PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Used Car

gstq
06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
When you're buying a used car off a buddy, what happens? Does he give you, I don't know, some sort of 'vehical registration paper' or something? I have no idea. If you're just doing a cash deal, does he basically just give you the car for cash and you're off?

Thanks,
Mike

dankish1
06-29-2006, 11:37 AM
no or else he can take the car back...
go to the registry and get a bill of sale.
or on the back of the regerstration card there is a little bill of sale.
i would recomend getting the bill of sale its a legal document. not to sure if the piece of regerstration would hold up in court.

Crymson
06-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Run a lien/title check on the car first, EVEN if it's your buddies (maybey even, especially). If there is a lien, you can't put it in yoru name until that lien is paid off, and any type of special conditions may make it unregisterable (junk,salvage, rebuilt, etc.).

Print off a bill of sale from AMA's website.

fill it out, sign it, exchange funds -DO 2 COPIES, 1 FOR EACH OF YOU.

At that point the car is uninsured, by the previous owner, and if you've already arranged for insurance, then it's now insured by you.

Get insurance pronto if you didn't do it before hand, insurance needs a copy of the bill of sale.

They fax you your proof of insurance, or email it, and you print it, as soon as you call pretty much.

Bring your bill of sale, proof of insurance, and ID to a registery and get a new plate.

jer82
06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
If the vehicle is over 12 years old you must get a mechanical inspection as well but your insurance company will tell you that. Also you have two weeks from the date on the bill of sale to register the vehicle.