PDA

View Full Version : calling all mazda experts

Accord_tunerx
06-30-2006, 01:55 AM
ok so i know this guy who owns a protege 03 or the newer ones so he told me after getting into second gear with teh clutch and then he just pushes it to three gear at 3500rpm without the clutch is it me or does that sound werid? haha can someone explain both sides? cause it was messed ahha

Mitsu3000gt
06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I believe every car has an exact RPM that you can shift without the clutch, but under no circumstances should anyone try this in my opinion, except for the professionals. I remember reading in a magazine about either a ferrari or lamborghini test driver (best job ever) who could shift like that at the exact rpm, but even he didn't reccomend it.

I do not think this question is specific to the mazda protige, it works in every car.

Mark

teggypimp95
06-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah i believe they call it speed shifting or something(not sure) i knew a guy who did this on his bike, he could go through all the gears with out using the clutch. I would never try it though, nothin sends shievers down my spine like when i grinds the gears:banghead:

98brg2d
06-30-2006, 12:21 PM
As long as you are really good at rev-matching your shifts it can be done. I think it was more common to do this when transmissions didn't have synchros and you either had to double clutch or rev-match really well to change gears.

vtec4life
06-30-2006, 05:25 PM
ya i remember my dads friend showing me that in his cougar it was pretty cool but its probably very hard.

tsi_neal
06-30-2006, 05:41 PM
i dunno why you guys think its so fantastic or hard... as long as your timing is right its dead easy.

One of my old work trucks was a manual with the heaviest clutch ive ever felt. the only time i used the clutch in that one was when i stopped...

my talon also shifts real easy without the clutch, but honestly you cant bang off fast shifts this way.

Accord_tunerx
06-30-2006, 06:00 PM
so matching the rpm is needed? i am guessing?

Supa Dexta
07-01-2006, 12:23 AM
ha.. this is so easy, it will simply fall into place at the right rpm.. speed shifting is when you keep the gas pressed when letting out the clutch, not the same at all.. as for clutchless shifting not hard, but not needed for anything, sumtin to play with now and then, just to say you did it, but whoo hoo :whocares:

just give it gas, as its pulling foward, simply go into neutral, then into the next gear as its still pulling forward from the initial pull.. its not an "exact rpm" its just the tranny will go into gear with the car still pulling forward and not slowing any..