PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticing as a welder

dub_c
07-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Alright, I've come to the conclusion of what I wanna do for a career, and I've chosen welding. Now, how do I apprentice or what do I do to become one ? I haven't actually been given a good chunk of info, rather a bunch of tid bits that didn't really make sense to me. So if you can help me out, I appreciate it.

brownchild
07-02-2006, 12:26 PM
www.tradesecrets.org, really helpful website for every trade. Try going into a Pre Trades program from sait or somewhere else.

gimp
07-03-2006, 10:21 PM
want some practise? i got a small project i'm working on that could use some welding ;)

Graham_A_M
07-03-2006, 10:24 PM
^ Any places that are hiring apprentices? ANYWHERE in Alberta? I'm looking too.

dankish1
07-03-2006, 10:31 PM
my uncle is head of the union. he is hooking me up with a job:)
im getting really sick of driving packers
i will get the job line # it tells u everywhere that is looking

Rockski
07-04-2006, 11:02 AM
the best thing to do is join the union, not the clack,. the acutal UA union

welders fall into almost ever metal trade union

boilermakers
pipefitteres
electritians
ect...

you join the union, have a copy of your high school transcripts (or if no, be prepared to do an entrance exam). you pass your test then you go to "Call Out", where your stuck in a rooml with a bunch of people who are waiting for a job.

once you get your slip (which is your contract to work) you go take your piss test if the companny requires it (most companies have a pre access and then a post incident one, dont get in an accident and you wont have to worry about another piss test till you get laid off)

get paid to go through job site orientation, rest of the day off, come in the next morning

it takes alot of hassle out of finding somebody to sponsor you, BUT, if you dont get in the right shop, be prepared to be pushing brooms and doing "spark watch" the ideal place for a permit welder to end up is a fab shop doing 6 tens, that way you can afford to go to school early (ive been welding since october and ive already got my first year of school under my belt)

good luck man, the UA is the way to go.... i dont know about the welding situation down in calgary, but up here in edmonton, EVERYBODY wants a welder thats why i moved up here and remember to save some cash for you other years of schooling, because you dont wanna be a welder forever, you wanna be done by the time your 40, and move onto another trade like pipe fitting.

good luck man

Audio_Rookie
07-04-2006, 11:14 AM
There are jobs everywhere guys, you just got to apply....get out a phone book and print off a bunch, then take a drive.

I am in Lethbridge, the slow point of alberta, I just drove around to all the welding shops in town. Got to speak with the Foreman at Bel-aire welding and he says they already have 5 apprentice welders working. He said if I dont mind doing some general labour for a couple months, and show I can work hard, he would apprentice me and count the few months into my apprenticeship.

The HR guy just has to get back so he can get me to sign the papers :).

bigbadboss101
07-04-2006, 11:46 AM
My roommate is working for Sangel. Check with them.

Unknown303
07-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
My roommate is working for Sangel. Check with them.

Not nit picking here, but is it Sanjel?

I second the hitting up everyplace under the sun. just drop of resumes, face to face conversations go over way better than phone calls.

dub_c
07-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Alright, I'm kind of nervous since I have no clue what I'm doing lol, but from what I gathered, is that I should just go apply at places, and ask if they're accepting apprentices ? I've only arc welded, and from what everyone seen is that I can do very good.

Audio_Rookie
07-07-2006, 12:48 PM
I be starting on monday :). Too bad my first year I will only be making about 12$/hr. Money isnt as good here in Lethbridge, but I figure its a good place to get my B-pressure and journeyman...then I can move wherever and make some big $$.

Bel-aire here in Lethbridge is looking for a couple more people to apprentice if anyone is interested. Seems like a really good bunch of guys. They also pay for schooling and you get EI while going to school.

Eric G.

Rockski
07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
the money in lethbridge would be as good as everywhere else if it was union there

im a first year at 18.69 up until my anniversary day in october, since my school is already done

plus if you pass school, the union pays for it, and you also get EI

plus better saftey conditions in a union shop. ive been at a scab shop before, and personally, i dont think that a first year should be welding on B pressure work... scab shops are the worst place you can think of i mean come on, if there isnt a grinder gaurd on EVERY grinder in the shop, get the fuck outta there.

plus, in a scab shop, are they paying a pension fo you? didnt think so

Audio_Rookie
07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
"im a first year at 18.69"

There is no way you can make that kind of money here as a first year welder. Not even your second year.... Not at any shop I can find here anyways... journeyman are 20$/hr here...

There are guards on all grinders :) and I get benifits....dont know about pension.

Rockski
07-07-2006, 02:29 PM
hahaha, seriously i get 18.69 as a first year

journeyman get 32 minimum

plus there's another raise comming around in october, so ill be over 21 as a second year.

but that all depends on whether i wanna stick it out with 488 or go with the 720 or 725 iron workers. then as a second year with a CWB (which i can pass right now as a first year, they just wont let me take it) ill be at 32$ an hour as a second year:D

see thats the plus side of unions that nobody seems to realize, you get paid SOOO much more, if every welder out there was union we could set our own wages

legendboy
07-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Rockski
if every welder out there was union we could set our own wages

ya and bankrupt every welding business :rolleyes:

Rockski
07-08-2006, 02:08 AM
its not the business that pays, its the oil company

BerserkerCatSplat
07-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
"im a first year at 18.69"

There is no way you can make that kind of money here as a first year welder. Not even your second year.... Not at any shop I can find here anyways... journeyman are 20$/hr here...

There are guards on all grinders :) and I get benifits....dont know about pension.

I can vouch for Rockski, he isn't bullshitting.

Audio_Rookie
07-08-2006, 11:42 AM
O I believe him, and perhaps I should look into moving further north if I can make near double than down here.

Its just, in lethbridge its not possible to make that kinda cash first year.

Rockski
07-08-2006, 11:44 AM
are there any union shops?

Audio_Rookie
07-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I cant find any. Is there some list of all union welding shops in alberta somewhere?

Rockski
07-08-2006, 11:51 AM
could be, the best thing for you to do is look in the phone book for a UA hall, then go down and see if welding is part of the trades involved.... even the electrician hall needs welders, the best place to be for unions is up in edmonton though. mind you there is still a couple in calgary, but not even half of the jobs are union

nonofyobiz
07-10-2006, 04:29 PM
I've been thinking about switching careers and getting into welding as well. I'ts ahard decision b/c i've been out of school and only wokring for about a year now.

My brother started welding 5 years ago, ...he expects to make around 200k this year doing contract work. He drives out the rigs and does work. I think he was making over $25 as a journeymen and not long after that he started his own company, built up his truck, and now he makes like $80 / hr or something stupid like that. He says it's just stupid what they are paying up there. If I would have listend to him 4 years ago I would rollin right now too. :(

nonofyobiz
07-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Rockski
the money in lethbridge would be as good as everywhere else if it was union there

im a first year at 18.69 up until my anniversary day in october, since my school is already done

plus if you pass school, the union pays for it, and you also get EI

plus better saftey conditions in a union shop. ive been at a scab shop before, and personally, i dont think that a first year should be welding on B pressure work... scab shops are the worst place you can think of i mean come on, if there isnt a grinder gaurd on EVERY grinder in the shop, get the fuck outta there.

plus, in a scab shop, are they paying a pension fo you? didnt think so

So is this a good route to take for someone who has no experience in the industry?

From what I understood of the process is you go find a company that will apprentice you, work for a few months and they'll send you to school.

Is it really difficult to find someone to take you on?
Is there a chance that after working for months and months the company will drag their as.s in sending you to school?

Any insight anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm seriously thinking of dropping everything i've done up to now and getting into welding. Just not too sure how at this point. If i do make the switch i want to be sure that i'm doing things the right way.

Edit : Also, if anyone can give the names of some companies that hire apprentice welders with no experience and are willing to trian from the start, that would help also. Preferably oilfied related stuff. :nut:

Rockski
07-12-2006, 01:25 PM
the way i mentioned is the way ive gone, and i hadnt welded or used a grinder before ever, adn they still took me on,

i got enough money to pay for school on my own, but my union hall will fully re emburse me