PDA

View Full Version : Travel Lens

davidI
06-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm going to be doing about 10 different 5 week trips over the next 2 years and would like a reasonable lens for my 300D. I already have around 6GB of memory and a couple of batteries as well as a lightweight & compact travel tripod. Unfortunately, I'm still shooting with the kit lens.

I don't really want to have to carry multiple lenses, so I was thinking about purchasing a Canon EF 28-105 F/3.5 - 4.5 IIUSM. I don't want to spend too much on gear, just because I have heard so many horror stories about theft while travelling. I may also pick up a wide angle lens down the line...but right now I just want something reasonably affordable, convenient and that will get the job done. Reviews on this lens on FredMiranda are pretty good...anyone here have experience with this lens? Anyone know where I would get a good price on it?

Ben
06-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Take a 50mm 1.8 with you also, Great for low light, nice and crisp, tiny in size, and a whopping 120 bucks. Makes for wicked photos.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-30-2006, 09:30 PM
If not a 50mm, the 28mm F2.8 is a wider option. The 50mm is a phenomenal lens, but a bit too tight for indoor work on a cropped sensor.

If you were a Nikon shooter, I'd say spring for the 18-200 VR in a second, but alas... :D

lint
06-30-2006, 11:49 PM
where are you going and what will you be shooting? 28 isn't that wide on a 1.6 crop.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-30-2006, 11:58 PM
It may not be super-wide on a crop body, but it's substantially wider than a 50mm, and it's around the same price as the 50mm IIRC. Plus, I'm willing to bet it'll be a fair bit sharper than the kit lens.

lint
07-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
It may not be super-wide on a crop body, but it's substantially wider than a 50mm, and it's around the same price as the 50mm IIRC. Plus, I'm willing to bet it'll be a fair bit sharper than the kit lens.

My comment wasn't in regards to the 28 f2.8 (which I've owned and is far from a stellar performer). It was aimed at his question about the 28-105.

When I was travelling, 24 wasn't wide enough and I'm glad I had my 10-22 with me. On a 1.6 crop, you need at least 17-18mm on the wide end. If you plan on taking the kit lens, then the 28-105 may be a good companion. If you want a 1 lens solution, you might want to look at the sigma 18-125 or the 18-200. Sure you'll lose some image quality, but you get the convenience of a zoom and you spare yourself constantly changing lenses. I brought a 50 f1.8 and used it once in 3 weeks. Since you said you're carrying a tripod, you most likely won't need it unless you know you're going to be taking a lot of low light shots.

davidI
07-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by lint
where are you going and what will you be shooting? 28 isn't that wide on a 1.6 crop.

I will be going to Yemen, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Iceland (hopefully), South Africa, Australia, Argentina/Chile/Peru, Japan/Hong Kong/South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam and hopefully Costa Rica/Belize etc. Basically, everywhere I possibly can go over 10 seperate 5 week trips.

Originally posted by lint

When I was travelling, 24 wasn't wide enough and I'm glad I had my 10-22 with me. On a 1.6 crop, you need at least 17-18mm on the wide end. If you plan on taking the kit lens, then the 28-105 may be a good companion. If you want a 1 lens solution, you might want to look at the sigma 18-125 or the 18-200. Sure you'll lose some image quality, but you get the convenience of a zoom and you spare yourself constantly changing lenses. I brought a 50 f1.8 and used it once in 3 weeks. Since you said you're carrying a tripod, you most likely won't need it unless you know you're going to be taking a lot of low light shots.

I agree I will probably want to buy a wide angle at some point. I find with my kit lens I don't do a lot of shooting on the 18mm side of things...but at the same time for landscapes and perhaps some indoor architecture I will want a wide angle that works in low light.

Should I even bother buying the lenses before I travel or are they cheaper overseas?? Looking at U.S. prices it seems like we pay a lot more, especially with the strength of our dollar.

lint
07-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by davidI

I will be going to Yemen, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Iceland (hopefully), South Africa, Australia, Argentina/Chile/Peru, Japan/Hong Kong/South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam and hopefully Costa Rica/Belize etc. Basically, everywhere I possibly can go over 10 seperate 5 week trips.

I agree I will probably want to buy a wide angle at some point. I find with my kit lens I don't do a lot of shooting on the 18mm side of things...but at the same time for landscapes and perhaps some indoor architecture I will want a wide angle that works in low light.

Should I even bother buying the lenses before I travel or are they cheaper overseas?? Looking at U.S. prices it seems like we pay a lot more, especially with the strength of our dollar.

Prices are cheaper in the states. You won't find lenses any cheaper elsewhere. Europe is much more expensive.

Buy your lens(es) now. Test them out, know what they can and cannot do. If you're not satisfied, sell and get something else. Be prepared when you travel. Last thing you want to do is pick up a lens when travelling and then find that it's soft, or there are focus problems, or you just don't find it that useful etc. Find out what focal lengths you use the most. There will always be tradeoffs. Image quality vs cost vs convenience.

My kit was the 10-22 and 24-105, with the 24-105 being the work horse. But there are times when you want wiiiiiiiide, and that's where the 10-22 comes in, and I find I use it most at the 10-12mm end. I like the funky perspectives you can get with it. Also there are no real low light wide angels, unless you're going to consider a 14mm f2.8. They all range from f3.5-4.5 or f4. Another companion to your kit lens (which isn't that bad when stopped down) is the tamron 24-135 for a little added range.

D'z Nutz
07-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by davidI
I don't really want to have to carry multiple lenses, so I was thinking about purchasing a Canon EF 28-105 F/3.5 - 4.5 IIUSM.

<snip>

Reviews on this lens on FredMiranda are pretty good...anyone here have experience with this lens? Anyone know where I would get a good price on it?

I think this is a really good lens. It's super cheap, has a wide range of focal lengths, and still produces some really decent quality especially given its price. It's a very underrated lens. That was my main walkaround lens for a portion of last year and sold it to DJ Lazy. You shouldn't have problems finding a used copy for less than $200. If you're looking into getting this lens, make sure you get the MkII version (metal mount). If I'm not mistaken, the MkI version was the kit lens for old film cameras and was a pretty shitty lens. I read that there's actually two versions of the MkII as well and the one that's recommended is the one with the flower logo on it. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I had that version.

Pair that up with the 50mm f/1.8 and you've got a good pair of budget lenses for most situations.

A couple other lenses you may also want to look into are the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF IS USM and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di.

davidI
07-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I think this is a really good lens. It's super cheap, has a wide range of focal lengths, and still produces some really decent quality especially given its price. It's a very underrated lens. That was my main walkaround lens for a portion of last year and sold it to DJ Lazy. You shouldn't have problems finding a used copy for less than $200. If you're looking into getting this lens, make sure you get the MkII version (metal mount). If I'm not mistaken, the MkI version was the kit lens for old film cameras and was a pretty shitty lens. I read that there's actually two versions of the MkII as well and the one that's recommended is the one with the flower logo on it. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I had that version.

Pair that up with the 50mm f/1.8 and you've got a good pair of budget lenses for most situations.

A couple other lenses you may also want to look into are the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF IS USM and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di.

Thanks for the info! You really know your stuff. Unfortunately, I'm leaving in 9 days so I don't have a ton of time to shop around or find a used copy. This is the lens I was looking at. It doesn't say it's MKII but can anyone tell from the picture?? I'll probably just go down after work today and check it out.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=23129

D'z Nutz
07-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Yup, that's it. Even says so in the description's title. The Mk I was pretty poorly made, so there's no mistaking it. IIRC, it even had a plastic body! haha

davidI
07-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Yup, that's it. Even says so in the description's title. The Mk I was pretty poorly made, so there's no mistaking it. IIRC, it even had a plastic body! haha

Sweet! Thanks D'z Nutz!