PDA

View Full Version : difficulty find a good tire in this spec

v2kai
07-01-2006, 06:11 PM
185/55/R14 edit: just this spec
mytires had them in Khumo 712's at a sweet price for me but i've read mixed reviews in other threads and online.....
i had some coopers in the first specs before and i actually really liked em

i want either summer performance or a good quality all season....i'm just having such a hard time finding a brand with these specs with decent performance. so far all i got is the khumos

anyone know of any other brands, or have a link to a site i can do a search for em. cms search on tires didnt get me any results...=/
help?:confused: please and thanks

xrayvsn
07-01-2006, 06:18 PM
185/55 and 185/50 are two different rolling dimensions. Which of the two is it, or did you mean 195/50? Is it for the civic in your avatar?

v2kai
07-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
185/55 and 185/50 are two different rolling dimensions. Which of the two is it, or did you mean 195/50? Is it for the civic in your avatar?

i'm confused please elaborate...i need to learn still :P

xrayvsn
07-01-2006, 06:23 PM
The 185 refers to the width of the contact patch, in mm. The second number, the aspect ratio is a percentage. It tells you how much sidewall there is as a percentage of the contact patch.

A 185/55 tire has a wider diameter than a 185/50 tire.

You did not tell us if the tires are for a Civic. I think 185/55/14 is the wrong size for that application, and your speedo is probably off.

Edit: Just checked, the OE tire size for 14" Civic tires is 185/60/14, so you are running tires that have a smaller rolling diameter than stock.

v2kai
07-01-2006, 09:25 PM
i've got 60's on now....but i want the sidewalls lower...

xrayvsn
07-02-2006, 12:36 AM
If you want to keep the speedo/odometer close to accurate, the only way to reduce the sidewall height will be to go to a wider diameter rim. If you are set on going with the size you want, and running a smaller diameter than stock, then I guess go with the Kumho 712. I had a set, and I thought they were a good tire. They improved the ride on my car over the OEM Michelins by a huge margin.

Personally, I would stick with the stock sizing unless you are going to get a set for autocross and want to have the lower gear ratio of smaller diameter tires. You will have far more choice in tires and the speedo won't be off by 8 - 10% if you stick with the stock size.

GTS Jeff
07-02-2006, 02:48 AM
Toyo T1S and T1R have the sizes you're looking for.

yellowsnow
07-02-2006, 04:41 AM
i just put some kumho 712 on my car, and i have no complaints.. good tire for the cost

v2kai
07-02-2006, 01:24 PM
cool thanks for the inputs, i'll check gts jeff's tires so at least i got a few more options....it'll put my speedo out, so i'll actually be going faster than the readout right? or am i back to front....

xrayvsn
07-02-2006, 04:12 PM
You'll be going slower than the readout. For every revolution your wheel is turning, there will be less distance covered.

v2kai
07-02-2006, 07:19 PM
thanks for the clarification....i was sitting there visualising big and small spinning circles:D my brain is dead. much easier this way lol

tirebob
07-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
The 185 refers to the width of the contact patch, in mm. The second number, the aspect ratio is a percentage. It tells you how much sidewall there is as a percentage of the contact patch.

A 185/55 tire has a wider diameter than a 185/50 tire.

You did not tell us if the tires are for a Civic. I think 185/55/14 is the wrong size for that application, and your speedo is probably off.

Edit: Just checked, the OE tire size for 14" Civic tires is 185/60/14, so you are running tires that have a smaller rolling diameter than stock.

Just to clarify this a bit... The 185 is not actually in reference to the contact patch, but instead refers to the overall section width (widest point across the tire) of the tire in mm's. The contact patch is actually narrower than the section width. The following diagram gives a better idea of what I mean...

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tiretech/70_series.gif http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tiretech/tire_dimen.gif

v2kai
07-04-2006, 06:57 PM
cooool i'm learning outside of school, thanks cmsbob:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
07-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
cool thanks for the inputs, i'll check gts jeff's tires so at least i got a few more options....it'll put my speedo out, so i'll actually be going faster than the readout right? or am i back to front.... Who are you and why do you keep dropping my name like an A-bomb all over the place?

But yeah, go with the Toyos. They are more expensive, but are way stickier tires.

xrayvsn
07-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by CMSbob

Just to clarify this a bit... The 185 is not actually in reference to the contact patch, but instead refers to the overall section width (widest point across the tire) of the tire in mm's. The contact patch is actually narrower than the section width. The following diagram gives a better idea of what I mean...

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tiretech/70_series.gif http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tiretech/tire_dimen.gif

Cool, I was misinformed. Thanks man.