PDA

View Full Version : Brake bleeding problems

freakin
07-02-2006, 09:15 PM
I can't get my brakes to work after upgrading everything. I bled out all of the fluid, then filled it back up again. I think that was my first mistake. At the same time I upgraded my brakes to a larger size, so all of the lines were opened. Afterwards, I bled all 4 corners in the order that's in my FSM and that seemed fine....no air, just fluid. The pedal just goes to the floor and the car just barely stops. I figured that I may have damaged the master cylinder by pumping the fluid and pushing the pedal too far. The MC is replaced and still no luck.

Any ideas? I've heard of some shops having specific tools designed to bleed the system from the master cylinder....does anyone have something like this to try on my car?

*edit* forgot to mention that the new MC was bench bled.

racin_jayson
07-02-2006, 10:23 PM
I had the same problem, it was that my MC wasn't bled properly, so I bench bled it again. Maybe there's air trapped in the prop. valve. Try tapping on it with a wrench while bleeding, and also tapping on the brake lines while bleeding gets a bunch more air out as well. Thats all I can think of, good luck Matt.

EK 2.0
07-03-2006, 02:22 AM
One issue I had once was I had TOTALLY forgotten to bleed the second side of the caliper on a 4 pistion caliper set up. I am not sure if that applies to you...but those are the exact symptoms I had. And once I beld the second side of the caliper things were kosher again...

freakin
07-03-2006, 09:07 AM
I'll try to bleed the MC again tonight, then try my luck again. The shitty part is that my rear calipers are mounted upside down, so I have to take them off and stick a 2x4 and flip them to bleed them....so it's a bit of a pain in the ass. This will be my 3rd time through it and the brake fluid is starting to get expensive, hehe.

I'm just running single piston calipers, so that idea with the four piston calipers doesn't apply to me, but thanks for the tip.

PS, does anyone know if there's anything special I need to do with the ABS on a 90-93 Integra? My FSM doesn't show anything special for it, other then how to de-presurize it to take it apart.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

98brg2d
07-03-2006, 12:42 PM
What did you change? Bigger disks in front only? Upgrade from drums in rear to disks? Did the total brake piston area change?

Is the master cylinder correct for the brakes? Normally if you change piston diameter and not master cylinder diameter you will feel a change in the brake pressure.

Is the proportioning valve correct front/rear bias?

Check these things out if you keep bleeding and it doesn't fix the problem. Try to find somebody with the exact same brake set-up as you and see if they have had the same issue.

freakin
07-03-2006, 01:42 PM
It's a 92 integra, so it already had rear discs, so the proportioning is still good. The car has ABS, so it has the 1" MC already...so that's as big as they came as far as I know. I went to 11" rotors up front and 10" out back. All of the people I know with ITR brakes (same size) have gotten away with the 1" MC. The rear calipers are the same, so there wouldn't be any difference there. There's enough people on G2IC with 11's on the front as well without this problem.

It has to be air in the lines....I can't see there being any other propblem.

dj_honda
07-03-2006, 01:56 PM
i'm having the same problem so let me know if you figure it out LOL. i've bled my brakes over 20 times now. the car stops fine, just not as firm as i want it to be, or as firm as i am used to....there is play in the pedal, about half an inch or so. i even swapped the booster as well, just to make sure it wasnt the problem. new mc as well. :dunno: