PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Villaneuva traded for TJ Ford

RiCE-DaDDy
06-30-2006, 09:41 PM
BC making some big moves! As much as I like Charlie, I like this trade.

projected lineup?
1: ford/barret
2. mo pete/graham
3. graham/tucker
4. bosh/bargnani
5. rasho/bargnani

beecue
06-30-2006, 10:05 PM
the trade is good as long as ford doesnt get hurt :)

habsfan
06-30-2006, 10:05 PM
provided he can stay healthy...ford is a solid player for sure. i do worry a bit about his health issues in the past. CV is going to be a great player, i just hope ford proves he's worthy

RiCE-DaDDy
06-30-2006, 10:06 PM
barring injuries, i can see ford's ceiling is the same as charlie if not higher

xin
06-30-2006, 10:35 PM
At least TO has a pure point guard now. I agree if Ford stays healthy he can contribute quite a bit. While not as explosive as his college days, he can still beat a lot of other PG off the dribble.

5hift
06-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Ford is going to be a good reliable pass first type point guard, but I dont see him being anything special. On the other hand I see Charlie Villanueva blowing up and making Toronto wish they kept him. I hope its not true, but this also looks like the end of Mike James in Toronto.

Si_FlyGuy
07-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Wish they could've kept Charlie V, but this was a good trade. Now they need to get some veteran leadership from a winning team to help the young guys...and maybe a Ben Wallace wouldn't hurt either.:)

What a way to get us excited for the upcoming season!

RiCE-DaDDy
07-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
Ford is going to be a good reliable pass first type point guard, but I dont see him being anything special. On the other hand I see Charlie Villanueva blowing up and making Toronto wish they kept him. I hope its not true, but this also looks like the end of Mike James in Toronto.

Charlie villanueava will be special. Colangelo knows this, but he also knows, to impriove the team, there are costs. You guys are underestimating the talent of TJ Ford, I can see in his prime this guy can score 18ppg while dishing out 8 apg.

Oz-
07-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Like Rice-Daddy says, CV will be a very good player. TO needed a PG and Ford fills that spot. Mike James was not returning and he couldn't enter the season with sub-journeymen in the PG position.

anarchy
07-01-2006, 10:18 AM
I was shocked to read this at first, didn't think BC would be willing to part with CV31 but I really like Ford. He's not injury prone, he just had a freak accident with his spine, and he's shown last year that he's healthy and ready to come back and play. He helped lead the Bucks back to the playoffs so he's definitely a good PG. I really wanted to see how Charlie would develop with the Raps, but this makes a lot of sense for the team. I'm interested to see what they do on the FA market, maybe finding someone to fill the 3 if Joey Graham can't cut it.

gerrycurl21
07-01-2006, 10:39 AM
It probaly cause he has no eyebrows.

Where is Mike James headed? Or he's still just not signed yet.

anarchy
07-01-2006, 10:46 AM
James is still not signed, but he's hinted he wants to go back to Houston.

beecue
07-01-2006, 11:47 AM
sign and trade for mike james would be good ... haha i dont know why he wants to go to houston .. they didnt want him thats why hes in toronto

anarchy
07-01-2006, 11:56 AM
I think his wife is from Houston and they loved the city, and the Rockets are idiots for taking Rafer over him anyways.

PGTze
07-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Good trade, TJ Ford will be good for the Raps. Colangelo has already done better than all the previous GM's combined.

It's funny how all those people in the other thread were saying they would keep all three big guys lol.

xin
07-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Mike games is an aging guard, he plays more two guard than point. Who the hell would give this guy the long term deal that he wants. I think hes 30 or 31 already. I swear hes just a one year wonder. If he goes back to Houston he will get burried behind the Yao Ming-McGrady-Battier rotation. If skip stays healthy for a whole season he would do better.

brettg
07-01-2006, 01:41 PM
i dont really like this deal, cv was great in his rookie year, and is only gona get better. i guess just like him better personally. ford will help the raptors i guess but will he do as much as cv did last year, we will have to see.

beecue
07-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Colangelo strongly suggested this week he's not interested in bringing back free agent guard Mike James, but is open to doing a sign and trade. With nearly $13 million in cap room, Colangelo can now go after a small forward like free agent Peja Stojakovic.

that would be nice .. since mike james doesnt want to come back .. might as well get someone good for him

i like this lineup .

ford
mo pete
peja
bosh
bergnani :D

beecue
07-02-2006, 12:07 AM
boooooooo peja is gone .. i wonder if the raps have a chance at ben wallace .. would be awesome

bigboom
07-02-2006, 12:48 AM
as much as TO needed a point guard im pretty sure they could have got much more then TJ Ford in return for cv...i think its a bad trade.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by bigboom
as much as TO needed a point guard im pretty sure they could have got much more then TJ Ford in return for cv...i think its a bad trade.

Like I said, you guys underestimate TJ Ford.

1. Real PG's are hard to find, especially the ones with the talent of Ford.

2. Scoring SF, Tweeners are a dime a dozen, especially ones that play bad defense ..ahem... Charlie V.

yea charlie V will improve and become a force in the league, but so will ford. T.O. just solidified their PG position for the next 10 years. Even if colangelp kept charlie, theres no way we gonna keep him after his rookie contract

bigboom
07-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

Like I said, you guys underestimate TJ Ford.

1. Real PG's are hard to find, especially the ones with the talent of Ford.

2. Scoring SF, Tweeners are a dime a dozen, especially ones that play bad defense ..ahem... Charlie V.

yea charlie V will improve and become a force in the league, but so will ford. T.O. just solidified their PG position for the next 10 years. Even if colangelp kept charlie, theres no way we gonna keep him after his rookie contract

dont get me wrong i love tj ford...he's quick, he can dish and i believe he is gonna be awesome. but its the intangible quality of CV that makes me like him, he leaves it out there on the floor and TO needed him at the SF spot...it would have been a killer line up with:

2.Mo pete
3.CV
4.CB4
5.Rasho

thats why i was hoping the brevin knight deal would have worked out...

RiCE-DaDDy
07-02-2006, 01:03 PM
^

If only CV can play the 3. The reality is he can't and hes a PF.

gerrycurl21
07-02-2006, 03:27 PM
i tells ya, Colangelo prefers eyebrows

bigboom
07-02-2006, 05:00 PM
^

If only CV can play the 3. The reality is he can't and hes a PF.

but they were grooming him to play the 3...he may not have been quick enough but look at antoine walker, they play him at the 3 and CV is similar in speed and mobility.

only thing is Ford is tiny...isnt he like 160 pounds? that body is gonna take a lot of abuse like AI.

CKY
07-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by anarchy
James is still not signed, but he's hinted he wants to go back to Houston.

Anyone hear the rumors about Dallas wanted Mike James in a sign and trade? I heard we were getting Daniels in return but only problem is Dallas doesn't have the cap room to sign everyone on their roster AND Mike James.

I liked Charlie alot, he was a great guy on and off the court. Even though his defense was weak and it's hard fitting a tweener like him in our roster which is lacking in defense already.

Lets hope TJ becomes the 1 spot stud he's projected to be. I remember watching a Raps vs Bucks game last season and Ford took an amazing jump shot in CB4's face.

In Coangelo we trust.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-03-2006, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by bigboom

but they were grooming him to play the 3...he may not have been quick enough but look at antoine walker, they play him at the 3 and CV is similar in speed and mobility.

only thing is Ford is tiny...isnt he like 160 pounds? that body is gonna take a lot of abuse like AI.

no way, walker is way faster and he his HANDLES are light years better than charlie. Bottom line is CV's game is a PF with some outside game.

Sometimes, you can't just groom a player against his talent. Look at Ryan Gomes, hes only 6-7 and the Celtics played him at the 3 and he was horrbile. They moved him to the 4 and he was avging a double double.

Anyone hear the rumors about Dallas wanted Mike James in a sign and trade? I heard we were getting Daniels in return but only problem is Dallas doesn't have the cap room to sign everyone on their roster AND Mike James.

But why would Dallas want James anyways? they don't need another shoot first point guard if they have Terry already. And they won'y sign him for Marquis money just to be a backup.

beecue
07-03-2006, 10:43 AM
^^ who cares ahha .. if they want him its all good .. daniels would be nice for the raps :D ... havent heard anything about it but if its true .. i like it

rtsen
07-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I heard that rumor, Anthony likes James toughness and wants to play him with Terry.

It was the raptors that said no to the sign and trade though. Looks like he's going to Houton now.

bigboom
07-03-2006, 10:50 AM

no way, walker is way faster and he his HANDLES are light years better than charlie. Bottom line is CV's game is a PF with some outside game.

Sometimes, you can't just groom a player against his talent. Look at Ryan Gomes, hes only 6-7 and the Celtics played him at the 3 and he was horrbile. They moved him to the 4 and he was avging a double double.

But why would Dallas want James anyways? they don't need another shoot first point guard if they have Terry already. And they won'y sign him for Marquis money just to be a backup.

i admit walker's handle is a lot better than cv's but speed wise i think he would have been perfect for this new running offence that it seems like colangelo is implementing...

and the raps need to let james go or sign him and make him play 2 guard...he sucks at running an offence.

DelSoln
07-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by rtsen

It was the raptors that said no to the sign and trade though. Looks like he's going to Houton now.

Good! If Yao and McGrady can both stay healthy they finally now have the 3rd scoring option they desperately needed. Also with the added defensive toughness supplied by Battier this team will once again be a contender in the West.

CKY
07-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln

Good! If Yao and McGrady can both stay healthy they finally now have the 3rd scoring option they desperately needed. Also with the added defensive toughness supplied by Battier this team will once again be a contender in the West. '

They were fine and they'll be fine as long as Mc"ohmybacksucksass"Grady stays healthy

5hift
07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Here's Espn's Bill Simmons view of the trade...

Disregard Ford's scary spinal cord problems, that he can't shoot to save his life, that he's a free agent two years earlier than Villanueva, even that he lost crunch-time minutes to Charlie Bell last season. Again, I want you to disregard everything in that sentence. From a pure basketball standpoint, since when is a young point guard worth as much as a young power forward who can rebound and shoot 3s? When has that EVER been the case? How fast did the Bucks' front office say yes to this trade? 0.79 seconds? 1.2 seconds? Did they say, "Hold on, we'll discuss this and call you back in a few hours," then hang up and start pouring champagne on one another? If somebody made this deal in my fantasy league, I would have protested it.

Gotta say I agree with it, but hopefully as a Raps fan I'm wrong.

anarchy
07-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Interesting perspective. I can understand that the trade in itself may look a bit lopsided for the bucks, but there are more factors that come into play. Most importantly, the excess of big men for the Raps and the dire need for a PG.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-07-2006, 02:17 PM
^ exactly.

I don't think people realize that Raps can't have Bargnani/Bosh/Villy all on the same team. One of them HAS to go and of course it aint Bosh lol.

5hift
07-07-2006, 02:22 PM
^ exactly.

I don't think people realize that Raps can't have Bargnani/Bosh/Villy all on the same team. One of them HAS to go and of course it aint Bosh lol.

I realize Charlie was the one who had to go, but for TJ Ford? If we had to deal with the Bucks, we should have at least gotten TO native Maglore (sp?). The Bucks dont want him and he's a much better option than Rasho.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-07-2006, 05:57 PM
^ well magloire's contract is uglier than rasho's

5hift
07-07-2006, 06:06 PM
^ well magloire's contract is uglier than rasho's

Except Rasho plays scared and does not contribute much, where as when given the chance to start and he's healthy, Magloire has shown he can be a all star center.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Raps wouldn't want magloire because:
- His contract is ugly and demands too much on the market
- his contract ends next year and raps wont sign him, Where will they get the money??
- not a good transition center. You can say that bout rasho, but rasho is just a filler
- UHHH have u forgotten about Bargnani? Raps future 5 lol.

it's pretty clear cut man. Magloire's good but he doesn't fit in the raptors plans.

okayplyer
07-09-2006, 12:58 AM
^ exactly.

But be realistic. Bosh will be a free agent next year and chances of his staying don't look good. No sane player in the NBA wants to play in Canada. Lakers have shown considerable interest in Bosh. You just know he's gonna be leaving.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-09-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by okayplyer

But be realistic. Bosh will be a free agent next year and chances of his staying don't look good. No sane player in the NBA wants to play in Canada. Lakers have shown considerable interest in Bosh. You just know he's gonna be leaving.

LOL how much you wanna bet? Go back and suck on kobe's nuts some more

beecue
07-09-2006, 02:02 AM
bosh already agreed to extension and he wants to be in t.o .. will be made official on the 12th hopefully

anarchy
07-09-2006, 02:17 AM
^
Exactly!

And I don't see why everyone's bashing TJ Ford. Personally I thought he had a great comeback season with the Bucks and possesses a lot of skills that TO has been lacking since Damon Stoudamire. I'm excited to see how he makes the Raps a better team, especially Bosh.

pinoyhero
07-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

Couldn't have sai it beter myself, CV just starts to pivk it up in the secind half and then they dump him. They took a huge gamble drafting him that early and it looked like it was about to pay off not sure why they got rid of him. TJ's decent and they need a PG but I don't think they got enough for the versatile young CV in the mediocre, injury prone TJ.