right one, or it's just garbage I would say it might cause some issues, but mayber more than just running rich. I think the car would run shitty overall.

My car runs rich at this elevation as was said, but my plugs still look pretty decent when I check them. I can lean it out on the dyno with the SAFCII next time I tune, but unless you have a tunign option like that I don't know what to tell you. How rich do you think you're running anyhow? Do you have a wideband or are you getting really black plugs and a smell of gas in your oil?

iblizzard
06-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by benyl
haha. An exhaust system won't make you run rich. It will lean you out. You are moving more air.

I never said I thought it was the exhaust, I was just saying I'm going to be replacing it because of other problems. But an O2 sensor, if it were faulty could cause it to run rich, correct?

Originally posted by 78si
Install a magnaflow cat. :thumbsup: It will also make your car quieter.

Yeah, a cat is the first thing I'm changing... that was a mistake.

Originally posted by SilverBoost
If you O2 is not the right one, or it's just garbage I would say it might cause some issues, but mayber more than just running rich. I think the car would run shitty overall.

My car runs rich at this elevation as was said, but my plugs still look pretty decent when I check them. How rich do you think you're running anyhow?

From what I've read, you should never go anything but OEM for O2 sensors in a honda. A lot of people have suggested to just replace the one that's in there with one from honda and it should clear up most of my problems.

My plugs look fine when I check them, nothing out of the ordinary. I have no idea how rich I think I'm running... I don't have any reference point to judge it.

I'm probably going to wait until I replace the exhaust and do it then, since I'll be replacing the header anyways and won't have to worry about taking the old sensor out. Unfortunately, I'm not planning on doing that for a couple months now.