PDA

View Full Version : Treadmills or Crosstrainers?

shakalaka
06-30-2006, 02:14 PM
I have been meaning to ask this for a while, but never had the chance.
So here's the question. What do you think is better? Treadmills or Crosstrainers? In terms of let' say overall burning fat/calories?
This is what I've noticed recently. If I spend 35 minutes on a treadmill, I can never make it by running all this time. Like in between I have to stop to catch my breath and all that. Where as on the crosstrainers I can pretty much 'run' or use the crosstrainer really fast for whole 35 minutes or so.
So in the end, I've noticed that I end up burning more calories in the same period of time on teh crosstrainer when compared to treadmills.
So, I am just wondering is it easier to burn more calories on the crosstrainer or what? I mean I am starting to prefer them more since I got better result outta it.

What do you guys prefer and why? For now, I am looking to burn more claories = burn more fat. The crosstrainer seems to be doing a better job at it, since I can see the amount of calories I burn. Are there any other advantages of the treadmills over the trainers?

stevieo
06-30-2006, 02:54 PM
i'd go with the treadmill, the cross training uses my arms too.. so when my legs start to die out my arms pump the machine thus making it easier on me and my legs. whereas on the treadmill, its just like running.. a lot tougher on my stamina so i go with the treadmill.

LuxCars
06-30-2006, 03:00 PM
^^^

yes true but your targeting alot more parts in your body with the corsstrainer. You build up more strength if you end up using your arms in the crosstrainer, so it sort off makes up for weightlifting.

Also if you want to turn your cross trainer into a treadmill, just dont hold on to the bars, this way you work out alot harder than the treadmill because you also have to try and maintain balance.

+ 1 for crosstrainer

jdmakkord
06-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Crosstrainers give you a better burn, and are a lot lower impact on your knees/ankles.

~Leah~
06-30-2006, 06:11 PM
DO you have asthma? I've noticed I get really short of breath on treadmills as well... the pounding hurts my lungs... but yeah, the crosstrainer is lower impact and you can target so many diff areas.

TurboMedic
06-30-2006, 09:40 PM
crosstrainers are great....we've had both, and by far a better workout......lower impact, waaayy more sweating goin on!

shakalaka
07-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
DO you have asthma? I've noticed I get really short of breath on treadmills as well... the pounding hurts my lungs... but yeah, the crosstrainer is lower impact and you can target so many diff areas.

No I don't have ashtma or anything, not that I know off anyways. lol

But overall I just find that for me, I get a better workout of off the crostrainers and it's easier on me when compared to the treadmills. Same amount of time spent on either machines, I end up burning more calories on the trainers.

WWJAI
07-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Same for me. I always wondered which one was better. I use to always go on the crosstrainer because I found I was losing way more calories and in a shorter amount of time. As well, it was funner then the treadmill. For the treadmill, I can barely run so I just speedwalk at a 4.9 pace. I feel like I lose more fat off the crosstrainers but recently I just walk on the treadmill always. Time to go back to the crosstrainer...

asuth077
07-01-2006, 12:39 PM
I'd like to give a cross-trainer a try. I find running too hard on my knee but I have been using a recumbent cycle over the past year and I love it.

Alex_FORD
07-03-2006, 08:45 PM
I have a high BMI so the low impact attribute of a crosstrainer is alot more important to me than it is for someone that is in much better shape. I can workout on a crosstrainer at a level of intensity and duration that I can not do on the treadmill.

shakalaka
07-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
Same for me. I always wondered which one was better. I use to always go on the crosstrainer because I found I was losing way more calories and in a shorter amount of time. As well, it was funner then the treadmill. For the treadmill, I can barely run so I just speedwalk at a 4.9 pace. I feel like I lose more fat off the crosstrainers but recently I just walk on the treadmill always. Time to go back to the crosstrainer...

DITTO...exactly the same for me. That's the reason I love the crosstrainers.

snade831
07-04-2006, 11:15 PM
When the eliptical machine was the newest fad in the gym, I jumped on the band wagon. It seemed too good to be true... all the calories being burned w/o even trying. I would barely even sweat. A couple months of that and I started gaining weight. YIKES! Ive been using a treadmil ever since. I love running.

WWJAI
07-05-2006, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by snade831
When the eliptical machine was the newest fad in the gym, I jumped on the band wagon. It seemed too good to be true... all the calories being burned w/o even trying. I would barely even sweat. A couple months of that and I started gaining weight. YIKES! Ive been using a treadmil ever since. I love running.

If your barely sweating, it means you gotta bump up the resistance on it so that you do start sweating. I bump the resistance till its just slightly hard to push on the pedal thingys and then give it around 80% of my all for half an hr. I sweat crazily afterwards. But if running is your personal preference, then big props to you because I wish I could do that for a long periods at a time.

Alex_FORD
07-05-2006, 06:02 PM
When I've done a 60 minute session on the cross trainer, I am ussually soaked from the back of my neck all the way down to my Azzhole. I can drink 1-2 water bottles and still weigh-out lighter than when I weigh-in.