PDA

View Full Version : Best way to learn manual.

gohan_bcc
07-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Is there anyway to rent one or how should I go about learning manual.

No cars at home to practice on.

Need to learn asap.

fluid
07-01-2006, 10:55 PM
well its obvious tht driving one is the best way to learn, i taught myself how to drive one, jus keep in mind a couple things.
Let off the clutch slow when ur in first, and reverse.....jus think of how it works, the clutch engages the engine to the transmission, so if u try to let go right away your engine doesnt have enough power to move, so it will stall.
have fun, standard is 1000 times better than auto

gohan_bcc
07-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by fluid
well its obvious tht driving one is the best way to learn, i taught myself how to drive one, jus keep in mind a couple things.
Let off the clutch slow when ur in first, and reverse.....jus think of how it works, the clutch engages the engine to the transmission, so if u try to let go right away your engine doesnt have enough power to move, so it will stall.
have fun, standard is 1000 times better than auto

so i've heard.

Audio_Rookie
07-01-2006, 11:18 PM
I assume you have a valid class 5 drive license?
rent a manual car....or sign up for drivers training.
The only way your gonna learn is by driving a car, I suggest a big open parking lot...deerfoot mall is pretty open on sundays usually....thats where I learned first.

natejj
07-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Just drive around your nieghbourhood. Practice going into first up and down your driveway, thats the hardest. Shouldnt take you more then a day to master it. If it does, well you must be a woman!:rofl:

WWJAI
07-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Just drive around your nieghbourhood. Practice going into first up and down your driveway, thats the hardest. Shouldnt take you more then a day to master it. If it does, well you must be a woman!:rofl:

Then i'm guessing there's alot of men that are women on this thread. I don't believe it takes a day to master it as it takes practice master it. It can take a day of getting a hang of it but to say your perfect at it, in a day...you must be joking.

If you really can't get a friends car or relatives car to practice on, I suggest you get a friend and both of you hit up a used car dealership which allows you guys to take the car for a test drive without the salesman coming along and then have your friend show you some tips and then switch and use a bit of what you've learned.

snade831
07-02-2006, 12:04 AM
got any frineds that drive standard?

topmade
07-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by natejj

:werd: if your driveway has a decline like most do, run up and down, like put it in first, and crawl up the driveway, then let it fall down and try to catch it with just the gears and no brakes. If you can master that, they the other gears should be a cinch as it's hard to stall a car after 1st

SilverBoost
07-02-2006, 12:20 AM
It takes more than a day to learn how to drive a manual.

Going through the motions is teh simple part. Driving a manual without actually thining abuot every gear you're in takes time, and in my opinion it's only when you don't have to think abuot your shifts that you are really comfortable.

Also, different cars have different clutch feels, as do performance clutches vs. stock clutches. And you could learn on one manual and drive it pretty reasonably, but then get in another car and stall it immediately. It takes time to get comfortable. Personally though I think everyone shoudl have to learn on a manual first because it teaches you to think more about your driving. Autmatics can allow you to wanda a lot easier - only my opinion of course.

My first car I purchased was a manual even though I learned on an automatic. I couldn't even drive it home. Had to get the guy to delivery it to my house so I could practice on my street. That was over 12 years ago and I feel pretty comfy in one now obviosuly but it did take a good month or so as I recall to get really comfortable with it. I did go take out a few used cars for test drives beforehand to get the basic feel of it though I'll admit. :D

gohan_bcc
07-02-2006, 12:22 AM
k thanks. know anywhere where i can rent a manual car.

im pretty sure most wouldnt do it for that reason.

i plan on buying a new Mazda 3 so I'd prefer to learn beforehand.

ga16i
07-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Remember, the car will only stall if the revs fall too low, so rev it high and you'll never stall :D

Well... probably don't want to do it anymore than 2k rpm, I prefer 1.5k rpm as my minimum revs that I want to be in.

Goggle
07-02-2006, 01:01 AM
A big part of manual is learning the sounds of your vehicle and having the sort of confidence that allows you to operate your vehicle with a clear mind. After running the vehicle for a while that should come naturally. At first though it can be easy to get frustrated which is why so few people run a manual, I think.

$lick_rYz
07-02-2006, 01:46 AM
get a job in a hand carwash, thats how i learned it. there is a hand carwash on 32nd ave. they pay shitty but driving all those nice cars make it all worth it. (porsches, range rovers, beamers, benz, jags, hummers jus to name a few)

nederlande
07-02-2006, 02:06 AM
i learned at kramer mazda drivin rx8s

jcrules99
07-02-2006, 02:07 AM
i am 90% sure the major car rental companies dont rent out manuals due to the maintenance issue, most ppl dont know how to drive standard properly lol so you should try and get one of your friends to teach you

3G
07-02-2006, 03:30 AM
buy some pos older accord like i did, learn on it then sell it or chuck it

black_2.5RS
07-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Go to a driving school. Don't recall it costing that much to learn w/ an instructor. You shouldn't need to buy more than an hour or two of time.

SC2
07-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by gohan_bcc
k thanks. know anywhere where i can rent a manual car.

im pretty sure most wouldnt do it for that reason.

i plan on buying a new Mazda 3 so I'd prefer to learn beforehand.

I was trying to find a maunal car to rent, and I could not find one. The reason: autos will last longer, because people are wearing out the clutch.

Except an exotic car.

nederlande
07-02-2006, 09:20 AM
wen u buy a performant ride then you should get a standard

mazda 3 ... stick wit auto bud

ga16i
07-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by nederlande

nah, once you go manual you can't go back. With a manual you can drive any car to its fullest potential :D

Dren
07-02-2006, 09:41 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131016&highlight=teach+standard

Some members posted some great tips..on learning..hope this Helps..

98brg2d
07-02-2006, 12:41 PM

Normally "performant rides" suffer less than compact cars from having an automatic transmission (think supras, corvettes etc) because the transmissions are usually much more sophisticated.

I think small cars should be manual only (unless it is a purpose built drag car) because you need to control the rpms to keep it making enough power to drive safely in traffic. A lot of small cars with manual transmissions will pick up as much as a second in the quarter mile over the automatic counterpart although newer cars are getting much closer.

Go practice with a friends car in a parking lot. They will know the car and be able to tell you how to drive around the little quirks that that specific car has.

In my experience, some of the easiest cars to drive are civics, proteges and neons (2000+ due to the exclusive use of modular clutches, 95-99 had a mix of standard and modular).

b_t
07-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Practice just letting the clutch out without even touching the gas and moving around like that. Takes delicate control and if you spend a long time practicing that, you won't sound like a moron when you ride your clutch taking off..

googe
07-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ga16i
Remember, the car will only stall if the revs fall too low, so rev it high and you'll never stall :D

Well... probably don't want to do it anymore than 2k rpm, I prefer 1.5k rpm as my minimum revs that I want to be in.

haha dont listen to this guy. rev it high and yyoull be going through way too many clutches. 1.5k should be the MAXIMUM. learn to move the car forward and back without going over 1500 rpm. anything more than that causes excessive clutch wear and isnt necessary.

Lexxan
07-02-2006, 01:53 PM
I highly suggest flooring the gas and releasing the clutch on your driveway :thumbsup:

88CRXGUY
07-02-2006, 02:41 PM
To the comment above me, you do that and then you are going to be doing a burnout. Hopefully you don't have a garage then you will end up in it, thats a dumb thing to do if you are new at manual.

Yeah you don't want exessive ware on your cluctch and then you will be replacing it quicker than what you need too. Every car is going to be different, different times of shifting etc. Yeah so just get some pos and take it into a parking lot and go nuts. If you fuck it up then so be it, better fucking it up on there then in your new mazda. It takes longer than just a day to learn, just practice as much as you can, and you will get it in no time.

frostyda9
07-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Watch this video and realize that you will not master driving stick in a day...and that there is a possibility that the majority of people will spend their entire life driving and not fully master it ;)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2216488882026047768&q=quattro

natejj
07-02-2006, 04:18 PM
yeah yeah yeah i GET IT, you wont MASTER it in 1 day, but you will LEARN it!

Sheesh you people are monsters.

88CRXGUY
07-03-2006, 05:06 PM
We just want to make sure you have the right information thats all...

WWJAI
07-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9
Watch this video and realize that you will not master driving stick in a day...and that there is a possibility that the majority of people will spend their entire life driving and not fully master it ;)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2216488882026047768&q=quattro

I can honestly say that I will probably be one of those people.

90Tegra
07-03-2006, 10:02 PM
just keep driving and stallin till u get the hang of it.

frostyda9
07-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI

I can honestly say that I will probably be one of those people.

Well, if people can learn to do a standard heel + toe like this guy, that's probably good...the left foot braking is a little over the top for your 7AM Deerfoot commute :D Double clutching is pretty old school now as just about everything has synchros on all gears, or doesn't even need a clutch at all :nut:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6837150333096546791