PDA

View Full Version : importing car from states, "title" question

Graham_A_M
06-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a frame of a burnt out car, thats in the states. The car is a 1991. He wants $12k USD for the frame without a title or $15k with a title. I was just wondering how it goes with titling vehicles that are now 15 years old, and if its required or not. Can I register this car without a title? can I even import it without a title? (that 15 year rule) and how do I go about obtaining a title? I dont want to pay this guy the extra $3k USD for the full title... but I will if I have to...

any help would be HIGHLY appreciated...

The frame is for a 1991 Lamborghini Diablo that I found on these US car & truck classifieds. It had a fire in the engine bay, so everything behind the steering wheel is "charboiled" or missing.. the engine and transmission are missing also. I'd like to make a "track/race" car out of it... with the option of driving it on the road (hense the importance of the title).

Like I say, HUGE thanks for any help, $3k USD is something I'd rather not blow un-needlessly.

Go4Long
06-29-2006, 05:09 PM
if the car has been written off(probably has with fire damage), wether you get a title or not you will never be able to register it in canada, so it shouldn't make a difference. Although I'm not sure how the border would take to a flamed out vehicle coming across the border with no proof of ownership...

Kobe
06-29-2006, 06:41 PM
you need the U.S Title to bring it over the boarder

CalgarySupra
06-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
if the car has been written off(probably has with fire damage), wether you get a title or not you will never be able to register it in canada, so it shouldn't make a difference. Although I'm not sure how the border would take to a flamed out vehicle coming across the border with no proof of ownership...

are you sure of this?

Graham_A_M
06-29-2006, 08:49 PM
^ the car doesn't have a "salvage" or "written off" title. Its essentially a normal car as of its title classification... so now what?

funkedelic
06-30-2006, 02:16 PM
here in alberta you give a guy a napkin and its good for a bill of sale then you can register it but in florida without a title your fucked! the car can be yours but to them it belongs to the last guy that registered it,and has title.