PDA

View Full Version : For those Spec V people...

RiceCake
04-10-2003, 01:13 AM
What octane do you usually use and any tips on breaking in the car?

You guys have a new fellow Spec owner :)

Ben
04-10-2003, 08:04 AM
"She Needs Premium dude, PREMIUM!"

actually I'm pretty sure that car will run fine off regular, but I do believe the maufacturer recommends Premium 91 in the SE-R.

MerfBall
04-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Use whatever your manufacturer recommends. Read your car manual too, it usually has all the info on the right way to break in your new ride. The manufacturer knows best.

Here's something that might help too:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/030108.htm

RC-Cola
04-10-2003, 09:16 AM
I have a fairly new Spec V (I got it in December '02). Anyways I was told by the delivery guy and in the manual that you should vary the speed you drive at as much as possible, don't use cruise, don't rev your car over 3500 rpm's for the first 1400 - 1600 km's. I followed these rules and my car seems to be working well. Also I read on another board (www.b15sentra.net) that you should pull your car fairly hard upto 3500 rpms every once in a while so that the ECU learns that your an aggressive driver.

I also found with my Spec V that it was eating oil for the first 5000 km's. Of course this made me VERY concerned, however it has since seemed to have stopped doing this. From what the dealer said and what I have read on the 'net this is somewhat normal for the car while the rings become set.

P.S. I almost always use premium, the manual recommends anything over 89 octane. I have put regular in on the occasion when gas has been very high. I did notice a difference in how the car pulled between the different gases.

BTW congrats on your new car, your going to love it...:thumbsup:

bigboom
04-10-2003, 11:02 AM
actually witht he 03's the ring problem has been fixed so there should be no burning oil.

i find that with 91 there isnt as much power as 89...so i just vary between the two. a popular mod with the specv is either grounding or desensitizing it and if you do this mod then you will have to go 91 just to make sure there is no knocking.

other than that...watch for the shitty nissan paint

hinggu
04-10-2003, 11:15 AM
I always use 91 or 92 octane, because the manual recommends this. and yeah, don't keep a constant speed for the first 1600 kms and don't rip it quite just yet

calarina
04-10-2003, 11:56 AM
I was surprised with the Spec V. It was quite an easy car to drive...easiest manual transmission I've ever driven. It made me want one.

Congrats, I think they're great cars. :)

ACS-e36
04-10-2003, 12:05 PM
89 should be fine! wouldnt hurt if you use 91+ once in a while

Fluidic
04-10-2003, 12:10 PM
What's the compression ratio on the Spec V engines? http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/sad/conf.gif

Peter

szw
04-10-2003, 12:13 PM
87 is A OK!

the manual says use 87, but use 91 if you want to feel extra sporty

GingeRRRBeef
04-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by szw
87 is A OK!

the manual says use 87, but use 91 if you want to feel extra sporty

I'm sure using 87 is alright because it recommends 87 for the Altima 2.5 and it's the same engine

But in the manual it's say to use at least 91

I've never used anything besides 91. I really don't see that big of a deal for using 91. I've been filling it up at Esso cause they've got 92. It's really for peace of mind.

And there's been enough debates on sentra forums like b15sentra.net and thevboard.net. The debates been beaten to death over what octane levels out engine should take. I think it's dumb. There's constant flame war over there over the dumbest shit.

Anywho, I think it's worth the extra 3 dollars per fill for the "better" gas

szw
04-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Yup the manual is different in the 2003...it recommends 87 but it says use 91 if you want more performance.

but just go with 91 if you are worried.

have fun with the car!

Fluidic
04-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Anyone? Compression ratio of the Spec V?

Peter

GingeRRRBeef
04-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by szw
Yup the manual is different in the 2003...it recommends 87 but it says use 91 if you want more performance.

but just go with 91 if you are worried.

have fun with the car!

O I didn't know the manual is different between the years

GTS Jeff
04-10-2003, 01:47 PM
the reason u can use whatever gasoline u want on the qr25 is cuz the engine has a knock sensor and will adjust ignition timing to whatever gasoline ure using.

eric, i can tell u from personal experience that the qr25 runs perfectly fine on 87....so i guess when u want to be fast use 91 but to save $$ use 87..

MerfBall
04-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Do what your manufacturer recommends for octane.
Octane rating == Anti Knock Index not Power Index

Here's some reads for you:
http://www.shell.ca/code/motoring/encyclopedia/gasolines/octane.html
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=23251&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=23051&bmUID=1050004434912

I'm actually surprised that the Nissan would say
use 91 if you want more performance. I would use 87 unless you develop knock or pinging then I would switch up. Sounds to me like 87 is fine. Don't waste your money on 91 it does nothing for you, if there's no knocking at 87.

GTS Jeff
04-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall
Do what your manufacturer recommends for octane.
Octane rating == Anti Knock Index not Power Index

Here's some reads for you:
http://www.shell.ca/code/motoring/encyclopedia/gasolines/octane.html
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=23251&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=23051&bmUID=1050004434912

I'm actually surprised that the Nissan would say . I would use 87 unless you develop knock or pinging then I would switch up. Sounds to me like 87 is fine. Don't waste your money on 91 it does nothing for you, if there's no knocking at 87. dude, the point of a knock sensor is to help the engine adapt to different octane levels. it does this by adjusting ignition timing to prevent knock, which in turn also affects performance.

u could put 70 octane gas into the engine and it would probably still run w/o knocking...except with really crappy output.

if uve read those articles u posted then ull understand how an knock sensor works. basically, the ecu advances timing as much as it can before theres any knocking...so when u use higher octane gas, the timing is advanced, and when u use lower octane gas, the timing is retarded. and since nissan tuned the engine for 91 octane, the advanced timing will bring more hp out whereas retarding the timing will reduce power output to prevent detonation.

RiceCake
04-11-2003, 12:27 AM
I think I'll try and use 89 octane for the time being... I'm slowly approaching 100kms on the engine now... haha

bigboom
04-11-2003, 01:04 AM
i believe the spec compression ratio is 9.5:1

T5_X
04-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
dude, the point of a knock sensor is to help the engine adapt to different octane levels. it does this by adjusting ignition timing to prevent knock, which in turn also affects performance.

u could put 70 octane gas into the engine and it would probably still run w/o knocking...except with really crappy output.

if uve read those articles u posted then ull understand how an knock sensor works. basically, the ecu advances timing as much as it can before theres any knocking...so when u use higher octane gas, the timing is advanced, and when u use lower octane gas, the timing is retarded. and since nissan tuned the engine for 91 octane, the advanced timing will bring more hp out whereas retarding the timing will reduce power output to prevent detonation.

:werd: Our V70 has the same thing. I noticed quite a difference in power between 87 and 92 octane.