PDA

View Full Version : 3M film

spyce
06-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi, I picked up my new car last week and brought it to 3M Trimline to get the whole front covered (bumper, fendors, side mirrors). Almost a week later the film is starting to no stick..and peel up. Theres some spots on the side mirrors that are doing it. And there are bigger pieces...at the bottom corners of the bumpers by the wheels that are peeling up
I talked with one of the people there this morning and they claim that they are having trouble with a lot of the new Lexus's or something. Saying they think Lexus is detailing it with some kind of product that doesnt let their 3M film stick well enough. The solution I was told was to bring it there tomorrow for them to check out and they will 'trim the loose pieces'.

I dunno, I think thats somewhat of a waste of the whole purpose as well as slightly lazy. Maybe what they told me was true, but I think they didnt prep the car properly. Maybe the result of not using enough of an alcohol based solution to get any sort of detailling/wax product off the car before applying the 3m film.

Do you think its uncalled for to ask them to take it off and redo it again?

Bill Cosby
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
i think you should get those fuckers to do the job right

if they are having problems with new lexus's .. find a solution, if you let them cut off the 3m that isnt sticking thats a waste

heavyD
06-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by spyce
Do you think its uncalled for to ask them to take it off and redo it again?

No. You just doled out the cash for a new car. Cutting off the peeling areas is bush. Make them do it properly.

Pee_Sack
06-28-2006, 02:51 PM
If by trim the lose pieces they me just cut off what has peeled and not do anything about it then yes you should put up a fight, you paid to have it protected and if they just trim pieces off it isn't protecting.

Altezza
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Trimline does the 3M for Lexus of Calgary. I just had a brand new car 3M'd by Lexus of Calgary. There were big problems at first, so they just reapplied it.

spyce
06-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Well I just called 3M trimline.
I politely asked them that I would be more comfortable for them to actually take off what was done to the bumper and reapply it once again. The person I spoke to was Darlene and she gave me a very rude reply saying all they are going to do is trim it back and said taht what I have on my car is more than enough. And I apparently have more than what the other kits cover. She kept on insisting on her story from what she told me earlier about 'all the new lexus's seem to have some detaililng product on it which doesnt allow their 3m to stick' and she rudely said she wasnt going to tell me again.

Im pretty pissed off actually because I think they excuse they are using is bullshit. I know one of my coworkers who has the exact same car and all 3m on the front and has had no problems with it and also thinks its some detailling error they have done.

I dont even think I can do much other than bring my car to them tomorrow to have a look at and then get it trimmed off

Altezza
06-28-2006, 04:15 PM
In the process of applying 3M, they strip the applied areas of wax and make sure it's clean before the film even sees the car. Either Lexus is using some super detailing product or Trimeline isn't doing a good enough job.

bonnieclyde240
06-28-2006, 04:15 PM
You should definitely go back and tell them to fix it. Maybe next time go to Shadow Tint for 3M, they'll get the job done right.
:D

Altezza
06-28-2006, 04:18 PM
^^ unfortunately, ShadowTint has gotten high on themselves. They wanted more than the dealer to do 3M. They were also more than double (almost triple) the price of Trimeline.

me&you
06-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I'd tell them where to put their excess pieces and do it again!

rip
06-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Just a heads up, I had some 3M film removed a couple weeks ago, and it lifted some of the clearcoat with it.

The shop that did mine covered the damage, but they tried not to initially (go figure).

turbotrip
06-28-2006, 04:22 PM
keep talking to superiors untill you either get it fixed right or get to the president of the company

USED1
06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
My roommate has the exact same car and it was detailed through Calgary Lexus and has had no problems with his. I would make them redo it!

spyce
06-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
In the process of applying 3M, they strip the applied areas of wax and make sure it's clean before the film even sees the car. Either Lexus is using some super detailing product or Trimeline isn't doing a good enough job.

well i had my car waxed before i picked it up from the dealership with meguires wax
and yea thats pretty much it. i think they did a crap job when prepping the car and are refusing to do anything about it other than trim it back
maybe im being unreasonable because the stuff that is peeling back is about an inch or so long and its a lot of work to take it all off and reapply it just to get some edges to stick? :whipped:

fuck them for tint though...ill take it somewhere else
good tint shop anyone?

bonnieclyde240
06-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
^^ unfortunately, ShadowTint has gotten high on themselves. They wanted more than the dealer to do 3M. They were also more than double (almost triple) the price of Trimeline.

I'd rather pay top dollar for it to be done right the first time rather than take it to a place that does unsatisfactory work, waste my time driving there again and having to deal with rude workers. Money is money but stress can kill and I'd rather not deal with the bs, but too each it's own, some people have more time than others. Plus not only do you pay for the quality of work, you pay for the quality of 3M too, that's probably why it's more expensive then the rest.

xrayvsn
06-28-2006, 04:42 PM
I can understand that there could be a difference in price for the labour between shops, but how is one 3M of better quality from the other to justify a higher price for the material? Do they not come from the same place?

Altezza
06-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by bonnieclyde240

I'd rather pay top dollar for it to be done right the first time rather than take it to a place that does unsatisfactory work, waste my time driving there again and having to deal with rude workers. Money is money but stress can kill and I'd rather not deal with the bs, but too each it's own, some people have more time than others. Plus not only do you pay for the quality of work, you pay for the quality of 3M too, that's probably why it's more expensive then the rest.

That's why I had Lexus do it (rather, their contracted people at Trimeline). It's easier to point the finger at Lexus and they have a much higher commitment to customer service than any local independent shop (Ironically, this time it was cheaper to have it done at Lexus than ShadowTint). As such, I waste no time since they ensure the job is done right before I even have to complain about it. I've had work done at Shadowtint before as well. They aren't THAT good to demand over $500 for 3M application on hood/fenders/mirrors on a PRECUT kit let alone custom application. The quoted price was so high, my first reaction was, "No, I only want hood, fenders, and mirrors." The response, "yup, that's the price for hood, fenders, and mirrors only. Bumper is $x more. 24" kit is $x more."

j0m3r
06-29-2006, 12:42 PM
:whocares: ... lol i'm just kidding buddy, I saw you're car 2 days ago and i didnt notice anything peeling off... maybe it was cuz you were trying to drift that puppy down that bigg ass hill that leads to your house and therefore peeled off the 3M sheet.